Memories | Teen Ink

Memories

By Nerbles GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri
Nerbles GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri

At first all I could see was black, I was floating in what seemed like a void with nothing around. It moved me side to side in a swaying motion slowly like how a mother would rock her baby to sleep, then it slowly laid me onto a soft surface that seemed to take form under my body. Then I could hear something, but what was it? Is it the soft sound of waves moving across the shore and feet squishing in the wet sands. I couldn't tell nor did I care. I then started to feel something, a sting came from my back. I screamed “Mother of God.” and then heard the sound of hushed voices. The smell of burning wood and stew cooking, then I slowly was able to open my eyelids. When I was able, I glanced around. I was in a small wooden hut with a straw roof  and across from me was a fireplace with a cauldron for soup above it. A couple chairs were about the room and a table with bread was in the middle. Two figure stood near the pot and were checking on what I assumed was soup due to the smell. One of the figures notice me and walked over towards me the other figure covered the pot and soon followed the first figure, but as they got closer, they got smaller and when they reached me I finally figured out that they were dwarves.
“Where am I?” I asked with what little strength I could muster.
“You're in the small village of Lochshore, but please don't speak, we don't want to wasting energy that could be used to heal you rather than asking questions”. The replied and walked towards the cauldron. They came back with a bowl of broth with some spiced mixed in, they motioned for me to drink and me not wanting upset them gladly drank from the bowl. They told me that I was found on the beach by one of the dwarves on his way to the iron mine with a severe cut on your back. They then proceeded to tell me how if they didn't find me when they did that the tides would have took me again and would have probably either been eaten or dissolve because of the salt in the sea. I nodded my head in a thanking motion and fell back into a deep sleep. I finally awoke a couple days later, my strength was back and I could finally stand. I walked out of the small hut I was in and glanced around. It was a small village full of miners and fishers. Many of the buildings were the same as this one, wooden walls, straw ceilings, very small. Everyone seemed to brush past me, not noticing me which is weird because here stands a dark elf in a dwarven village with no other races in sight. I decided it was best for me to walk around the village and get to know the locals. My memories seemed to be coming back slowly. I started having flashbacks to when I was a kid and my parents were teaching me how to fight. Thats a great sign considering I have no clue why I was on that beach and for how long. I kept walking along the shore, and I walked across a merchant. The merchant looked at me and yelled “Come on and buy me stuff, it’s priceless, but cheap”
“So if it's priceless why does it have a price then?” I hollered back.
“Are you going to buy anything or not?” He replied. I walked over to the stand because my curiosity got the better of me. I looked around a lot of small things like rotted shields, rusted rings, things he just seemed to fish out of the ocean. Then I came across a small chest. It looked so familiar and I asked  if I could see it.
He told me “you touch it you buy it~ 5 gold!”
I sighed and withdrew 5 coins from my money pouch. He hand over the small chest and told me to go away and that I was scaring customers. I glanced around no one was on the beach other than a couple of star fishes and clams. I slowly walked away from the stand and turned my attention towards the chest. The chest was made of wood with metal straps and on the chest was a broken lock with a seal half covered in dirt. I wiped it off with my thumb and looked at the seal. The seal was my family seal, But what was it doing on a chest being sold by some crazy merchant. Then I started to remember something, it was something small at first. It was of my best friend Xyke, he was talking about me crushing the moon elves, but what was I doing killing moon elves? Oh yea I remember now I had to retrieve a black bound book inscribed with the blood of the ancients. I needed the book because the majority of the dark elves were banished underground and we needed that book to break the curse, but where the book now?. I sat there thinking examining the chest. I started to see something. A monster of epic proportions. He kicked the crap out of me and the only way I could escape is by jumping into the small underground river that ran through the cave, but before I could make it he slashed my back and me and the book flopped into the water. I have to get that book, ruined or not, I have to make sure that there is not a possibility it survived. I walked back to the hut I was being housed in. I walked in holding the chest in my hands, the dwarves were back and I wanted to ask them some questions. They gladly gave me some answers and with it the broken shards of my sword. They told me that they found me on the beach looking for scrap metal that sometimes wash upon the shore due to wind in the thunderstorms. They found me with my broken sword and a black bound book with a weird symbol. I stopped them right there and asked what happened to the book.  They were frightened with my outburst and my rise in vioce. They quickly told me that they sold it to a merchant and had no clue that the book was mine and it was important. They also told me the merchant was not staying long and was on his way back to riverwood, a moon elf territory. I was angry as hell and stormed out of the tent with the pieces of my sword, while leaving the broken chest inside. I walked over to the blacksmith who fixed my sword in a couple of hours and went back to the tent. I walked in and they were all huddled over my chest. In my rage I slaughter them, blood everywhere , body parts all over the place. I loved the thrill of battle and to feel it again was amazing. Once done I took a step back to look at my handy work, but I soon realized what I have done. I panicked and pack up my things and belongings and ran. Everyone looked as I jumped on a horse, and started to ride away towards the woods. I rode for hours and days trying to forget what I have done in a fit of rage and trying to catch up to this unknown merchant. After a couple of days of riding I had to take a break, I came up to a clearing and looked for a camping spot, but there was something wrong. The clearing already had a small camp set up and a fire was freshly lit. I got off my horse and yelle hello! No answer ever returned just a weird whistle noise. I glanced around and soon a thump hit a tree next to me. On the tree was a single arrow, soon after another whistle, it missed just inches away from my face. I ran in the direction the arrows were coming from. I drew my sword and when the next arrow was release I sliced it in half. I soon found the figure and he rushed me sword drawn, his hood covering his face. I slashed his left leg and right hand. He staggered backwards and switched his sword and shield hand. He held up his shield and charged me. I kicked it which broke his guard and shoved my sword effortlessly through his stomach. He fell and his hood was pulled back. It was xyke! My best friend and battle buddy.  ‘The king made me do it. He wanted you hunted down. The spirit in the cave was all him. He wants you dead, I'm just glad that it wasn't by my hand.” He whimpered. I started to cry “Why! No! Comeback” Is all I remember as his eyes closed for the last time. His hand a few feet away laid the book. The one that cost me my best friends life. I picked it up and jumped on my horse. “Time to find the king” I whispered and made my way down the road.