Secrets of the Meadow | Teen Ink

Secrets of the Meadow

January 15, 2015
By Alexginger BRONZE, St.Charles, Missouri
Alexginger BRONZE, St.Charles, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Delilah yawned and stretched her arms above her head. She rolled onto her back and stared up at the sky. The sun was just beginning to rise so the sky had a pink haze to it. This was her favorite time of the day. She sat up and pushed the long blond strands the fell in her face back behind her ear. She took her time getting ready for the day. She spent a moment looking in the mirror, inspecting her light pink dress and long blond hair, making sure nothing was out of order. Delilah was one of the few fairies who didn't mind sleeping in an open flower, this was so she could see the morning sky right away.
“Good morning, Dela!” Delilah heard from the familiar blue flower.
A few seconds later she saw her best friend, Astreaa, launch out of the flower, causing it to sway. Delilah rose carefully from her flower unlike her reckless best friend, making sure her beautiful light pink flower wasn’t harmed. Delilah then flew up trying to catch up with the now blurred blue fairy feet above her before she got too far. Astreaa being a Daylight Hasten fairy didn’t help. Her wings allowed her to fly faster than others which often attributed to her reckless attitude.
“Star, I swear one of these times you’re going to hurt that flower,” Delilah commented once she caught up.  Delilah being Daylight Cure fairy made her give extra care to the flowers and other fairies. She was always seen as a delicate fairy, much like the flower she lived in.
“Nah, that ol’girl? She’s at sturdy as ever ,” Astreaa assured as she flew forward faster making the few dark brown curls in her hair flatten.
“Whatever you say. Oh I almost forgot, I need to go talk to Lunar.” Delilah said stopping in her tracks. Astreaa stopped a few inches above her and descended to her level.
“Oh come on, she’s a night fairy why do we have to bother with her?”
“Because she is my sister, and as much as I dislike night fairies she’s family. Besides mother would never talk to me if I didn’t go through with her requests,” Delilah said and started heading towards the purple rose bud she knew as Lunar’s home.
Lunar was a Midnight Cure fairy, the only difference between Lunar and Delilah, besides their looks, was that Lunar slept through the day and was out at night whereas Delilah was the exact opposite.
Delilah landed on the leaf in front of Lunar’s house, she hadn’t expected Astreaa to follow considering how much she hated night fairies. Astreaa hated night fairies because her mother and father had both been nigh fairies and they left her because she was the only light fairy in the family. Her parents were disappointed in her for being a light fairy, which was wrong. My mother watched over Astreaa like her own child but she never let Astreaa get too close to Lunar because of her hatred towards her parents.
“You didn’t have to come. You know that right?” Delilah asked making sure Astreaa knew she had a choice.
“If mother said to do it then I will live through it. As long as i'm not alone I’ll be fine.” She assured Delilah.
Delilah nodded and softly knocked on the purple petals the formed a bud, “Lunar! It’s me, mom sent me here to-” before she even finished her sentence one petal dropped lose, creating a small gap that served as a door.
“Oh what she can’t even greet us? I swear-” Astreaa started to say but Delilah shushed her, “Night fairies are most times sensitive to the light, Lunar is one of those cases.”
“Whatevs, let’s just get this over with,” her voice grew louder, “Hey Lunar, i'm here too, you know your awesome sister Astreaa!”
There was no response, which Delilah found odd, because her sister always had a rude comment about how Astreaa wasn’t really her sister or how she had been a reject. Delilah always had to get onto her because Lunar, infact, was the only night fairy in their family but mother loved both of them none the less.
"Lunar?" Delilah said cautiously as she stepped inside. The small purple fairy wasn’t home, Delilah even checked her bed which proved to be empty.
"Uhh Star," Delilah said as she peeked her head out of the door, "Lunar’s not here."
For as much as Astreaa picked on Lunar and vise versa Delilah could see that Astreaa was genuinely worried now.
