ARK AIR (prolouge) | Teen Ink

ARK AIR (prolouge)

By elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other
elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

A dark shape rested against a cold wall, waiting, anticipating. He was dressed in black, with a pair of shoes that shone in the darkness. As the full moon came into view, he noticed a young woman across the road who seemed to be in a hurry. As she pulled her three-quarter length jacket around her body for protection against the night air, the figure pushed his body forward and began to follow.
His footsteps were soft, creating no sound as they were snatched away by the night breeze. He began to smile to himself, eager for the moment when he allows his prey to feel his presence.
The fear in their eyes when they realise there're trapped, this was his hunt.

The woman's long hair blended with the night sky, a soft wind blew a few of her raven locks gently backwards, carrying her scent towards the dark figure. He walked about five meters behind, waiting for his chance, his hunger growing. He watched her from behind, her coffee brown jacket which covering a pair a dark blue jeans were both highlighted by the numerous street lamps. With each yielding step of her dark thigh boots his need increased and as she twisted her feet to turn right he surrendered and rose to the sky and landed in front of a fair skinned woman. His eyes flashed red, and a pair of long piercing fangs protruded from his upper lip. His hunger at its zenith, his predatory instincts taking hold and knife-like nails that would slice clean through flesh, he was a predator ready to kill.
‘About time you showed yourself’
the voice came from the woman he had been following, stunned, he did not know what to do. The woman smiled innocently.
‘You’re not that good at hiding, are you’ she taunted ’I’m guessing you just turned.’
She gave another mocking smile, shocked, the man snarled in anger
‘who the hell are you?’
‘you’ve been busy’ she said, ignoring his question ‘you’ve murdered 6 people in the space of only a month, that’s quick work.’
The man lunged forward, his body ready to kill, but he was too slow. The woman pushed on her feet, propelling herself upwards, she reached under her jacket and with her right hand revealed a silver browning handgun. It was the mans turn to smile, but his was more vicious and blood thirsty. As the woman landed on a metal fence to the mans left, she shot twice. But he was equally as fast and dodged both bullets. He jumped backwards and with a powerful thrust of his legs, launch himself at the woman taking her by surprise. His fist connected with her, sending her falling to the ground, she tucked her body in just as she landed, rolling a few feet and then forced herself to stand. Thick blood stained the left shoulder of her jacket, but she ignored it. Raising her handgun again she took another three shots aiming for the mans moving figure. The first two passed by his neck and chest as he continuously flitted to dodge the next bullet, the third penetrated his right shoulder as in cried out in pain.
‘you really think that will stop me, you have no idea what I am do you?’ he sneered
‘oh I know exactly what you are, that's why these aren’t just any bullets.’
The mans eyes widened, he let out another more anguished scream as his wound began to glow.
‘what the hell...have you done…to me?’ he hissed as he fell onto one knee grasping his shoulder.
‘I shot you with a special type of bullet, it releases a poison that rapidly paralyses a large area around the wound while leaving the nerves intact.’ said the woman ‘It’s the only way to stop a vampire at your level short of actually killing you.’ She began to walk towards him, raising her gun once more. ‘But I can’t allow you to continue taking the lives of innocent people’ she stopped in front of him ready to pull the trigger.
‘It’s not going to be as easy as you think’ the man derided
Before she could act he was behind her, he wrapped his arms around her neck and waist tightening them until she choked.
‘If I feed right now then I should heal within a matter of minutes’ he whispered into her ear. The woman relaxed then raised her arm above her head towards the mans neck and pulled the trigger.

Standing in the moonlight, it was all Scarlet Carmine could do to watch as the being began to dissolve into a silver dust. She pitied him as he had once been a person with no mind as to what the world really held. Now as the last of his former self crumbled, a gentle breeze carried the dust to the east as the first signs of dawn approached. As Wagner’s The Ride of the Valkyries signalled that she had a call, Scarlet reached into her back pocket, answered the phone and began to walk.
‘Yes, the jobs done’
‘Good’ came the voice on the other end ‘I expected no less from you’
‘I’ll head back now to file my report’ she said
‘Scarlet I suggest you meet up with Grey and Porter….its about Meckt’ as the voice carried on Scarlet became dazed and all she could do was to whisper
‘No…..’

i had a little trouble giving this piece a tital, so id like to thank the members who gave me some good advice on how to come up with one
i plan to write more depending on how people respond to this piece
hope u all like it

TylerDTM BRONZE, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

How are you?

Oh my god. This is amazing!

Dessometrics BRONZE, Charleston, South Carolina

currently seeking

I loved it every step of the way even if people think vampires are being overused they are branching out into different types who have different strengths and weaknesses the same with zombie movies that are starting to be overused also but i loved this completely please write more! and the story Heartland Academy I wrote a while back i have three more chapters pending i'm sorry for the wait and i dont have to break them up into parts anymore cuz my computers back up and i'm not sneakin on the school interent to type it up anymore :)

Raven_Mi BRONZE,

K.I.S.S.- Keep. It. Simple. Stupid

i really liked it but there r alot of mistakes

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

i no some of its a bit cliche and my grammer and punctuation is terrible, i want to re-write the whole thing as soon as scool calms down.

the vampire thing is not a big deal as they r not the main focus, and they r not going to be movie star guys and model girls, byt i do agree that they r beinh overused, and i was hesitant to put them in, but no way r they going to be like the ones in twilight and if it sounds like the book soz so not intensional, i havnt even read the book

any who as i said im going to re-write the whole thing as soon as i get the time.  

ajkstarr BRONZE, Herndon, Virginia

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."- Margaret Mead

I absolutely loved your first sentance. From there it went downhill a bit. I think the whole vampire thing is being overused right now. The whole scene had a TON of parallels to the first scenee of the movie in the twilight series, ecplise.

