Camping with Ghost | Teen Ink

Camping with Ghost

By idzagame BRONZE, Bellingham, Massachusetts
idzagame BRONZE, Bellingham, Massachusetts

The Cook family were all excited to finally escape their busy city based lives and to enjoy the wilderness. Mr. Cook, his wife and two children, Jake, and Liz all went on a camping trip to Bourne Scenic Park. This campground was not only the campground where Mr. Cook's father took him every summer but was also the campgrounf where his father passed away. The campground ment everything to  him and his family, for they practically lived there.

While at the campground memories aren't the only think that remind Mr. Cook about his father. His father's ghost appears everywhere, from inside their tent to on the canal.  Why is Mr. Cook  imagining his father? How will he make the ghost go away? Is he really there?

Chapter 1: First Sightings

The family drove away from the city with a camper hitched to the back of their SUV. Mr. John Cook was in the drivers seat with his wife Lindy in the passenger seat and their two children Jake and Liz in the back.

It was the family first time camping all together. Mrs. Cook went a few times with Mr. Cook but the children have never been into anything involving nature. (They get that from Mrs. Cook) Mr. john Cook on the other hand loves nature.

Growing up his family didn't have a lot of money. When his mom died his father decided to take him camping for the first time. He wanted his son to do something besides being depressed over his mothers death.

The campground they went to was called Bourne Sceneic Park. It was located at Cape Cod and would from then on be known as their get away place.

As John grew up he drifted away from the campground where Johns father Mike grew to rely on it.

He didnt want his son growing up thinking money was all. he wanted him to spend all his time at the campground, but John didn't want to. He wanted to move to the city and to live an extravagant life.

So he disobeyed his father and moved to the city, where he soon met his wife.

Before they had their kids Johns father Mike grew very ill. The day John's father died he was in a meeting and never got to say goodbye to him. John thought that by taking him and his family to the campground where he grew up and to the campsite his father called his home that he could finalily get the proper goodbye to his dad.

They pulled into the campground and a sign read "Bourne Scenic Park". The sign was painted white and wooden. The paint was pealing and you could barely read the sign if it wasn't for the sun fading the letters away. Liz and Jack gave each other a nervous look and rollled their eyes.

John remebered when he and his father first saw that sign.

It was brand new, not a chipped peice of paint to be seen.  

They pulled up the man in the booth and he gave them a pamphlet and ticket saying where they should park the campground and some fun activitys that the whole family can do together. 

As they drove off John saw a glare appear over by the canal. It looked like a man was walking with fishing poles and a tackle box, but as he stared longer the man just disappeared.  
John was awaken from this image by his wife gently touching his shoulder and asking if he was ok.

John just shrugged, said yes and drove off.

They arrived at the campsite. unloading from the car the kids reached their phones into the sky looking for wifi disapointed they just put their phones in their pockets.

Knowing how much this trip ment to their dad they knew that had to be one with nature. they knew that they had to suck it up and to just go three days without wifi...they didn't know how but they wanted to at least try for their dad.

Across the campground over by the bathrooms another shadow figure appeared. This time it was man who was riding a bike. He appeared to be old, but healthy. He was all gray and white. It was Johns father Mike.

But what was he doing there? Hes dead. Hes been dead for 17 years. Why would he see his father, whose been dead for 17 years. Dead people just don't come back like that.

Mrs. Cook sensing something was wrong again asked her husband if he was ok. He said he was fine and just need to use the restrooms. 

After turning around three times Mr. Cook ran to the bathroom where he last spotted "his father".

There was no trace of anyone. No foot prints or bike tracks. 

mumbling to himslef Mr. Cook looked puzzled at the ground when he son came over.

"Mom could really use some help with the camper. I dont know if she knows what shes doing." said Jack

Heading back to the campsite together John could not understand why he saw his father riding his bike over by the bathrooms. It didn't make any sense.

What inspired me to write this peice is a story that my sisters tell. When they saw my memmer appear at the campround that they always use to go to.