I See You | Teen Ink

I See You

By Beck-Beck BRONZE, Linklaen, New York
Beck-Beck BRONZE, Linklaen, New York

Sometimes only paper will listen to you.

You know that girl who tries to hide in the shadows? Who never wants to be seen because all people do is judge her? That girl who would rather spend her time with a book and homework instead of a crowd of people? That girl who hides herself because she is too afraid of what people will see. That girl.... is me.
Now, contrary to what I'm sure you believe, I'm not one of those geeky girls who no one pays attention to. I'm actually head cheerleader and the most popular girl in school. I get straight A's and have had more boyfriends than I can count. My dad's a lawyer and my mom's a surgeon, so I have everything I've ever wanted. I go to a prestigious boarding school that has the top education program in the world. You would think my life is perfect.
But it's not. Not even close.

*

*

*
"Call me on Wednesday, Darling. We'll set up a lunch call with your father." Click.
My mother. After only five minutes, she had to go... AGAIN. You would think that being her only daughter would leave some room on her schedule for me, right? Wrong. As she's said before, "A surgeon's work is very important, Darling. They have to be on call almost 24/7 just in case. There is no time for small talk."
But it's not small talk when my best friend got kicked out of school last week because her parents could no longer pay the tuition. Or when my boyfriend broke up with me because I seemed distant. Oh yeah, that F in chemistry wasn't so great either. But she doesn't care about that, no. All she cares about is whether or not her "PERFECT" daughter is still setting the perfect image for her reputation she's spent so long building up.
My father's not that great either. He just says that mother knows best. You know, like from that movie Tangled that Disney made. Or he'll just say that he's not getting in the middle of it. Or if I'm just calling to talk, he'll say that he has to go over a case or question a witness or something lawery like that.
So... that is why mother and I have five minute conversations every Friday before classes and it's also why we have a twelve minute lunch call every Wednesday. And I give them the same answers every time.
"How's Jake?" We broke up over seven months ago, Mom. "Fine."
"How's Sierra?" Who? "Great."
"And your classes?" I'm failing chemistry... and Trig.... and maybe French. "Great."
That's pretty much how it goes. I mean, it's the only time I get with my parents. So, I guess I just have to live with it.
After my call with Mother Dear, I head to my first class of the day, Latin. Which I normally love because I'm the only one who can answer every question correctly the first time. However, today there was a new guy in our class. His name, Pierce McGarret. I mean, he's kinda cute. Okay, really hott. Thick brown hair and dark grey eyes that seem to be staring into the depths of your soul. I wonder where he.....
"Miss Elizaebeth Scott!! Are you paying attention?!" Mistress Vanderman was glaring at me and tapping her foot while the class laughed and I blushed.
"Yes Ma'am. Of course."
"Then you agree?"
...What?
"Uh, yeah, sure."
"Great. Just so you know, you just agreed to show Mr. McGarret around the school."
----.
Pierce took his seat and class began.

*

*

*
After ignoring him all day, I finally told Pierce that I would show him around the campus tomorrow morning at ten. Then I could return to my dorm and start my term paper.
I took him all around campus. From the math building to the social studies building. From the Latin building to the French building. Then, I took him inside all the buildings... and we weren't done until four.
Guess I'm not starting that paper today.
"So..." Pierce drawled. "What do you guys do around here besides study?"
I glanced at him. "Um, not much really. There's a few parties and things we can do in town. But other than that, not much." That's when my phone rang.
I spared him an apologetic glance and said, “Sorry, it’s my mom.”
“No, go ahead, I completely understand.”
I pressed the little green button and my mother immediately started in. “So, your father and I can’t make this week’s lunch. I’m dreadfully sorry. But, you know how work...’
“Yeah mom. I get it.”
“Okay, well ta-ta Darling.” Click.
I pressed the phone against my forehead and sighed. Figures. Work always comes first.
I jerked when I felt pressure on my shoulder. It was Pierce.
“What are you doing, Pierce?”
He just gave me a smile and wrapped his arms around me, but I pushed him away.
“I don’t need pity!” And I ran in the direction of my dorm with him calling my name behind me.

A week later and I was wallowing in self-pity. My mother hadn’t called this week. But I received an email on Monday saying she might not be able to call at all, so, yeah. Whatever. So, I was eating ice cream and watching Hocus Pocus for the eighty millionth time in a row, when there was a knock at my door.
It was Pierce McGarret.
“What?” He just smiled.
“I came to see if you were alright.”
“Why wouldn’t I be?” I narrowed my eyes.
“You’ve just been really down all week, so I brought you more ice cream.”
“Oh, well thank you. I guess.”
He pushed his way inside and I followed him into the living room.
“Please just make yourself at home.” I said sarcastically.
“Why, thank you, I think I will.”
He opened the ice cream and pressed play on my movie. “So, what are we watching?”
I blinked. “Well, I was watching Hocus Pocus.” I gave him a pointed look as I sat down next to him.
“Oh, cool. My favorite.”
Mine too, however, when we got to the end, I started crying. The love that family has for each other, the way Max went through so much to save his little sister, it makes me wish I had a family that cares.
I must have sniffled or something. All I know is that one second I was hugging a pillow on my end of the couch. And the next, I was in Pierce’s arms while he kept trying to calm me.
“They don’t care about me.” As soon as I started, I couldn’t stop. “It’s always work, work, work. They don’t even know what’s going on in my life anymore. I don’t think they even care. Why’d they even have me if they didn’t want me?”
“Hey,” He forced me to look right at him. “They love you. And they want you.” I opened my mouth to interrupt and he put his hand over my mouth. “I’m not saying that they’re in the right. They shouldn’t have to make time for you or run out of it. You should be their top priority. But it’s not just them is it? No, I think it’s also how your grades are dropping and how you just feel alone and like nobody sees you. Am I right?”
Yes, he was. But it’s not like I’m going to tell him that. At least, I wasn’t going to, but I did.
“I just want someone to see me.”
He cupped my face in his hands and whispered, “I see you. For you. Not the image of you. Not the thought. But you.”
And then he kissed me.

Beck-Beck BRONZE, Linklaen, New York

Thank you. And yeah, it's one of those, "I have to write this down" kinds of things.

Katyaini SILVER, Greater Noida, Other

Life is like a chocolate covered chilly....

Some succeed because they're destined to;
Most succeed because they're determined too

This is cute... one of the sudden ideas, right? Like when you suddenly have a scene in front of you and you want to pen it down then and there so the magice lasts..... This is wonderfully written.