How to Flee | Teen Ink

How to Flee

By garfiield BRONZE, Nazareth, Pennsylvania
garfiield BRONZE, Nazareth, Pennsylvania

Tumbling and falling as my body snags on branches, I flip to my feet and I run through the trees. My feet are still slipping on the mud and leaves, but I'm like a stone, even though I can feel the scratches and bangs on my body, I don't stop. I escaped the school that confined me, the school that didn't want me anyway, yet wouldn't let me leave. I was sent there by my Aunt after my mother died. I was always an unwanted child.

So here I am, being chased down by guards—basically being hunted—you see, this school is strict as hell. Kids aren't even allowed to visit home on holidays, they gotta stay in sight 24/7. This place is where parents send their kids if they don't really care about 'em. The Headmaster would still get in loads of trouble if they found out a student went missing, though. They didn't expect me to make a run for it. Hell, I didn't expect it either. I just saw a chance, got lucky, and got the hell out. Some of the guards are pretty dumb, but there's a whole lot of them around so there's rarely a clear spot the make a run for it.

I didn't have time to pack my stuff, so I just grabbed my messenger bag. It's not like I've got a lot of valuables or anything like that, and I'm not that much of a sentimental guy or nothin' but I woulda liked to grab the picture of my sister on my desk. We were never great pals or nothin' but we got along okay. She left before mom died so she never got sent nowhere like me. I kind of figure I'll look for her when I get out of these woods, see how she is, maybe she'll help me out.

The guards gave up chasing, that or they're so far behind I can't hear 'em anymore. I doubt they'd be able to follow this far anyways. After all, they're so proud of their damn suits, they wouldn't wanna get 'em dirty. They'll probably just say I died or something, I'm not worried about 'em calling the cops or anything, they wouldn't do that for a nobody.

So I'm still running—a little slower now—and I see the woods are opening up, and suddenly sunlight's warming my face and I take a moment to welcome it. The woods spread out into a meadow with patches of flowers spread out, it looked like somewhere fairies would frolic.

I walk a straight path until I see a some houses and a road ahead. They look vacant and dilapidated but I knock on each door. An old woman answers the door to the first house and asks
“What you doin' here boy?” as if she hasn't seen anyone in years.
“I, um, well I guess I'm lost. I don't really know where I'm goin' though.” She gives me a glare and looks me up and down.
“Ain’t that uniform from that private school in Sherman County?”

I gulped and stood ready for her to grab me by the collar and take me back.
“Aheheh!” She smiled and laughed. “How'd ye manage to get out? I had a sister once that went there, she never came out til she was grown though, spent most of her life behind those walls, she did.”
“I ran.”

At my reply she became even more delighted.
“You come in, we'll get you where you need to be!”

So I walked into her house. Everything was covered in a thick coat of dust, and there were several cats roaming about. She pointed me towards the couch, and after swiping off some dust with my hand, I had a seat.
“My name is Carter Evans.” I said.

Her shaky hands placed down a tray of cookies on the table in front of me.
“And I'm Granny Widdler, it's a pleasure.” She said with a curious wink.
“What can you be helped with my boy?”
“I'm looking for my sister, I don't know where she lives, she might've even changed her name.”
“You are in great luck my child, to have chosen my door to knock. I am the witch of this county, and I know every living being in these lands.” She said coaxing me towards a rotted stairway.
“In the basement is where I keep my information, come see, come see.”

So I walked down the rickety stairs—I've got nothing to lose—and felt the air get thicker and my heart get heavier. It was dimly lit by candlelight, a wooden desk placed in the middle of the room, with a book on top.
“The book holds the answer” she whispered.

I step forward and open the book to reveal nothing but a set of blank pages, I look at Granny with confusion.
“Place your hand on the page.”

So I do, and the page ripples like it's liquid. Taken slightly aback I place my hand back on the page and look to the witch.
“Say the name of who you are searching, the last name you know they held.”
“Elizabeth Evans” I stutter to the book.

It swirls in a flush and the book is empty all except for one page, listing my sister's name and address, and all other information from blood type to astrological sign.
“What now?” I ask the smiling witch.
“If you set the page ablaze and inhale the smoke you will find yourself where she is.”
“I've really gotta thank you for all this, you've been a mighty help.” I say sincerely holding the page. “My boy, you don't think I've done all this out of the kindness of my heart do you?” She laughed. “Why of course you're going to repay me. I think. Hmm yes. I think I'll have a kidney, and, do you still have your wisdom teeth?” She grinned in anticipation.

No way is this witch getting my organs. I dashed between her legs and ran up the stairs and out of the house, but never underestimate the speed of an angry witch. She was right after me. So I dashed through the meadow and into the woods. Back the way of the school, I didn't think she'd follow, but she did, she did all the way to the building where guards were beginning to swarm around me. I knew I had one last chance of escape.

I yanked one of the guard's cigarettes out of his mouth and began burning the page I kept and breathing in the smoke as fast as I could. The guards had me surrounded and they were closing in fast when everything began to fade and I started hearing voices.

“Carter?” I heard my sister calling out to me in a gentle tone.

My teacher suggested I submit this.