The Hunt | Teen Ink

The Hunt

November 3, 2015
By XersisKyle BRONZE, Edinburgh, Other
XersisKyle BRONZE, Edinburgh, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I feel the scissors cut through my thick, bushy hair. The strands fall into a dull blonde ring on the floor. I look up, taking a quick glance at my childish reflection. A narrow face, wide, round eyes and a thin nose - I still look like a little girl, even though I turned seventeen a few weeks back. I don't remember the exact date - due to past events - but I know it was sometime in June.
"There we go." Sandra picks up a small piece of string from a nearby oak table, and ties my hair neatly into a ponytail. "Like it?" She asks with a, soft, calm tone.
I nod in approval and smile. "It's lovely.".
"You look so much like your mother." She flashes an almost toothless grin and places the scissors on the oak table. "I used to cut your mother's hair, Oh, she was such a wonderful woman, although her hair was such a pain to cut!"
"Well, I'm sure you did a great job." I stand up, pushing the old wooden chair under the table.
"Of course I did! I've been cutting hair since 2034, and if you think your mother was an exception, then I would recommend getting your hair cur elsewhere!"
I stare at her with a shocked expression. She's never said anything like that before.
Sandra lets out an almighty laugh. "I'm joking! Your mother was a beautiful woman. If only that tragic accident didn't happen, she'd still be here."
I smile and quickly make my way to the door to avoid starting another conversation. Sandra could talk forever. "I'll see you later!" I shout, before slamming the door shut.

 

As soon as I step outside, I feel the cold crisp breeze against my pale skin and shiver. I cross the gravel road, onto the mossy pavement, placing my hand on the door handle to the store. I hear a familiar voice behind me.
"Woo-Hoo! Alyx!" Laura's cheery voice fills the empty street. I turn around and see Laura with her younger brother - Ed - running across the road, the gravel crunching beneath their boots.
"Well, I want to get Ed down to the farms, so I can take art in The Hunt."
My heart skips a beat as Laura finishes her sentence. "The Hunt is today?" I whisper, trying not to sound nervous.
"What's The Hunt?" Ed rubs his eyes and yawns.
I look down at him; his features are the same as Laura's: thick, dark hair, small curved nose and green eyes.
"It's nothing Ed" Laura lets out a small chuckle. "And anyway, it's for adults."
"But-" Laura cut him off.
"Anyway..." I raise an eyebrow. "What time does The Hunt start at?"
Laura raises an eyebrow, mimicking me. "Nine, but we have to be at The Wall in about thirty minutes."
"The Wall is at least seven miles from here, we'll never make it by foot."
"But, if I drop Ed off in about ten minutes, we could meet back here and borrow some horses?"
"Fine." I say without any hesitation." I need to buy something to eat anyway."
Laura grins. "Okay! See you in about ten minutes?" She looks down at Ed. "Say bye."
"Bye." He says calmly, before they start to walk down the gravel road.
I wave at them and open the door to the store.

 

Upon entering the store, I see my father. In his right hand he holds a curved bow, and on his back, a quiver of arrows.
Is he taking part in The Hunt? I ask myself.
"Thanks." My father says bluntly to the shopkeeper. He turns and his eyes lock with mine. "Alyx?" What are you doing up so early?" He asks in a calm, but foreboding tone.
"I came to buy some bread." I reply in the most convincing tone I can muster.
"And why do you need to come and buy some? There's plenty at home." He steps forward, the wooden floorboards creaking beneath him.
"I'm taking part in The Hunt." I reply.
"Why?" He takes another step forward. "You didn't take part last year."
"That's because it was her funeral!" 'Her' being my mother.
My father stands there, motionless. "Well then, I shall see you down at The Wall." He nods at me and walks out, slamming the door behind him.
He's been acting strange ever since she died. It's like a part of him was torn away. I felt the same way when she died.
I push all the thoughts to the back of my mind and start looking around for some bread.

 

I exit the shop, a hunk of bread held tightly in my hand. Laura stands with her back against the wall next to the shop, her hair messily into a bun.
"How long have you been waiting?" I ask, taking a bite out of the bread.
"Only a few minutes." She smiles, pinching a piece of bread. "I saw your dad on a house on his way to The Wall."
"Are there any horses left?" I bite my lip."
"Your dad took the last one."
"We'll never make it..." I sigh.
"Unless, we sneak onto that!" She points over to a large wooden cart full of farming equipment and hay.
In an instant, Laura is running towards the cart. I do the same, catching up with her in seconds.
As we pull ourselves into the cart, we cover ourselves with the large pieces of hay. I hear a horse grunt and we start to move.
Looking up I see the pale blue sky - not a cloud in sight - and I smile, it's been raining for the past few days and I've missing the sunlight.
Glancing over my shoulder I see Laura smiling. She turns to face me, "Isn't this awesome?" She asks.
"Yeah, it is." I say, my smile fading.
"Are you looking forward to it?" The grin on Laura's face is unreal.
"Yeah."
Am I? Am I really ready?
My mind races with thoughts.
Will I end up like my mother?
No.
Will I survive?
Definitely.


The author's comments:

This is a work in progress for a short story or possible a novel. And I just wanted to see if other people that this was any good...