A Wish | Teen Ink

A Wish

By Pamplemousse SILVER, Gilbert, Arizona
Pamplemousse SILVER, Gilbert, Arizona

"To be happy, Don't do whatever you like, Like whatever you do" -James Barrie (author of Peter Pan)

A WISH

SETTING
A cheap restaurant (a la TGI Friday’s) on a Friday night. Sounds of kitchen and conversation in the background.

CHARACTERS:
TAYLOR– pretty, reserved, lacking in self confidence. High school aged.
JOEY– loud, opinionated, close with Taylor. Around Taylor’s age, somewhat younger.
TAYLOR 2 (Bold Taylor)– The opposite of Taylor’s outward demeanor. Bold and overconfident to a fault.
WAITRESS – Pretty and courteous.
STEPHEN– Tall, handsome, friendly, the object of Taylor’s affection.

(TAYLOR and JOEY across from each other. JOEY is looking intently at TAYLOR, who is looking intently at the table between them.)

JOEY
Look, no matter how much we keep talking about this, it’s not gonna happen.

TAYLOR
Quit saying that. You’re trying to make me upset.

JOEY
I’m really not. I’m just stating the obvious. I’ve tried to pep talk you every way I know how. Makes no difference. He’s gonna show up like four to six minutes late like he always has, I’m gonna bail at the last second like I always do, and then you’re going to spend the rest of the evening in a state of emotional torture as you continue to hide your feelings, like you always do.

TAYLOR
It’s not torture…

JOEY
Taylor, don’t even. I’ve listened to you talk about it too many times. It’s torture.

TAYLOR
Just because I hide my emotions around him doesn’t mean I don’t like being with him. I love hanging out with him. I’m my one hundred percent self around him, even though he makes my thoughts scatter whenever he looks at me. It’s like an adrenaline rush that lasts for hours.

JOEY
Yeah well, for every one hour of your little adrenaline rush you spend about six tearing yourself to shreds over what hasn’t happened between you two.

TAYLOR
Well even if it is torture, I’ve been his friend for four years, and I’m not about to ruin all of that the night before graduation.

JOEY
My point exactly! You guys are never gonna see each other when you leave for college, in what, two weeks?

TAYLOR
A week and a half.

JOEY
Exactly. Look, I know I’ve been on you about this for a long time, but at some point, you gotta ask yourself: is it worth the regret you’re going to have if you leave things like this?

(Silence).

TAYLOR
I’ll think about it.

JOEY
You say that every time, too. When is he getting here, anyway?

TAYLOR
I told him eight o’clock.

JOEY
(standing up)
Well it’s 7:56, so I guess that’s my cue. I hope you have wonderful one-on-one dinner with Stephen Michaels, who is choosing to spend the night before graduation with you, but of course couldn’t possibly have any feelings for you.
(TAYLOR laughs sarcastically)
Tell me how it goes!

(JOEY exits. TAYLOR is by herself at the table.)

TAYLOR
(aside:)
He’s right. I’ll never live it down if I leave for college without saying anything. I just can’t imagine myself saying it, though. I’ve never been that kind of person.

Sometimes I wish I could just say whatever is on my mind when I’m around him, no matter what.

(The lights go off, followed by a loud noise. When the lights return TAYLOR 2 is seated across from TAYLOR.)

TAYLOR
(Sees TAYLOR 2)
That was weir–uhm, hello there!
Do I know you?

TAYLOR 2
As a matter of fact, you do. Better than anyone else on the planet.

TAYLOR
Excuse me?

TAYLOR 2
To be honest, that’s really not saying much, considering you’re the only person on the planet that has or ever will even see me. The better way to look at it is how well I know you. And make no mistake, I know you as well as you know me.

TAYLOR
What are you talking about?

TAYLOR 2
I am you, Taylor. I am the answer to your wish. I’m here to say whatever is on your mind, no matter what, to anyone and everyone, including Stephen.

TAYLOR
(Embarrassed and agitated at the mention of Stephen’s name:)
Look, I’m sure that you find all this very funny and amusing, but I don’t appreciate you eavesdropping on my private conversa—

TAYLOR 2
(sighs:)
I knew I’d have to deal with something like this. Happens to the best of us. Here, watch this.

(Enter WAITRESS)

WAITRESS
Can I get you something to drink before the rest of your grou—

TAYLOR 2
Whoa, whoa! I’m so sorry but you’re way to pretty to be a waitress for a date. I’m not dealing with any threats, not tonight. I’m having dinner with my future husband.

WAITRESS
(Looking at TAYLOR, both flattered and incredulous:)
Uhm, congratulations… Should I get you a waiter instead?

TAYLOR
No wait, I’m so sorry!

