the final wish | Teen Ink

the final wish

December 17, 2020
By wanderingballoon BRONZE, Mountain View, California
wanderingballoon BRONZE, Mountain View, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Life was a funny thing. You could go through it all without making any mistakes, playing the game exactly as you were supposed to, and still lose. That wasn't a weakness. It was just living. 

Vanya wished it was a little more fair, but life never seemed to listen to her for anything and it certainly wouldn’t start now. So she shucked her purse over her shoulder, and shoved her way through the crowds. 

Before her, the shuttle bus filtered through the churning of people making their way through the tight street. It towered over their heads, the rusted metal glinting in the light and made Vanya squint. The dull orange light glowing from the front barely filtered through the heavy rain, and it felt like the only source of warmth in the washed out greys of the city life around her. 

Gripping her umbrella a little tighter, Vanya moved past the bus and wound around the corner to walk towards her destination. By this point, her shoes were completely soaked through and the feeling of wet socks squishing around in her shoes was something she’d never get used to. If it weren’t for the umbrella, her clothes would be sopping wet too.

As Vanya rounded the last corner, her eyes immediately trained on the huge building straight ahead of her. Now this building, it really glowed. It was so much brighter than that small orange light blinking on the bus and it felt as if it drew everyone’s attention straight to the front doors. They were impossible to miss--twelve feet tall with stained crystalized glass decorating the surface.

It was beautiful, and everything she needed it to be. That huge building was the home of the ballroom for the dance she’d be attending in just a few minutes. A celebration, to be specific, one that happened every weekend. She looked forward to these all week, and never got tired of going.

The steps leading up to the doors were long, and Vanya was embarrassed at how quickly her legs got sore. There were less people heading for the doors, which was a bit of a relief. Too many people in one place still made her uneasy, even after living in this city for years. 

The guards at the doors nodded at her, and quickly directed everyone into a new room, barely giving Vanya a moment to stop and admire the inside of the place. It was every bit as beautiful as the outside, maybe even more so. The heavy purple drapes fell from the ceiling, their vibrant color making the crystal chandelier even more starking. The walls were covered with beautiful paintings from artists Vanya has only ever heard of from history books. They were more expensive than her entire life. The thought made her mouth dry.

As the group headed towards the main hallway again, Vanya could feel her heart beating faster. She slipped off her shoes, replacing them with the heels she kept in her bag (a girl would never walk through the city with heels, it’d be suicide) and she almost favored the wet socks over the pinched fabric. But without even a second to consider switching back, the grand doors opened and everyone spilled into the ballroom.

The sweltering feeling of life filled her, and the sheer amount of people felt more welcoming than it ever had before. It was so familiar, so comforting, and Vanya never wanted to leave. 

The pianist at the center of the room began playing, and without a moment's notice, the dance began. 

Living is strange. It seems too much at times, and it’s one of the hardest things Vanya has ever done, but if she was being completely honest, dying was even stranger. 

One moment you’re standing amongst your friends in a lavish ballroom, surrounded by beautiful smiles and laughter (a feeling of home) and the next, just nothing. 

An indescribable feeling, but it was akin to a snapshot. You’re living in the moment, until it freezes, your mind turns off and the world stops. The curtain falls.

It came back almost immediately, but it was different. Vanya wasn’t surrounded by people anymore, and the piano wasn’t playing. She was in a ballroom with only one other figure to keep her company. 

It wasn't good company. Her laughing and dancing crowd had been replaced by a shadowy figure, with a large scythe in it’s hand and long thin fingers reaching towards her. 

Vanya swallowed, and the bubble in her throat grew. She went in to suck in air, only to realize she didn’t need to anymore. “Is it my time, then?” she asked curtly.

Death (and who would’ve guessed he’d look exactly as the childrens books assumed?) quickly replied. “Yes. It was quick, at least.”

“I see,” Vanya said, glancing towards the ground. Her beautiful red dress reflected on the marble floors. “May I finish this dance? It was my first one tonight.” She squeezed her eyes shut, shocked at the sudden onslaught of tears. She didn’t even realize they were there. “And my last, I suppose.”

“You’ve already passed on my dear,” Death siad, not unkindly. “I’m afraid there isn’t anything left to finish.”

Life was unfair, Vanya thought. It was harsh and unforgiving and wouldn’t listen to her. She played by the rules, at least she thought she did. She tried her best. She didn’t ask for much. Just one dance.

One last fulfilling dance.

Life never listened to what Vanya had to say. And, apparently, Death didn’t either. 


The author's comments:

inspried from a late night thinking about death. not much else to say.