Leaf Tornadoes | Teen Ink

Leaf Tornadoes

By GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

When I was little I always was fascinated by those leaf tornadoes. They spun the loose dirt and leaves in the air and across the ground for a few brief seconds before they dissolved into dust. I loved to watch them as they swirled, seeming to dance.

I used to think they were portals, gifts of escape, a route to bring me to a happier and more exciting place. Worlds of dragons and fairies or ones with magic and where dreams come true were lying in wait for me just through that doorway. I used to chase those tornadoes, but the instant I stepped within its boundaries it evanesced into thousands of shattered pieces. It became an endless puzzle that I was hopeless at completing.

As I’ve grown, I’ve chased fewer and fewer of those mystical leaf tornadoes. Though every time I see one I pause and hold my breath as it sweeps by. Now that I’m older I’m letting go of my childhood wonders and beliefs and they slip farther and farther away from the blissful past. College overcomes my doll house, jobs surpass running barefoot on dew covered grass, ACTs and SATs defeat hide-n-seek and new friends shove my old imaginary ones aside.

I’ve nearly pushed aside my old philosophy of my magical leaf tornadoes, but as I walk through my yard with my younger cousin my juvenile thoughts return as I remember the world through the eyes of a six year old.

“Look!” She points excitedly ahead of us.

My eyes dart the way she directs and my heart stops. Coming right at us is the tornado. My breath quickens as it hits its peak, it’s a large one, there’s no possible way it will miss us. I grab her hand and she squeezes mine as the wind starts to kick up around us. Together we step forward just as it swallows us whole, finally embracing me and all of my possibilities unfold.

Don't ever let go of your childhood dreams. They just may come true...

-John Erslcine

Really? That is so cool! I'm glad you can relate.  Maybe one day one will sweep us away to another world. :)

thewriter247 said...
When I was nine I was in the middle of a leaf tornado, the only one I've ever seen, and when it died down I felt like something special had happened. I went back inside and wrote a story about a girl who was transported to a magical world by a leaf tornado. Your piece really brings back memories!

-John Erslcine

Thanks so much!

-John Erslcine

Thanks! That means a lot!

-John Erslcine

Thank you!

-John Erslcine

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for reading!!

-John Erslcine

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!!

Wings10FeetTall GOLD, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

Nobody's going to wait for you, so do it now.
-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

THis is great! I really like it.

E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
This was really well written, and the feelings were definitely relatable. Great job!

Allicat001 SILVER, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Love is not someone you can live with, love is someone you can't live without."

"Always stand up for what's right even if that means you're standing alone."

This was short, sweet, nostalgic and overall just a cute story!  Great job and keep writing!

GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

Oh okay mabey you should make that a little more clear. But I really liked it, Good job! :)

~unknown

Okay, mabey you should make that a little more clear. But other than that I liked it! good job :)

-John Erslcine

I was thinking that she/he was an older teenager or a very young adult.

~unknown

Aww, I love how when she/he sees another tornado, there isn't any hesitation, just goes right for it! My only thing is, why, if she/he is an adult with a job, does she/he have a cosin who is six? Seems like a rather large age difference their.

Sakuya PLATINUM, Richmond, Virginia
This is really, well, cute! I like how it is short and charming. Though I wish you would use some showing(imagery) instead of telling this piece is still amazing and something that I think a lot of teenagers can relate to

Apollo77 PLATINUM, Brunswick, Ohio

"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”
"Madame, all stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you."
-Ernest Hemingway

oh wow, so charming! It's short and sweet and just so cute, I have never seen or heard of a leaf tornado but it sounds dangerous, anyway It is so pretty and I love your descriptions!