Punk | Teen Ink

Punk

April 24, 2019
By zfrando BRONZE, Lincoln, Nebraska
zfrando BRONZE, Lincoln, Nebraska
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Marx was a guy who always minded his own business and never got in trouble with anyone.  His mother had taught him to be polite. He knew what was right and what was wrong. But in this moment he didn’t care.  What he was doing felt so right but it was so wrong. Marx hated selfish people, he loved to watch the “elite” crumble off their ivory towers.  Marx was a thief and a killer. And a good one too. He had countless names under his belt. His current job was a CEO of a chemical company. He always did his homework and made sure not to trip any alarm systems.  His friends called him a wanna-be Robin Hood. But he didn’t give all the money away. And he always left enough for the family to have a funeral. Marx was never alone in these matters either. His earpiece crackled alive.


“Hey your coming up on the office, there’s a camera in the right corner so smile pretty.”


That’s Reggie, he’s Marx’s get away driver and man behind the curtain all rolled into one.  He’s also a flying sea turtle. Who likes punk. A lot. Marx was pretty sure that Reggie was the only turtle that could grow hair, let alone a mohawk.  


“The iris scanner is going to be somewhere on the back wall, try the painting.”


Marx held up a severed eyeball and the scanner bleeped on.  After the scan a click sounded and the back wall started to swing open.  The room that was opened was small and dark. Their were only two things on a pedestal in the middle of the room, one of them was an AC card, (accountant card).  The other was another kind of card. Marx grabbed both and walked outside of the office.


“Well that was pretty smooth sailing,” Marx said into this mic.  


“Too soon bucko, you got armed guards surrounding the elevator and all of the stairwells.”


“You couldn’t have told me this before I started walking outside?” Marx asked.


“Look, don’t sweat it, we placed charges on all the main infrastructure of the building last week,” Reggie reminded him.


“Umm, I’m still in the building jacka**.”

“Meet me outside the office window.”


“I hate when we do this.” Marx sighed.


“Well it’s either that or you’re meeting your maker.”


Marx had no choice but to jump.  Just as he got off the comms, armed guards came crashing into the corridor in front of the office.


“FREEZE!”


Marx turned around and bolted towards the nearest window in the office and jumped through the glass all while a hail of bullets peppered the wall and floor around him.  As he jumped he hit the detonator button on his vest and level by level you could see an explosion work its way up the building. Marx began to panic when he realized he was free falling and Reggie wasn’t there.  


“REGGIE!”

 

“What window did you jump out of?”


“THE NEAREST ONE, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!”


“I’m coming don’t throw a piss fit.”


Marx saw the ground coming up to meet him pretty fast.  It didn’t look too friendly from his perspective. He closed his eyes and began to do the only thing someone in his position would do: Scream like a little girl.  The next thing he felt was a hard shell knocking the wind out of him.


“Man, have you hit puberty yet, I heard you all the way on the other side of building.” Reggie said snarkingly.


“You suck.” Marx replied still trying to catch his breath.


“Did you get the cards?”


“Ya, their right here,” Marx said as he held them up.

“Perfect, let’s skedaddle before the cops show up.”


Reggie started his descent over the streets.  Marx looked behind him to see the tower crumbling to the ground.  He felt satisfied. Marx looked at the cards in his hand and put the AC card away, but he was curious about what was on the other one.  Probably family stuff or company orders. But subconsciously, he suspected it was something more sinister.


The author's comments:

This was one of my summative pieces for a writing class.  I wanted to end on a cliff hanger but this story has a lot of potential to expand into a better one I feel.