Between Life and Death | Teen Ink

Between Life and Death

January 7, 2009
By brand*new*eyes SILVER, Saint Louis, Missouri
brand*new*eyes SILVER, Saint Louis, Missouri
6 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
Misguided ghosts
Traveling endlessly
The ones we trusted the most
Pushed us far away
(paramore)


I watched Joel lay Rose down on the bed. Rose fell limply on the mattress. Her eyes opened and despite the fact she was dying, she smiled.
She had leukemia as a human and when Joel found out she was dying, he bit her. His venom could only do so much, for she had werewolf venom that protected her heart, that kept her half human. Everyone knows that vampire venom cannot over-power werewolf venom.
“Finish it for me,” she said to Joel.
He stared at her, the tears streaming down his face non-stop.
“Finish what?”
“The story,” she said softly.
“His head snapped forward into the quilt. “Why?”
“Because, I want to live,” she said, her own tears falling now. “Let me live. Please Joel.”
I heard Joel sob.
“Joel please don’t cry,” Rose pleaded, running her fingers through his hair.
I felt the couple’s sadness. I could feel Joel’s helplessness. Even after the precautions he had, he was still going to lose his Rose, his miracle. And then I could feel Rose’s desire to live, she needed to be there for Joel.
“Can’t you bite her again!” I yelled now, unable to watch their departure.
They both looked at me apologetically, it only hurt me more.
“No, the venom has saved what it can,” he said.
“It’s not fair,” I whispered, my tears matching theirs.
“Delilah,” Lindsey said from behind me, “There’s nothing we can do.”
“I can.,” I hissed running down the hall and out the door.
I knew that I couldn’t stop death personally, but I knew someone that could. And I knew it was next to impossible to try to convince him to agree with me.
I ran through the forest with tears streaming down my face and by the time I reached the shadowed area by the lake, I was going into hysterics.
I fell to my knees, and his arms found their way around me.
“Delilah? What is it?” He begged,
I pulled away from him to stand up. I stared at him with a hard expression that would not be compromised this time.
“You have to help me,” I said.
“How? Of course I will. Are you hurt?”
I shook my head and grabbed his hand without caution.
“You have to come with me,” I said trying to pull him with me.
He didn’t move, no matter how hard I tried, it would be like pulling a brick wall with me.
“PLEASE IF YOU EVER CARED FOR ME AT ALL!”I screamed. The lost feeling, the helplessness, the desire to live, to comfort. They were all emotions that were not my own yet they burned me as if they belonged to my heart.
“What is this Delilah?” he asked, feeling slightly bemused. I felt that too, like I could taste it on my tongue.
I threw his hand down angrily. “WHY WON’T YOU COME!”
“The sun, Delilah. And I don’t know what you—“
“Rose is dying!” I sobbed falling back to my knees. The foreign emotions were all too powerful, sucking the strength from me.
“I won’t ask you to do anything else for me, I promise. I won’t ask you to stay with me at night, I won’t ask you to tell me about Velions, I won’t bug you again, I’ll leave you alone, and I won’t put you in danger again…” I babbled.
“Do you think that’s what I want?” he demanded.
“Please just come with me,” I begged, “Lets not talk about that know, just come…”
“Delilah…”
“Please.”
“I can’t save her,” he said.
“Yes you can,” I argued, “Your venom is stronger than vampires and werewolves.”
“I can as in I’m capable,” he sighed, “But the Velions are trying to kill her. I’m already in trouble by keeping her whereabouts secret, and being with you.”
I looked up at him, “But they don’t know you know…and they don’t need to know that you saved her either.”
“Delilah,” he sighed.
“Be a good person!” I yelled as a last option, “You always complain that you’re this demon.”
“The sun—Delilah—it burns me.”
I stood up and put my arms around him. “I’ll protect you.”
He put his arms around me and sighed.
“Please,” I whispered, “It’s not fair for her to die.”
“Life’s not fair,” was his answer.
I ripped away from him. “FINE!”
He was a thousand times stronger than I was, so it surprised me when I actually got away.
“Delilah…”

But I was already running.

When I came crashing in Rose’s room again Joel had lost it and I wondered if it was because of my reaction. Lindsey was in there with them.

“I tried,” I whispered.

“That’s all that matters,” she sniffled.

“Why won’t he help!” I demanded.

“He’s afraid,” she whispered.

I was about to ask why, but someone knocked on the door. Damien came in, but he didn’t look like Damien. He had red marks splashed all over him.

I walked over to him.

“Damien?” I whispered, placing a hand on his burnt cheek.

“I'm so…” he began.

But there were other things that were important. He turned to the bed, where Rose laid.

“Damien can save her,” I said to Joel.

His eyes lit up in anger.

“He’s a Velion!”

“That can save Rose,” I whispered, “His venom will go over the vampire venom and werewolf venom.”

“Either let me bite her,” Damien said, “Or watch her die.”

Joel froze at his emotionless words. He looked down at Rose.

“Rose,” He whispered, bending down next to the bed.

Her eyes opened slowly, like it took all her strength to do it.

“Are you willing to let him bite you?” He asked, though it pained him to do so.

She blinked. “You're asking me to decide?”

“It’s your life, love,” he whispered.

I took Damien’s hand and brushed my thumb against the burn.

“Will you still love me when I'm the creature you hate?” She whispered, crying.

“Shh,” he said, sitting on the edge of the bed. He wiped away her tears with his fingertips. “Of course I will.”

She looked at Damien and smiled, causing him to smile despite his cold expression. “I want to live.”