I'm Feeling Good | Teen Ink

I'm Feeling Good

TW // blood, gore

The balloon swayed in the wind. The white rubber stretched to its maximum bulbous potential. It floated easily. Drifting along the street. A long silver string tied to the little knob that sealed the air inside of it. A little boy, about eight years old, chased after it. His long blonde hair bounced as he whooped and hollered. 

“Wait!” He yelled. His little flip flops slapping heartily against the pavement. The balloon floated on. Cooly and indeterminately. It bumped against a man standing in a puddle down the street. The little boy skids to a stop. His heart racing in his throat. 

“Umm, excuse me mister could ya get me my balloon for me please. It's a goin so fast I can’t catch it.” He pants wiping sweat from his little forehead. His dirty fingers tap on the man and he turns around. He had an elongated smile and his eyes were dark like a swarm of wasps. He nodded at the boy. But said nothing. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a handkerchief. Then another. He pulls until a long string of colorful clothes lay on the sidewalk around him. The boy giggles in delight. The masked man reaches into his back pocket and brings out a small bird. It chirps and the man closes his hand and the bird erupts into flames with a loud pop. His hand is unharmed. Awestruck the boy reaches out to touch the flames. But the bird is back. Safe and sound. He claps. The bird disappears and so does the man and the colorful clothes. The balloon floats in his place completely still. The string is tight as if someone is stretching it out. The little boy reaches out to grab the string and the moment his hand makes contact the large air filled rubber bubble pops. Bird feathers and blood and small bones splatter all over his young terrified face. His screams echo down the street as he runs. His light blue shirt is soaked in blood. And the more he tries to wipe it off the more blood he sees. It coats his arms and bare toes. He screeches in fear. Sobs erupt from his throat. He sprints to an apartment building and climbs into a hole in the wall on the stairwell.
“Little boy, I found your balloon for ya.” The man says. The boy's mouth is filled with blood now. He coughs and sputters. Red shoots everywhere. He looks up out of his hiding spot and sees a white figure. A woman in a dress. He coughs again and blood sprays through  the back of her translucent dress. She’s a fake doll. They're getting ready for the halloween party. 

The strange man's voice rings down the hallway. 

“Little boyyyyy!” The blood is thickening now. The boy coughs and gags again. His body shudders. His lungs are filling up now. His body feels like it's swelling with blood. His body morphs and expands until it makes a loud snapping noise and the man takes the light blue balloon, ties a silver string to it, and twirls it around his finger. He nods at the fake woman on the staircase. 

“Good Afternoon. Nice weather huh?” He says. She sways buoyantly.  He walks down the stairs running his finger along the black railing. The hotel door chimes as he makes his way out to the street.
“Come along, '' he says to the balloon. His dark pants shift and rustle. The street is empty and quiet. He forms his fat lips into an o and begins to whistle. He quotes the words in his head. 

Birds flying high….. You know how I feel…… The notes echo off the empty rooftops and buildings. They swerve and bounce into pubs and late night shows. Open signs flash. But all is silent. The diner smells of Fabulosa, old grease and apple pies. The hot dog stand is steaming with heat. Sausages roll over the long metal rods as the stand cooks in the road. Bright flashing lights, the smell of dumplings, kettle corn, roast beef, and meat. The hot sun beats down and the winds churns making a colorful scent. 

The man smiles to himself and tugs the balloon behind him. He walks along the road and nods to the music in his head. His dark boots clomp noisily. 

He walks to a gas station. The lights flash and popcorn pops loudly inside. The machine shudders and squeaks. He takes a jug of gasoline in each hand and begins pouring it down the sidewalk as he walks.  He nods at a stout woman in the window of a shop. She stares at him her face pale in terror. The smells drift away and the sky changes colors deep purples and yellows. Balloons float together.  A colorful masterpiece in the air. Like a painting intricately formed slowly over time. 

He imagines each and every spirit inside. Singing along with him. Millions of voices echoing. Harmonizing together. He can hear the music now. He sways with the melody in his own mind. 

Breeze drifting on by… you know how I feel….

He continues his whistling tune as he reaches the end of town. 

He reaches into his jacket and removes a simple lighter. 

Oh, freedom is mine….  He flicks it on. The flame lingers in the air. Bright red and orange. He sniffs the flame. The man takes a deep breath and exhales slowly. He turns around and lazily tosses the lighter onto the stream of gasoline behind him. The flames roar. He smirks. The smoke hit the balloons and the multicolored sky was sprayed red. It hits the side of buildings and flies through the air.  The spirits are screaming now. Their wails are drowned out by the song in the man's head. It’s a new dawn…. It’s a new day… 

The fire travels quickly and licks its way around until it devours everything. Loud pops ring out in the air. Blood drips from buildings and coats the sidewalks.  The last balloon rests in the palm of his hand.  Light blue.  The man looks into the balloon and sees the spirit of the boy screaming and crying. He makes a face at the boy inside. A hideous snarl erupts inside of his throat. He licks his lips. The blood on the buildings begins to crawl, each droplet morphs and slinks to another. Almost as if they are drawn together. The man stares at the giant blob forming happily.  

His dark eyes swim with unspoken glee. The boy screams louder as the blob draws nearer. His tiny voice muffled. The man grabs the balloon and shakes it. It pops from the pressure. The little boy falls out of the balloon and his new birdlike body is twisted grotesquely and his large drawn out face and red eyes peer at the man angrily. He sinks his new claws into the man and throws him into the giant blob. The blob screeches. And the man screams as the boy rushes at him. His long blonde hair was stained with blood. He jumps on top of the man and digs his claws into his skin. It shreds like paper and green goo seeps into the red blob. The man shudders and the boy rips into his neck.  He  eats the man and his body contorts to its normal image.  His smile is wider and he is taller. He is a man now. He picks up the green balloon floating in the empty street and walks down the road. Whistling.

And I’m feeling good….. 

I think this piece is much different than I usually write. But I enjoyed writing it. I hope you enjoy it.