Flames of fear | Teen Ink

Flames of fear

By ktziie BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
ktziie BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas

A shrill cry echoed in the haze. We had barely started driving down the road when suddenly a strange presence was felt. I tensed up looking out the window. I could feel a presence calling me, drawing me out of the car and into the mysterious woods.

I could not see anything, but I could feel it there, its presence growing stronger with each step I took. I wanted to turn around and run back to safety, but something was holding me back. I had to keep going, following the mysterious force deeper into the eerie forest. The woods were dark yet calming, and the air was still and silent. The shadows of the tall trees seemed to form with the moonlight barely filtering through.  

My friends ran into the forest after me, they were immediately filled with a sense of dread. Suddenly, something moved in the trees, a branch snapped, and we froze. My friends called out my name, but there was no response. Their voices faded away into the silence. So, they moved deeper into the woods, their panic grew.

They saw a flicker of light further within the woods, as if there was a fire burning in the distance. We went near the source of the light, and saw a group of people dressed oddly, gathering around a single tree. They were chanting an ancient invocation. The scene seemed so nefarious, as they seemed to move like ghosts in the dark. The people soon turned to face us, their expressions solemn and serious. We stood there abstracted, unsure of what to do, one of the members turned and gestured for us to come closer.

The chanting became louder and more intense, and the ritual felt increasingly foreboding. 

As they stepped into the ring, the members joined hands and began to dance and chant in a rhythmic and hypnotic way. The feeling of unease grew stronger, but we were drawn to the ritual. With no way of knowing what would happen. The chanting grew louder, and the ritual began to feel increasingly trance-like.  

They felt a sense of panic because the group was too large and too powerful. And my friends soon realized that there was no way out. As they tried to break free and run away, they were stopped and restrained, unable to escape the members' grasp.

As I watched them from afar trying to find a way to help them. I felt a sense of dread and fear, knowing that my friend's fate was in the cult's hands and unsure of what the outcome of the ceremony would be. The urgency and desperation to help your friends escape from the cult's clutches was strong. I knew that my friends needed to escape immediately and that every second counted. However, you also felt a sense of helplessness as you found yourself unable to intervene. I feared that if I did not act soon enough, it could be too late.  

At that moment, the stakes were high, and the outcome was uncertain. My friends would have to fight with their strength and use every resource at their disposal to find a way to survive.  So, I was determined to find a viable plan to go help them. There was no other option but to muster up all my courage and take on the challenge before me. And that's exactly what I did.

The girl and her friends finally found the strength to defeat the cult, they began to celebrate and rejoice. But just as they were about to celebrate their victory, a loud noise suddenly shook the entire forest, scaring away the birds and squirrels. The girl and her friends looked around in confusion to see where the noise was coming from, and that's when they saw it: a massive, fiery chimera emerged from behind the trees, and it was headed straight towards me.

no