Sweating to Death | Teen Ink

Sweating to Death

By keewebb GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky
keewebb GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky

The stage is set up in a small kitchen. One part of the stage is a mother at the cutting board preparing dinner for her family. She has brown curly hair that falls just above her shoulders, she is wearing jeans and a bright blue t-shirt she is in her early forties, she is dicing up a red pepper when her daughter Katie, runs into the kitchen.  She has just gotten home after a 3-mile run on a 95 degree very humid day in the Ohio valley. Dripping in sweat and mud the short girl with brown curly hair just like her mothers, wearing black running shorts and a black Nike sports bra, ran straight to the kitchen going to the silver Samsung refrigerator and sticks her head into it as if she were a jug of milk. The spot lights shown on the both of them.

Mom:

(turns toward daughter)

Hey sweetie, how was your run?

Katie:

(turning into the fridge)

It is HELL mom. I mean excuse my French, but I am sweating in places no human should sweat. I can’t breathe, and I feel like I am about to pass out. Do you mind handing me that water? (points towards the counter) (mom hands her the water) I think I am going to quit cross country. (mom now has a surprised look on her face) I have had 3 panic attacks because I simply couldn’t breath in this weather alone. Then you try and add running to that. (yelling now) I am dying Mom! I truly feel like if I push myself any harder I could end up with a collapsed lung. I mean you watch me come home from practice and practically break the fridge sitting in it trying to catch my breath and cool off. You watch me get physically frustrated because I can’t control the heat. (calmed now) I’d much rather have it be -95 degrees out there than 95. (Katie asking the question for her mom) Why? Because I can put on a coat and pants to be simply content. But with the heat I have no control and my body can’t handle it. (now on the verge of tears) I can’t handle it mom. I sleep with the fan on high in just a bra and booty shorts year-round. Even when it is winter and you all have the heat on. I can’t stand it because if I get too hot again my breathing becomes heavy and I have to go outside. It frustrates me. I get angry in a second because I have lost control of my body which means I have no control. So, with that mom, (yells) I QUIT!

Mom:

(in shock)

Ok sweet heart calm down. (pause) I’ll talk to the coach.

It is true in the since that my biggest pet peeve in life is not having control of my body tempature but the rest is up to Katie.