Midnight Kiss-Preface/Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

Midnight Kiss-Preface/Chapter 1

April 26, 2009
By KaylaKissesAlways BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
KaylaKissesAlways BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
3 articles 3 photos 14 comments

Preface:

A gush of icy cold wind blew past me. The creaking of my ancient door sent chills down my spine. This house is hundreds of years old. I told myself. It’s just my mom. Moonlight poured into my room from the window. She shouldn’t be up this late. I caught a movement out the corner of my eye. Someone, or something, was in my room. I instantly closed my eyes, hoping he intruder wouldn’t notice I was awake. I held my breath.  I could feel the person right in front of my face. I opened my eyes a little to see the person. The first thing I noticed was a pair of bright silver eyes staring back at me. I opened my mouth to scream, but the eyes were gone. I swept my eyes around my room. There they were again. The silver eyes surrounded by the body of a teenage boy at the foot of my bed.  He had dark, chocolate brown hair. Even in the dark you could see his silky white skin. He smiled towards me mysteriously. His teeth matched his skin, pearly white.  “You should take a picture, it lasts longer.” His voice rang lightly in my ears. “What do you want?” I squeaked.   “I’ve been watching you, Kristina; you’re becoming more powerful every day. You’ll notice the signs soon.” He was glowing with pride. Once again I was silently staring at him. In one blink he was in front of me again. “You should go back to sleep. I’m sorry I woke you.” He gently brushed his lips against mine. Just as fast as I realized what he was doing, he was gone.

