Dwarfs in the Sky | Teen Ink

Dwarfs in the Sky

December 14, 2023
By Anonymous

Jack was riding his horse on a hot day in the woods in the Texas forest. He was searching to sell his horse for gold to help provide food for his father and himself. Jack stumbles across a palace where he sees three knights guarding a huge kingdom. The knights see Jack riding his horse and come up to him, and ask him where he was wondering to. Jack stated he, and his father are in need of food, and he was looking to trade his horse for some gold. So the knights agreed to let him in, to see if he could find himself a trader. As Jack proceeded to roam the palace, he was flabbergasted by what he had seen. Him and his father have a small home in the middle of nowhere, so seeing all of this overwhelmed him a bit. 

As Jack was scouting the area, the guards started shouting to everybody inside,

Screaming ¨NO ONE LEAVES, WE NEED TO FIND THE THIEF¨

He was confused but didn't think anything of it, so he went on his way to find a trader. That's when this mock stumbled across him…

¨Son, can I get your horse¨ He asked Jack.

¨Yes, but I would want 25 gold coins¨ He replied back

¨I don't have gold, but I have something worth way more than gold coins, worth more than anything you could get your hands on¨ He whispered 

Jack was interested, and he wanted to know what the Mock was referring to too, but he and his father could really use the gold for food, so he doesn't know what to do. So he proceeds to ask him what the Mock has to offer. He pulled out a sack with 6 beans, but nothing like he had seen. These beans were gold and green, shining. Jack decided to take the risk.

¨Whatever you do, do NOT get them wet, or you shall see their true form¨ And he rode off into the wind.

Jack starts to follow the trail he took back home, and as soon as he gets to his home his dad is outside watering the garden, and his dad looks at Jack in disbelief asking him where did the horse go. His dad states that was their only way out of poverty and they needed food to survive. Jack shows his dad the 6 beans he traded his horse for, and his dad goes back into the house slamming the door behind him. 

“ What the hell are we going to do with 6 beans jack”

“The man said the beans were one of a kind, and are more priceless than some gold coins, so I was curious Dad” Says jack. 

Jack runs up into his room sadly mistaken by what he has done. Thinking to himself why would I ever trade my horse for beans, and threw the sack of beans right out of the window. Jack decided to keep 2 beans just in case him and his dad ever needed them. The rest of the beans landed into the garden, after his dad just got done watering. It was already late at night so he decided to sleep all of this off. 

CRACK! Jack wakes up to branches thrown into his window, the ground shaking as if there was an earthquake, his dad shouting ¨WHAT IS HAPPENING!¨ That's when Jack has looked out the window and seen a giant beanstalk growing past the clouds. He didn't know what to do, his dad had told him myths as a kid about the beanstalk, but he never truly believed. 

¨Dad where are you, do you see this?¨ Silence..

No way my dad got sent up with the beanstalk, but there still is a possibility. Jack knew this was all his fault and he couldnt leave his dad up there by himself. So he started to plan to climb to the top, but that's when the knights and the king from the palace made their way to the beanstalk, their faces pale and fearful of what they were seeing. 

¨What in the bloody heavens have you done boy, do you know what this means¨ The king yelled

¨I didn't know what they were, a mock gave me them. I thought they were regular beans, but please help my dad get sent up with the beanstalk!¨ Jack panicked.

The King decided to give 3 of his best knights to go up with Jack, but that was it. It was a long trip, but they eventually got to the top. Everything was so much smaller, the trees, water, rocks, even the animals. Jack sees a building in the distance, that has to be where his dad is. But that's when he seen, Dwarfs guarding the building. 

The knights come up with a plan to sneak in to get Jack's dad back,and as the knights grabbed his dad from a cage they decided to make a run back to the beanstock to get back down to the house, and the knights plan was to cut the beanstalk down when they got back down. It was too late, dwarfs were swarming down, so Jack and rest made their way back to the palace for protection. There were hundreds of dwarfs, charging into the palace, ready for war. The people were lost on what to do, and the dwarfs were not holding back. They were fighting back and trying their hardest to keep the gate closed, but that's when it slammed open. The dwarfs were in. ¨Surrender humans, or you shall face the dwarf blades¨ Said the dwarf leader

¨ENOUGH!¨ A man shouted, it was the mock from before. But he was holding something. It was a glowing crown, and all the dwarfs kneeled to the man. 

¨I Obey you Dwarfs to go back up the beanstalk and stay where you belong¨ The mock yelled. Sure enough, they did as he said . Once they were all up, the knights cut the beanstalk, and there was no longer a way up or down. The problem was solved, and the beans were locked away to somewhere no one would ever reach…

The End.


The author's comments:

This is inspired by the fairy tale, ¨Jack in the bean stalk¨ but instead of giants, its dwarfs.