“What do you mean not here? She’s a night fairy she’s gotta be here,” Astreaa said and hurried in searching every inch, like Delilah had just done.
“Star I don’t like this, we should go report this to mother right-” Delilah said turning around just in time to see Astreaa push off from the leaf.
Delilah hurried over to see why she had left so abruptly. Soon she saw the familiar Wildlife fairy, Zelda, she knew to be one of Lunar’s close friends. This particular Wildlife fairy was a rare kind, she was a Neutral fairy meaning she could be awake during the night and the day. Her being a Wildlife fairy gave her the ability to communicate her feelings with living things such as plants and animals.
“Zelda! Zelda wait up!” Astreaa called, luckily her voice reached Zelda before she took off.
“Astreaa? And.. Delilah? What are you two doing over here?” Zelda asked curiously.
Astreaa reached her first but once I landed I explained our situation. Zelda’s small frame shook a little when she brushed back the short orange strands out of her face as she listened. By the look on Zelda’s face and body language they could tell she was worried.
“Oh my! I haven’t seen her in two days. I’ve been working in the woods recently with the animals during the day. Oh I hope she’s okay, if you find her please tell her to come visit me right away! I’ll keep a look out in the woods incase she got lost.” Zelda said before rushing off towards the woods where we saw a few foxes sitting, probably waiting for her. She soon became a blur of dark pink and orange.
“Well what now? She’s the only one who Lunar got close to besides mother, that is.” Astreaa said as they flew back towards their own flowers.
“What about Ikaros?” Delilah asked looking to her left as Astreaa
“Dela! Are you crazy? Ikaros is dangerous and you know it! Your mother made that clear when we were children.” Astreaa said as she grabbed Delilah by the shoulders, shaking her a bit.
“Just because Ikaros is a Flame fairy doesn’t mean she’s bad. Flame fairies are the best trackers and you know it. I know how much you hate it but, she’s even better than you.” Delilah looking Astreaa straight in the eyes, “Now i'm going weather you come or not.”
Delilah began to fly to the north, where the Flame fairy’s residence was located. To Delilah’s surprise Astreaa followed her, “It’s dangerous, if you made her mad you’d be a gonner and if you got hurt while up there alone i’d never be able to live with myself.” Just like that the conversation was non-existent.
Once they found themselves in a vast meadow of orange flowers they assumed they’d found  the Flame fairy’s home. It looked pretty but it was lacking something, something that only a lot of fairies could bring. This meadow was lacking the happiness, and excitement that resided in their own meadow.
“It seems lonely here...” Astreaa whispered.
“Yeah I agree, it makes me feel bad for her...” Delilah replied in whisper as well.
“Who’s there?” A voice boomed from below them. A few seconds later a blur of orange shot up into the sky. Flames spiraled around the fairy making her look fierce. Her black hair was floating and her dress made it look as if she was on fire. This fairy seemed to be angry but she still looked absolutely beautiful.
“What business do you have in my meadow?” She asked looking directly at them.
“I..um...” Astreaa was suddenly unable to speak, which normally never happened.
“You’re Ikaros,” Delilah said, it was more of a statement than a question.
“Yes. Who are you?” Her flames began to die down a bit but it didn’t change how nervous the two were.
“I’m Astreaa, and this is Delilah,” Astreaa had regained her ability to speak at least.
“And you’re here because....?” Ikaros said staring at them.
“We need your help...” Delilah began to tell Ikaros everything. Ikaros listened quietly and let the flames around her disperse. Ikaros looked like a normal fairy, like she would be another fairy in their meadow.
“I will help you but you can’t be around me for long so we better hurry,” Ikaros said and began to fly up higher into the sky. Astreaa and Delilah began to follow her but ran into an invisible barrier that burned slightly at the touch.
“You can’t join me, I’m sorry. I will find her and bring her back safely but you must stay there. I don’t want to hurt you.” And with that Ikaros flew higher until she was just a speck to them. As much as they hated it they stayed and once the sun began to set they fell asleep in a nearby flower .