TAYLOR 2
(Talking over TAYLOR)
Perfect! Thank you so much.

(Exit Waitress.)

TAYLOR
What is wrong with you?!

TAYLOR 2
Don’t worry about her, all these chain restaurants split tips anyway.

TAYLOR
(Exasperated:)
Why did she keep looking at me?!

TAYLOR 2
Did I forget to mention that? Whenever I say something, everyone else thinks it’s you. They hear our voices all the same! However, when it’s one or the other, usually mine wins out. As we just saw. Hey, is that Stephen over there talking to the hostess?

(Enter STEPHEN)

TAYLOR
(to TAYLOR 2:) Okay, whoever or whatever you are, I need you to be silent while he is here. Please. I’m begging you. You can say literally whatever you want to anyone else the moment he leaves, but do not speak to him.

TAYLOR 2
No can do, Tayloroo! He’s the reason I’m here. You wished me here for specifically for him! And speak of the devil.
(To STEPHEN)
Hey you! (Moves to sit next to TAYLOR).

STEPHEN
(Sitting down:) Hey!

TAYLOR
Hey!

STEPHEN
Uhm, hi? I didn’t know we were greeting each other twice from now on. Is that like a thing now?

TAYLOR 2
If you want it to be a thing it can be a thing. Or not, that’s okay too. Whatever you want Stephen!

STEPHEN
(Laughing nervously:) Uhh okay! Two greetings, from now on.
So how are you?

TAYLOR
I’m good! How are you?

STEPHEN
I’m good! I actually just got back from—

TAYLOR 2
(Interrupting STEPHEN:) Mmm, those eyes. Let’s talk about your eyes. Do you mind if we talk about your eyes?

STEPHEN
What?

TAYLOR
Oh, uhm, I thought you told me you got hit in the eye the other day playing basketball?

STEPHEN
I don’t think that was me…

TAYLOR
Oh, well it was probably Joey, then! Whoops!

(TAYLOR shoots TAYLOR 2 a dirty look).

STEPHEN
Is there somebody over there or something?

TAYLOR
(Laughing frantically)
Oh no! I was just uh, making a face at that baby over there. Would you excuse me for a second?

STEPHEN
Uh, sure!

(TAYLOR leaves table, followed by TAYLOR 2).

TAYLOR 2
What are you doing?! You’re ruining everything!

TAYLOR
I’m ruining everything?! You couldn’t be making things more awkward if you tried! He’s going to take out a restraining order against me!

TAYLOR 2
Well at least that’s some change! You won’t even look him in the eye for more than half a second! You were missing out, too. You should’ve seen how jealous he looked when you brought up Joey…

TAYLOR
You’re insane! We’re not gonna win him over by just—
Wait, he looked jealous?

TAYLOR 2
Without a doubt. It was only for like a second, but you could see his face change a little bit.

TAYLOR
I can’t believe I’m having this conversation with you.

TAYLOR 2
You’ve probably had a thousand of these conversations with me over the past four years. This one’s just out loud.

TAYLOR
I can’t believe this. I’m literally crazy for him.

TAYLOR 2
Don’t I know it…

Look, we both want the same thing here.

TAYLOR
And what’s happening now is not working.

TAYLOR 2
It’s true.

TAYLOR
And if I’m gonna make anything happen, you can’t be there. No offense.

TAYLOR 2
You don’t understand, though. A wish is a wish. I can’t leave.

TAYLOR
There’s nothing I can do to make you go away?

TAYLOR 2
Well, actually, there is one thing.

TAYLOR
What? What is it?

TAYLOR 2
You’re gonna hate me.

TAYLOR
No I won’t, I swear. I pinky promise.

TAYLOR 2
If you tell him everything, as in everything, how you feel, how you’ve felt all along, I’ll go away. But it has to be real and one hundred percent complete. No holding back, otherwise I’ll intervene, and then things might get kinda weird.

(Long silence).

TAYLOR
You were right. I lied. I hate you.

TAYLOR 2
Hey, I don’t make the rules!

TAYLOR
I know, I know. I saw this coming. It had to happen at some point. Just give me a second.
(Takes deep breaths)
Okay. I’m ready.

TAYLOR 2
Go get ‘em.

(TAYLOR walks back over to table and sits down. TAYLOR 2 walks over to table and watches from a few feet away.)

STEPHEN
Hey, the waiter came to take our order while you were gone, so I just got us the usual. Is that okay?

TAYLOR
That’s perfect, thanks! So there’s something I’ve been meaning to talk to you about.

(Exit TAYLOR 2)

STEPHEN
What’s up?

(TAYLOR begins to speak, as curtains close and stage goes to black.)

END OF PLAY.

Inspired by the Taylor Swift song "Hey Stephen". A collaboration for my theatre class.