The Lead Up | Teen Ink

The Lead Up

January 18, 2017
By KT_2017 BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
KT_2017 BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Saturday night, I snuck out and had the greatest night of my life. Jacob and I roamed the streets, and visited my old elementary school playground. I felt like a little kid again. After running around for hours, we walked to the closest gas station to get some sodas. After sometime spent protesting by me, Jacob paid for our drinks. I sat on the curb and looked to the sky; it was so peaceful that I ended up closing my eyes. The air felt nice and I felt like I was in a trance. The next second, I felt pressure on my lips, but it seemed warm- upon feeling this sensation, I opened my eyes and saw Jacob, and the warmth I felt was him kissing me. He backed away and I could see him holding a sign.

“So?” Jacob said, glancing at the sign. I was so surprised that I didn’t even read what the sign said. I looked down, and it read- “I’m taking my girlfriend to Homecoming but I need one first. Will you be my girlfriend?” How did I not know that Jacob liked me? I always questioned if I liked Jacob, but now would be the best time to make up my mind.

* * *

Two weeks later, I was sitting in my room, waiting for dinner to be made. My music was blasting, and my cat was curled up next to me. I found myself in that trance again, but I was staring at the glow in the dark stickers (of stars) on my ceiling. I can recall every moment of that night, and how unaware I was of the truth. Homecoming was tomorrow and I was going with my friend, who confessed their feelings for me. I didn’t perceive that I was in love with Jacob, I believed that there was a bit of affection towards him but not love. The dance would prove my thoughts. The next day, I woke up early and took my sweet time getting ready. I was stressed and excited but confused and undecided at the same time. When the doorbell rang, I jumped and realized that this would be our first moment together. I looked in the mirror to do some touch ups, and then booked it out of my room. Where did all this energy come from? Why was I so excited?

My mom was talking to Jacob, but stopped when she heard my heels hitting the ground. Jacob wore a suit but I noticed that his tie matched the color of my dress. How did he know? I glanced at my mom, who was smirking at me. Of course she would do that. I reached the bottom of the stairs, and walked over to Jacob. My heart started to beat faster and faster with each step I took. I ignored the sensation and pulled him in for a hug. His breath was warm, like that kiss many nights ago. He rubbed my back before letting go. My mom gave him the corsage, and I the boutonniere. He slipped the corsage on my wrist, ever so gently; he acted like I was glass and he didn’t want to break me. With a little help from my mom, I put his boutonniere on. We faced my mom, who already picked up the camera, and we squeezed together for a picture. I don’t know why I felt so awkward, but the feeling went away when I felt Jacob squeeze my side. As friends, we were always playful but was this considered flirting? After several more pictures, we were finally free of my mom. Jacob’s parents always gave him everything he needed and then some, so when we stepped outside, there was a black SUV, with a driver waiting outside it.

I looked at him and smiled, then I hugged him.

He chuckled and we walked to the car. The ride to our school was short but I was happy because it was awkward. After getting out of the car, and waiting in the huge line, just to get in, we were finally in the gym. I ran over to some of my friends but realized that I left Jacob alone, so I walked over and asked if he wanted to dance. I had such a great time, acting silly and singing along to the songs the DJ played.

Everything was going good until a slow song came on; I looked at Jacob, who right away who looked at me too. He took a step forward and grabbed my hands. He lead the dance, and I put my head on his chest. I tried to focus on the music playing because I was so nervous but the only words I heard were “I found love where it wasn’t supposed to be, right in front of me.”

I looked up at Jacob; this was my realization point. Since the moment he asked me to be his girlfriend, I had a funny feeling in my stomach. The feelings I had throughout the day was love, which I was so blind to. When I was doubting myself, I was really feeling the opposite in my bones, in my heart and mind. I was, undoubtedly, in love with Jacob. They told me there were no side effects to love.


The author's comments:

I was inspired by my own personal love life. At the time that I wrote this piece, I had developed a crush on a boy who was a year younger than me, though nothing ever happened, he brought "Jacob" to life. Whenever I read the story, I pictures him. I hope that readers will pictures current curshes, or past crushes, and what they hope to have/had experinced with them.