Height to the Past | Teen Ink

Height to the Past

November 25, 2015
By Emerald01 ELITE, Charlotte, North Carolina
Emerald01 ELITE, Charlotte, North Carolina
182 articles 13 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are always feeling every emotion, but only a few are screaming."


Feeling from the inside, As the band marched to the large opening from our practice outside. A chill ran down my veins and I felt my voice screech through me.
“Hut TWO THREE FOUR,
Yelled Mrs. Jandison at the top of her lungs, My flute was headed outwards, fingers getting numb, As Kathy snorted right after causing a diversion to make Laurel Andrews trip over the stands carefully placed out in the open. Here is something you need to know about our school before you judge too much. It is all about labels. Kathy is your traditional blonde, blue eyed, popular, cheerleader, Laurel on the other hand is the school nerd. She is just as pretty as Kathy, way smarter, and a whole lot nicer. The problem is she is very shy and buries her head in her chest. Almost as if she is hiding from life itself. Her dark navy hair glows when she plays the clarinet.
“Oops I’m sorry I did not see you there, maybe if you actually said something you would know to take a ballet lesson so the clumsy little girl you are would not be as harmed when I push you over.”
Kathy said with a smile pushing Laurel out of the way.
“Ah nice.”
Says Opal high fivin Kathy on the way over to the flute section of the band. Opal was more of the “follow” type she was also Kathys best friend. She would do anything Kathy said. I glanced over at Laurel who was staring as Jack Frost gently kissed Kathy on the lips. I rolled my eyes how did I get stuck in the section with all the rude, mean girls. When did 6th grade become a horror story. I have known Kathy, Laurel and Opal since kindergarten. That is not the funny part though what is funny is that the four of us……. were actually……. best friends….. Yep you heard me right best friends.What happened around 3rd gradeKathy started messing with everyone and thats when Laurel zoned out. Ever since then those two have been giving her crap and I just kinda fell away from their group.
I heard the crash and thats when a memory came back. The lights were blowing as I swollen tough turning my insides as I reached for my legs, Instead feeling the long wings that carried. As the glaze covered over and I could see before the vents to the past and finally understood. I swollowed hard from my place in the sky. Wonering before I freaked. How did I get here? That is when I screamed as the past flew in through the branches.