Sleep | Teen Ink

Sleep

March 27, 2019
By kathytennis SILVER, New York City, New York
kathytennis SILVER, New York City, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
-Michael Scott


 I held my breath and closed my eyes. A low growl emitted from the other side of the closet door. The pain in my side started to pound and increase until I was forced to crouch down. Slowly, and hesitantly, I started to take my hand away from my side. I opened my eyes and allowed myself to breathe. Breathing was the only thing keeping me from screaming.

      The growl became louder.

      I stopped moving and looked into the darkness. I held my breath once more. I heard heavy footsteps come closer to the closet I was hiding in. Blood pounded in my ears.

      The growling stopped.

      Footsteps became more distant and I could breathe again. My eyes became more used to the dark and I could see my outline against the blackness. My hands were shaking. I raised my left hand up to my face and saw blood.

      My attention was brought back to my side.

      It was as if someone was continuously stabbing me and each time with a bigger knife. I could feel blood coming out of me like a fountain, not stopping, not wanting to stop. I could tell that the wound should hurt, but I couldn't feel anything anymore. Everything was numb and all I wanted to do was go to sleep.

      I remembered the others in the house, how it had ended with them, how I ran to save myself.

      I started to cry.

      I hadn't cried for years until then. I wasn't sad. It was an involuntary thing. I sat up, leaning against the walls of the closet. I was tired. My breathing was coming in hiccups thanks to my crying.

      My hand went back to clutch my side. I looked down and slowly peeled my shirt away from the gash. I could see myself now. A teardrop fell down on my wound and I winced as I heard it sizzle.

      It was getting bigger.

      The acid that the creature spat at me went deeper into my skin. I sniffed and looked down.

      I wanted to throw up.

      The acid was eating away at my entire stomach. On my left side I could see the tissue of my muscle bulging out, bleeding profusely. I looked up at the roof of the closet and closed my eyes. My shoulders slumped and I rested my head on the wall.

      Sleep.

      That's all I wanted to do. I knew what would happen if I did but that's all I wanted to do.

      Sleep.

      My whole body was full of aches and pains and sleep could-should make me better.

      Sleep.

      I never thought I could want this so much. The feeling of ultimate exhaustion; of wanting to die.

      I opened my eyes at this realization.

      I wanted to die.

      My breathing came out in shallow gasps as my eyes gently drooped shut.

      Sleep.

      I let go. And I was right. I didn't feel pain anymore.

      All I did was sleep.