Letter of Love | Teen Ink

Letter of Love

By Jenny10216 SILVER, Miami, Florida
Jenny10216 SILVER, Miami, Florida

I Know Right

Dear John,

I miss you so, my tribe, though filled with persons, feels like a dessert without your presence. I lie awake every night, in hopes of seeing you once more. Oh, how your warmth envelops me like the light of day. My love for you is as boundless as the sea, and twice as deep. Though we are from two different worlds I still hold a sliver of hope in this trembling heart of mine, for I am nothing without you. Though your words are like sweet nectar to my ears I still do not know what it is that you wish of me. Perhaps I still do not understand the distance between a woman and a man, or perhaps it is the distance between a Powhaton and an English colonial, which I cannot comprehend. Oh, how my heart yearns for you every night. I stare up at the star filled sky and wonder if you are watching those same brilliant stars.

It seems I have strayed form my objective for this was not intended to be a letter of love, but one of information. My dear John Rolfe, though my feelings for you have been a long time so entangled, and enthralled in so intricate a labyrinth that I was even a-wearied to unwind myself thereout, your people must remember their place. They are but guests on our lands and must therefore act as such. On another hand, the tribe is hard at work, farming and hunting seems to be all that we do in these rough times of poverty. I believe that it is not just on this side that we are experiencing shortages. It seems that we have been experiencing rather difficult situations with some of the more rogue colonials. I advise that you handle this before I can no longer sew the seeds of trust between our people. Things such as theft of land and produce will not be taken lightly in our tribe, and it seems that with the recent events my father, Powhatan, is rather infuriated with your people, the Jamestown colonials. My people, will not stand on the sidelines for long. You must take care of the rebels before an all out war breaks out, and our peace is torn open like a lion does his prey.

Your Beloved,

Pocahontas