The Final Fight: Grendel vs. Beowulf | Teen Ink

The Final Fight: Grendel vs. Beowulf

March 15, 2021
By alexadger BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
alexadger BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I begin the day with the bright sun shining into my dreary palace. As the clock turns, the yearning to kill grows more and more intense. When the moon is finally at its apex, I ravage through the villages of the Danes and seek my next meal. Townspeople call me the monster from hell because of my eating habits, but my name is Grendel. The Danes shout my name in fear as I prowl through their villages, frightening them. My name echoes through all parts of Harot; I acknowledge the power and control I have over the Danes. Nothing in Herot has changed much since I began feasting. Herot has the same villages and the same Danes; however, something about tonight’s buffet is different. King Hrothgar’s land is crawling with new faces. The abundance of fresh faces only intensifies the excitement I have for tonight’s feast. The new prey looks sound asleep. I enter the chamber in which they are and pick up a man to devour. While indulging my appetizer, the surrounding men awake and repeatedly shout one name: Beowulf. 

This so-called Beowulf claims to be the slayer of all evils. I extend my demonic talons to add Beowulf to my menu, but he does something I have never experienced before: Beowulf fights back. I exclaim cries of pain as the warrior bends my claws so far back that it becomes almost impossible to fight back. The world around me starts to blur; it is hard to focus on fighting back with the amount of pain I am experiencing. The rumbling city and constant agony tempt me to evacuate back to my murky safe house, but I am too weak to move. When I can not hear my own screams, shrieks of horror from the Dance vibrate down my spine. It is at this moment I know that there is no more I can do to save myself. My cries turn to shouts as I feel the ripping of my right arm. The world darkens around me, only seeing the silhouette of my arrogant adversary cheering in front of my helpless body. With the remaining strength I possess, I grant my earlier wish and retreat back to my marsh. In my last few moments, I look at the glimmering moon shining just as brightly as the sun this morning. Just before I close my eyes, I once again hear cries from the Danes; however, they are now joyful and celebratory because I will be out of their lives forever. At this time, I shut my eyes and drift away into my eternal slumber. 


The author's comments:

From Grendel's point of view during his fight with Beowulf from the epic Beowulf