Chapter 1:
It was a bright Monday morning in Brentwood, Tennessee. I made a mental replay of everything that had happened the day before while I waited on my best friend, Talia Stevens, by the bleachers of Calico High. We’d known each other since 2nd grade. She had sat with me on my first day at Skylar Elementary school and we shared that day’s snack of cookies and milk.  Even though I’d known Talia for years I was still caught in awe at her striking features. Her thick black hair had always been cooperative and never dared to go frizzy on a humid day. Her eyes fit her face perfectly, a baby blue that said,” I’m mysterious and always up to something, want to be my friend?” Her waist was so small; she barely fit a size 0. She had curves, too.
“Hey Kristina,” Talia said as she walked up from the school bus, “How was your weekend?” 
“I’m not sure.” I spoke quickly. Ever since the person, whoever he was, kissed me all I could think about was him. I have to find him.
“Kristina are you okay? You look like you just saw a ghost. Anyways we better get to algebra. You know how Mr. Butler gets when we’re late.“
Uh, ok.”
As soon as I stepped a foot into the classroom Mr. Butler called me to his desk. He was a tall man, but he was lanky. His hair line was receding and turning a bright gray. He always wore brown pants, a plaid shirt, suspenders, black shoes and glasses that didn’t fit his face.“The registrar wants you straight away.”He said while shoving the hall pass at me.
I made my way to the office. I walked in and looked up at the registrar’s office. My feet planted themselves into the ground. Standing at the desk was the same kid from the other night. At least I think it was. My mind swam around like a dream as I thought of that night again. Everything was the same about him except for his eyes. They were now a dark brown matching his hair.
“Contacts!”I mumbled under my breathe.
“What was that Miss Keller?”
“Uh, you wanted to see me?” I spoke nervously.
“Ah, yes. Kristina Keller, this is Kyle Brodner. He’s a new student and I want you to show him around. He has all of your classes.”
“OK,”I said faintly, “Follow me.”
I walked out silently. A million thoughts flew around my mind: Who is this kid? Why is he here? Was last night just a dream?
“Did you miss me?” He asked smoothly.
“Umm no?” I said more to myself than him. He skipped ahead of me and grabbed my face with his hands. I jumped away from his icy touch. He pulled me aside from the school cameras and teachers. He moved so swiftly that I was to in shock to fight back. He leaned in again, this time to kiss me.
“No. I don’t know you. How did you get into my house? Why can’t I think about anything but you?!” My hand flew to my mouth.
“Nice.”He smirked.
“No, no. That’s not what I meant! I meant-“
“That you are in love with me and can’t think about anything other than me?”
“Stop that!”I urged,” I’m not in love with you and I can think of other things! You were not in my house the other day and you don’t have silver eyes!”
"Come with me.”He motioned. I hesitated. The logical part of me said that you should run away from him, but something inside me sad go. He pulled me on his back with surprising strength. My heart skipped a beat and I hung on tighter when my stomach dropped. The icy winter wind whipped my thick, curly red hair around my face. I squeezed my eyes shut, not wanting to get motion sickness.After about 30 seconds he said I could open my eyes. We were in the center of the woods. I recognized the place instantly. When Josh, my 1st serious crush, embarrassed me I tried to run away here. I was here for 3 days before someone found me. “Why did you bring me here?” I asked impatiently.
“To prove to you that you’ve known me, without knowing me. Remember when you ran away here? Well I was running away, too. I didn’t exactly have a place in my last coven. I wasn’t intending on staying here. I was running to, well to nowhere. You have such a strong smell, Kristina; you are the one that brought me here. I wanted to hunt you, but I couldn’t. I’m not like other vampire, Kristina. I don’t want to feed on humans.”
“Ok, I’m totally lost here. Slow down. What are you first of all?”“I’m a vampire, but I’m not like the one’s other humans describe. I don’t kill humans. I kill, or eat, animals. I would never hurt you Kristina. Please don’t be afraid.”
“Umm Kyle, there is no such thing as vampires. There are only animals and elements and things no one understands, you are human, Kyle,” I explained.
“No Kristina, I’m not human. Neither are you. You just don’t know it yet.” He just stood there waiting for a reaction that I couldn’t give him. I didn’t know what to do. I thought this was a joke but he was serious.
“Prove it.” That was all I could say. “Prove to me you’re a vampire. Prove to me that I’m anything BUT human.” Tears were streaming down my face. I wanted to believe him. I knew he was telling the truth, but I felt I’ve heard it before. I had, in a dream. When I had run away here I had a dream that everything that was happening was true. The night in my room, him coming to the same school as me, bringing me here, it was all in my dream. He was now standing there with a confused look on his face. I’m not sure why, but it seemed as if he could hear what I was saying. That he was looking at the mental reply of my dream that was so clear now.
“You knew I was here?” He questioned. I couldn’t answer. I didn’t know how, but I did.I stumbled as I tried to find the right words. What I had seen was everything to happen between Kyle and me from the night of my dream until…Death.  
“You really are him. The guy from my dream and the same person from my room. But you’re eyes, they’re brown. They were silver.” I managed to say audibly. 
“Oh, well I did some research and silver eyes aren't really common in human world.” He spoke with distaste.”So I got some contacts. Not all vampires’ eyes are silver though. There are 3 types of vampires: Blue, Silver, and Yellow. Blue is the color for the ones who feed on humans. Silver, is animals. Yellow is the color of the ancients. There are only four people, that are still alive, that are yellow. Some people call the Ancients the Ethnics. There is one for each main group. Jerick who is African American, Tiffany who is Caucasian, Kiri who is Asian, and Carlos who is Spanish.”
“Oh,” was all I could manage to say.“I know it’s a lot to take in.”
There were footsteps behind us. Really big footsteps. There were many feet working at once. To light-footed to be human. They were more like dog-steps. Wolves.
“Get away from the filthy blood sucker, Kristina.”I heard Talia’s squeaky voice say. “Talia? Is that you? It’s ok, he’s not like you think. How’d you know he was a vampire?” I questioned.
“I’ve known about him for longer than you think.” She replied acidly.
“You know her?!”Kyle spoke.”I’ve done nothing wrong, Talia. Take your pack and leave.
“This is our land, Kyle. You are not to feed on any human. We will stay until you are done talking and she is home safe in her bed.”
I stood there silently and confused. Why did Talia not like Kyle? Why did she think that Kyle wanted to kill me? How did she know about Kyle being a vampire? Where was Talia anyways?A twig cracked behind me. I turned around faster than Kyle ran, or so it felt. Coming from between the thick trees was a gigantic wolf blue-black sleekish hair. I automatically knew this was Talia. She had just recently gotten blue streaks. I wondered if her wolf form would take the same look.Then it hit me, she was a wolf! Not just a wolf, but a werewolf! I was starting to wonder if I was dreaming, or worse, going crazy. She turned in front of me and starred deeply into my eyes as I gaped at her with my mouth open. I could tell she was searching for fear or distress. I pulled my eyes away from her to look at the rest of her pack. There were two smaller wolves with her hair, her little brothers John and Michael. Michael was definitely the smaller one. He was the youngest of the three. There were two other wolves. One had messy blonde hair and the other had red curly hair that kind of looked like Justin James from my homeroom. Five werewolves total, five extremely large werewolves.I turned back at Talia with pure rage radiating from somewhere inside.“Why didn’t you tell me?” I spoke through clenched teeth,” How long was it going to take my so-called best friend to tell me she was half dog!?”
“How long were you going to wait before telling me you’re a witch?”She replied hastily.
“What?! You honestly think I’m a witch? O.k. now I really have heard and seen it all!”
“Kristina, I was just getting to that part before the pound hounds showed up.” Kyle spoke up.
“Oh come on you guys! Next thing you’re going to tell me is that pigs can fly!”
“You are a witch, Kristina. There’s no hiding it. Don’t believe us? Think of anything you want right now and I guarantee it’ll happen.”
“Fine! If I really am a witch than I want my mom to call me right now!” I yelped as my cell phone started vibrating in my jean pocket. I pulled it out cautiously. The caller ID said Mom. I dropped the phone instantly as if it were the devil himself. My mind swam as my vision turned into two long dark tunnels caving in on themselves. The last thing I remember was growling, and pain.


The author's comments:
I have been working on this story for a while. I have written more but I am in the editing stage and this is all I've edited so far. Let me know what you think!