Delilah woke up to the sound of Ikaros’ voice. She didn’t know how long it had been but it was now morning. Lunar was laying next to her unconscious. She looked up to see Ikaros flying away. She jumped up and flew after her.
“Ikaros wait, don’t go I didn’t get to properly thank you,” Delilah said as she grabbed Ikaros’ hand and immediately pulled away because of the heat that radiated off of Ikaros.
Ikaros just stared at her and shook her head, “You have to leave now.”
“But Ikaros you-”
“Don’t even think about it. I can’t go with you I radiate heat, it would destroy the flowers in you're garden. That’s why I have to stay here. I can’t go back there, besides your mother would never allow it. Even if you were the one to ask. I'm not supposed to be there.” Ikaros said and with that she flew away. When Delilah tried to follow her there was another invisible wall, that burned at the touch, up again.
Delilah watched Ikaros leave and then went back to where Lunar and Astreaa where. Astreaa had found a leaf and laid it over Lunar so she wouldn’t get hurt by the sun’s light.
“What are we going to do? We can’t fly at night and she can’t be exposed to sun.” Astreaa asked.
Delilah sighed, “Maybe one of us should go get Zelda so she can bring Lunar home?”
“That’s a great idea! But which one of us will go get her?”
“You go, you’re faster. Besides if Lunar wakes up I don’t want you two to fight.”
Astreaa agreed and quickly took off heading in the direction of home. It would take her half the time it took them coming here to make it home because she didn’t have to slow down for Delilah.
Delilah explored a little until it started to get dark, she then went to lay down in the flower Lunar was in. She was surprise to see Ikaros sitting there. Lunar was now awake and she was talking with Ikaros. Neither of them noticed her so she stayed hidden behind a petal of the flower.
“Do you think you will ever tell her the truth?” It was Lunar’s voice.
“No, I can’t no matter how much I love her, Nymph is the one who raised you girls so she is your mother. Don’t tell her please, I couldn’t even touch my children let alone take care of hrt.” That was Ikaros.
“Where’s Delilah?” Astreaa shouted from above, as her and Zelda descended landing on the flower with them. Delilah decided to stop hiding and join them now.
“Oh there you are.” Astreaa and Zelda obviously hadn’t heard Lunar and Ikaros’ conversation.
“Well it looks like I went and got Zelda for no reason, since Lunar’s now awake,” Astreaa said.
“Oh I don’t mind i'm just glad my friend is safe!” Zelda exclaimed hugging Lunar,”Besides she may need my help still. So I’m glad to have come.”
“Well I dunno about you guys but i'm tired so i'm gonna go find a nice flower to sleep on before it gets too dark, you should too Delilah. We’ll leave in the morning.” With that she flew off, found a flower and was out within minutes. Zelda and Lunar soon left, leaving Delilah and Ikaros alone.
“I heard what you said, well part of what you said. Who can you not tell the truth to and why can’t you?”
Ikaros sighed, “I guess it doesn’t matter anymore, since you already heard it. The truth is Astreaa is my daughter.”
Delilah hadn’t been expecting that in the slightest, “What? No that can’t be, her family left her because she wasn’t a night fairy. Are you saying you’re the one who did that?”
“No, I gave my daughter to her parents because I couldn’t care for her but it turned out that they wouldn’t care for her either. This is why I can’t tell her the truth, she would be even more heartbroken knowing that not only her fake parents but her real mother couldn’t take care of her either.”
“Is that the truth?” Astreaa’s voice suddenly came from a flower less than a foot away.
Ikaros jumped and looked nervous, “Yes, I’m so sorry sweetheart, I’m so sorry I wasn’t able to-” Astreaa jumped from her neighbouring flower to ours and hugged Ikaros tightly.
“Astreaa don’t you’ll hurt..” Delilah began to say but she noticed Astreaa was in no pain.
“This can’t be. You’re resistant to heat?” Ikaros asked.
“Yes, I never told anyone because I thought it was odd and I didn’t want to draw attention. I just wanted to be normal. Have a normal family and a normal life.”
Ikaros smiled and apologized for her mistake of giving her daughter up. The three of them stayed up all night talking. As they were getting ready to leave Ikaros said, “Astreaa come back whenever you want, you will always be welcome here. I love you sweetheart.”
“I promise I will. I love you to mother.” And with that they headed for home.


The author's comments:

This writing was based off of a piece of artwork my mother did.