Apocalypse | Teen Ink

Apocalypse

By Iamicon GOLD, Clyde, North Carolina
Iamicon GOLD, Clyde, North Carolina

I have loved you with an everlasting love, I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.
Jeremiah 31 : 3

An author is someone who has taught their mind to disobey.
Oscar Wilde
Beware: I am fearless, and therefore powerful.
Frankenstein,Mary Shelley

My eyes are wide in terror, it's the nightmarish type of fear that glues your feet to the ground and stops your lungs from screaming. I breathe in the smell of blood, fear, and panic. They haven't seen me yet, but they will. They might not even see me but they can smell the fear I wear like a strong perfume. They're coming, they're all coming for us.

I see a shadowy figure lurch forward and stumble my way like a drunk man. It's head slams into a tree but it shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. It raises its mangled head into the air and takes in a long exhale. Fear, it's smelling my fear. My foot edges back as my heart stops in my chest. Lead-heavy fear seeps into my veins and makes my every move feel too jerky and too slow. They know I'm here. There's only one thing that I can do.

I take another step back as vicious sounding howls erupts from the forest in front of me. To some it might sound like a pack of wolves, but deep beneath the animal-like quality is something distinctively human. Their hunt is on and I am the prey. I don't have time to look back, I run for it.

Back when the world was normal I never sprinted for anything. That was two months ago. Now the world has changed thanks to a little microscopic virus. WHO laughed it off at first, they said that it couldn't mutate to become a problem. They said that simple antivirals and hand washing could stop its spread. Man were they wrong. The virus mutated, became antiviral resistant, and was nicknamed Apocalypse.

It turns people into coldblooded beasts, smart zombies almost. They are simpleminded beings only having three very simple thoughts. Kill, destroy, infect. Nuclear warheads were dropped on populated cities where the disease spread like wildfire, hospitals and ports were closed, bodies of the dead were left to rot in the open streets, and the survivors learned nothing from their experience. Instead, they turned to war. As for me and my family, we did the logical thing. We ran, just not fast enough. Obviously.

I keep running, my legs catapulting me forward through brush that threatens to trip and kill me. I tear into a thorn bush and scream as thorns tear into my flesh. The infected behind me screech excitedly in return, my pain feeds them. I clench my bloody hand into a fist because if they see my blood they'll go crazy.

I have to keep running. I don't glance behind me, but led the anticipation feed the adrenaline that makes me run. Run, just run. Think about everything you have to live for, my brain whispers. If you die the rest of your family could die too. And it'd all be your fault.

I duck under a low tree branch and make a sharp left. I reach down and grab a fat branch full of moss and crawling with bugs. Back when the world was normal I would've freaked at the sight of bugs, but now nothing like that scares me.

An infected jumps out at me from the side. I scream as I see the hands shaped like claws reach for me and white foam drip from their sharpened canines. They aren't even human anymore, more like a beast storytellers conjure up to give little kids nightmares. The infected swings its clawed hand at my head, I duck in mid-scream. My instincts take over and my arms swing the branch over my head in a graceful arch. I hear a sickening thud as the infected collapses and doesn't move. I don't feel remorse for the thing I killed. That's all it really is, a thing.

I push my legs to go faster, to carry me somewhere safe. My lungs are burning now and sweat drips down my face and runs in my eyes. I ignore the pain in my lungs as I push myself harder than ever before. I have to keep running or I'll die.

Finally, I see it. The little stereotypical cabin in the woods. It's as if the setting of a Stephen King novel has been thrown into reality and enhanced by mad screams and eerie fog. Its dilapidated chimney rises into the fog and its rugged one story of lumber and stones threatens to crumble. It's still the safest place we've ever made our home.

I see a single dim light emanating from a crack in the boarded up windows. I send up a prayer of thanks to the heavens for letting me reach safety in time.

I push myself harder and jump over our pit traps and tripwires. I hear angered screeches behind me as some of the infected fall victim to our traps and meet their end. I can't help but smile.

I jump onto the rotting porch and hear an infected growling behind me. My heart leaps out of my chest at the sound. I panic and bang my fists on the door. "Let me in! They're after me!"

I look back and see them begin to approach the porch, some of them have bashed in skulls or stab wounds from our traps but they seem to be fine. All the more reason to fear them.

My heart pounds faster as I jerk on the door. "Let me in! Let me in or I'm going to die!" I don't bother to look behind me, they're so close. Close enough that I can smell the rotting flesh and decaying matter on them.

Suddenly, the door opens wide. My family crouches next to the arsenal and bares flaming torches. Their eyes are wide in fear, my youngest sister screams in terror. I don't have to look back to see what she's screaming at. They're basically on me.

Arms wrap around my waist, pulling me out the door. I grab the doorframe and scream in terror as the claws stab into my waist. More clawed hands tear at me as my screams of pain and terror become louder.

"Help," I sob! "Help me!" They all know I'm beyond help.

My father stares into my eyes as the infected continue to tear their claws and teeth into my flesh. "I'm sorry," he whispers and slams the door shut on my fingers.

The infected drag me away and leave me bloody and dying  on the grass. They attack the house, tearing stones from the foundation as my family defends their hideout. It's no use, we're going to lose.

I fade away quickly, the virus carrying me into my subconscious mind where I will stay for the rest of my life.

We are grateful for Apocalypse, for it has saved us. We are alone but as one together. We are strong and united with the others. We are the victors in the war against wicked humanity, Apocalypse has won. but do not worry it is okay. There is plenty of room for others. Perhaps you would like to join us?

Panthera GOLD said...
Panthera GOLD, Plymouth, Minnesota

“Don’t let them tell you it was on your back; the point of contention is how they act. Where you draw the line will set you free,” -Chris #1, AntiFlag (The Debate is Over)

Humanity can be rather evil