liftoff | Teen Ink

liftoff

By morgan schrack BRONZE, MERRITT ISLAND, Florida
morgan schrack BRONZE, MERRITT ISLAND, Florida

First off, since I was a child grew up in Merritt Island Florida home of the NASA launch facility. While growing up I watched so many rockets roar into the sky. Nobody could ever imagine how stunning a huge fireball lighting up the sky could ever be. This made me want to become an engineer, since that was more probable than being an astronaut, at the time at least. As an engineer I worked on many projects from missions to mars to missions past Jupiter, but now I’m working on my favorite and most important mission ever. The mission is to colonize the south pole of the moon. We needed to create a way of making oxygen using microbes and filters to purify water so we can be separate from earth. I was one of the lucky ones who they asked to go along, because I knew how to use the machines and I could help repair them. I was also sent to help set up the temporary buildings, I didn’t know most of the people going except my friend from high school, a microbiologist, Tim.

After months to years of training. The big day has come, the trip over would only take two days. The Plato fifteen, or so they called us were finishing up getting our final physicals we were al. To get to the s for the flight. We would all be crammed into a small capsule for the next 24 hours. to get to the rocket we went through my hometown of merritt island, people were everywhere all cheering us on hoping us a safe flight. we were all seated in the rocket ready to go. the launch countdown was ticking along with the hearts of the people, i believe mine might have been beating a little faster at the time. suddenly there was a loud “POP” one of the valves in the rocket coolant system broke. this wasn't a major problem the valve was replaced and over with before the hour was up. they began the countdown again and we waited

5,4,3,2,1, liftoff we were thrust upward off the ground, the rocket was violently shaking and it was very loud, one of the members started to cry because we were leaving our home for an unknown time. all of a sudden the noise just stopped moments later we began to float as we made our way into space. the rocket jettisoned and the stage two ion booster turned on sending us straight to the moon

the travel in between the moon and the earth would take a day they let us listen to music and read, we all mostly talked to each other. i talked with tom for a while about home and how long they thought it would take for them before we would be heading home.we couldnt see backwards toward earth but we could see ahead at the silver and white moon that would be our home.the landing sequence was rough because we had to land in the right place so we could start setting up.

finally we landed and we were safe now came the real challenge of having to set up the base so others would be able to make the journey to the moon

i like the story line its very captivating