the routine of running | Teen Ink

the routine of running

By WhiteWidow GOLD, Bakersfield, California
WhiteWidow GOLD, Bakersfield, California

Life is not fair because no one plays fair and survives.

the meadow was always pleasant in the day time, but at night, the dark ravine overshadowed any feelings of happiness and peace. it was like she was running in cycles, cold sweat falling over her brow as she went through the routine of running for her life. any hope to apply her surviving skills to end the threat of the myth was false. to cleanse the essence of evil within herself, to stop the beating rhythm of dread that was her life, was to rely on hope… which was too great a risk to take. the leather strap, which held her silver-handled dagger given to her by her father, was now tightening around her ankle, making her stumble through the woods. she had to shove branches out of her way, or risking losing an eye. she meant to stay behind, she really did, but she was taught to survive--and she would. she couldn’t deny her true calling. her light green leafy skin acted like a sponge now, soaking up the excess water due to all the running. the thread of her long, brown hair was becoming undone as she shook her head, to reply to her calling was a great self-sacrifice. this was the way of faeries… to soak up the world around them and never stop. the haunting, never-ending rhyme of her life.

my little sister's writing assignment--that mostly I wrote--involving twenty of her spelling words. She got an A.

Alice_C SILVER said...
Alice_C SILVER, Edgewood, Iowa

We all have dark secrets, just no one knows them.- Me
"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be."-unknown

good very good

Good eye.  I just needed to use 'ravine,' 'pleasant,' and 'meadow' in there....

quinnisabamfloljk BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

There are so many ballads. Achy-breaky country songs. Mournful pop songs. Then there's the rare punk ballad, the ballad of suburbia: louder, faster, angrier...till it drowns out the silence.
-Ballads of Suburbia

Really good. A few things though:

It was kind of weird to picture a meadow, ravine, and woods right next to each other. It felt kind of jumbled at times. It also seems kind of different that someone so bent on survival would have the chance to enjoy pleasantries in nature. All around, really great. ^_^