The Incurable Demon | Teen Ink

The Incurable Demon

By Gabz1 BRONZE, Valley Glen, California
Gabz1 BRONZE, Valley Glen, California

“It’s really pouring out there huh,” Ace said as he watched the raindrops on the window race against each other.

“It sure is. It’s the perfect weather to go out and feel the rain splash into the palm of your hands,” replied Gretchen.

“I bet it is...”

“Want to go outside and check it out yourself?”

“I  can’t ... I’m sorry.”

“That’s all you ever say,” Gretchen thought; her eyes intent and mouth pursed.

A name like “Ace” you’d probably imagine he’d be like Ace Ventura and want to go on these crazy explorations. The Ace she knew was like that five months ago until “it” happened. That’s the name he came up with for the inner demon he faces that lurks unrecognized.

They don’t know what “ it ”  is or what caused “ it ”. As each day progresses, his body feels heavy and weak as if someone were sitting on top of him. Walking outside he is stuck in one place as if he were glued to the floor. A foot out the door an invisible hand pulls him back inside. There was nothing you can do but observe. It couldn’t be helped. As he always said:

This can’t be a three-way battle. You could have the numbers and weapons but no one can be truly prepared to fight the monster within.

It drove her nuts. She hated seeing him lay there in that same spot of the house and not move from there the whole day. Only at night, the generosity of the demon would carry him up the stairs to their room and lock him away.  What a cruel movie the demon has played out for her. All she could do was watch.

The rain continued to pour down hard like a cold shower. Gretchen knew it was a bit of a stupid idea to try to make Ace go outside in the rain but it didn’t matter. She knew how much he hated missing the “little things” because of “it .”

“You know dear if you’re planning to sit on that sofa the whole day, you could walk a couple steps and watch the rain with me on the patio” Gretchen said. “I can’t, ” he replied. “Sure you  can  you’re just being stubborn.” “Honey, Listen to me I  ca —.” “Put your shoes on and come outside with me Godda—!”

“GRETCHEN I DON’T KNOW WHAT LANGUAGE YOU THINK I’M SPEAKING BUT  I F***ING CANT!  I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS S*** TO HAPPEN, OKAY.” Ace shouted in the heat of the moment.

.. .Everyday feels like a living  hell. There’s nothing, absolutely nothing, you and I can do about it .”

They both couldn’t believe the words that just escaped into the room. Her eyes widened, arms raised and hands open in surrender. “ I’m sorry,” she whispered.

He sat there in shock with his mouth open and no words falling out. She could feel his body temperature emanating from him across the sofa as she studied his fingers intertwining each other. His body may have sat there frozen, but in his eyes he is screaming on the  inside .

This is a battle none of them could win. She knew that but never wanted to look in the demon’s eyes and face the defeat.

“I bet you that raindrop will fall first.” said Gretchen as she stared at the window with him.

“I bet you that it won’t. The one next to it seems heavier and will fall faster” He said.

“Race you to it.”

“It’s on” he said with a slight smile.

For the rest of the time, Silence sat alongside them like an expected guest. The rain stopped and a shed of light peeked through the window. The rain drops on the window that were racing merged together and overcame the finish line as one big tear drop.