Also, and maybe its because the thing says that you are British, realized is spelled wrong and I don't know what thigh boots are.

I thikn your brain works faster than  you type, and you are leaving out words. The sentance that begin with "with each yeilding step..." is wayyy too long. You need to break it up.

One final piece of advice, be careful not to fall into cliches while you are writing. There have been so many vampire books lately, make sure yours is original

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

even if you're just finding your voice u should still, write u know sort of experiment

(if u ever do write that book id love to give it a read)

NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

I've always wanted to be a writer, but I've never envisioned exactly the voice I want to write my dream book in.  It's gonna be about a girl in the medieval time period.  End of dream novel rubric.  That leaves a lot of room for change- which I think is good because I'm still finding my writing voice.  I hope it's gonna be a good one :)

And really, I do love battle banter, but there are sometimes when I just want a book that cuts to the chase and gives me mystery, adventure, and sometimes a sad ending.  But only sometimes, usually I ike books with a ending somewhere between 'happily ever after' and 'and then they all died.'

I must add those books to my gotta read list.  It's rather long at the moment.  As it should be. :)

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

opps

why, it didnt post a single one at first and now it posts all three at the same time. i could really scream right now

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

i love battle banter (as u call them) books, if u haven't already read them i suggest the skulduggery pleasent series by derek landy they r amazing......compleatly. i suppose your right about being able to relate to books and characters aswell as being a little realistic (yet another skill i need to add to the improvement list)

i really love the battle banter (you've got that into my head now) trash talk it always makes me crack up (lol) thats the kind of writer i want to be like, aswell as sarcastic, but no matter what there has always got to be battle trash talk

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

i totally love battle banter (as u call them) books. if u haven,t already read them i suggest the skulduggery pleasent series by derek landy they are amazing...totally. (his books are what got me into writing)

i also really like the book that u can relate to so i guess your right again (one more thing that i need to add to the improvement list)

the battle banter (u've got that into my head now ) fiction books are the type that i would kill to be able to wright like. Aswell as beeing sarcastic at the some time and there has just got to be battle trash talk, it always cracks me up (lol)

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

i love battle banter (as u call them) books, if u haven't already read them i suggest the skulduggary pleasent series by derek landy, he is amazing........ compleatly.

i really love book u can relate to so i guess your right (one more thing i need to add to the improvment list)

the battle banter (u've got that drilled into my head now) fiction books r just like the stuff i want to be able to write, as well as the sarcastic kind and i just love battle trash talk writing

What a cowinidink- we're on Teen Ink at the same time :).  Yeah, I guess you could see fantasy writing that way, although I interpret it to have some traits of reality, so the reader can still relate it to their world.  Yeah, some of those funny books are fun, although I prefer the ones with battle-banter, (as I call it) when then insult eachother as they fight.  Ah, memories... :)

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

oh i forgot to mention the doilouge and the woman. first of all shes not a valkyrie (although thats a really good idea- mind if i use it in the future) any who, shes a vamp hunter (i know spoilers- again soz) and second, the diolouge, i didnt wandt it to be too hard, im a fan of the funny, sarcastic books not the too serious (although some of them r really good) i know its a bit unrealistic for a fight but thats what fantasy fiction is 4 right reading the unrealistic. thats my opinion any way.

again thanks 4 the advice, ill work on my gramma while writing the rest

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

ouch hard words, but true

thanks 4 the advice

i know my gramma is terrible my english teacher has a go at me all the time, if u think this one is bad u should have seen my draft (it was horrific, my mum hit me with a book every time she found somthing wrong ow i have so many bumps i lost count. i know that vamps r being over used at the moment thats why they r not the main focuse in this story although they will appear quite a lot (soz). but good news (i think) is that there r more creatures of sorts like weres (not just wolves) elves, fey and others i just need 2 find a way to make it work.

i might re-draft this piece using your advice u know make it better i working on the 1st chapter at the moment, ill post it the minute im finished

thanks 4 the help

Ok, so I looooove this story.  I was slightly turned off-ish when you introduced that vampire, because those are being so overdone, but that ribbed off the second he blew away.  Your writing was very impressive, especially your imagery.

All that being said- I must move on to a aspect of your story that was... well, not up to snuff.  Grammar!  I'm really not that much of a stickler for it, usually. But these mistakes were cronic!  Capitalization, to start.  And commas should be added in many, many places.  You had run-on sentences all throughout, and in your first paragraph, a misplaced modifier ( at the very end of the paragraph, you made it sound like the 'figure' was the girl's and not the boy's.)  It was good that you tried to vary the words that you started your sentences with, using 'as' and 'with' instead of 'the'- but I think you overused those word, and the sentences became confusing.  I found myself rereading parts of your story, just because I didn't understand the wording.  Oh, and near the beginning, you misspelled the word 'realize.'

Anyway, grammar, spelling, and wording aside- awesome story!!!  The only non-technical critique I have fo this story is that when the vampire and valkyrie, (or at least that's what I think she is, cause of her ringtone) were talking during their battle, I thought it sounded like she was explaining herself and her weapons too much, it was great for the reader to get that bit of information, but I just thought it was inrealistic they'd have that kind of dialogue during a battle.

Great, great story, and I sooooo wnat more.

4/5 stars :)

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

this version is the real one, the grammer is better and it actually has a tital so please enjoy.

ps- the name meckt is supposed to be metz (typo) sorry