Seeking Help | Teen Ink

Seeking Help

August 5, 2013
By Claire Summers BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
Claire Summers BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Time: October, 2008: Recession
Place: Los Angeles, CA.

*Spouses Richard and Alice are in their house on a Friday night. Richard is sitting up in bed rubbing his face with his hands while Alice is laying down on her back in bed.*

Alice: This might be hard right now, but we still have options.

Richard: If by options you mean option and by that you mean calling my mother, then we don’t have options. I’m not calling my mother for money.

*Alice sits up in bed and faces Richard.*

Alice: I’ll call my parents then. We can just borrow some money and when we are able to pay them back we will. It will just be a loan.

Richard: I can’t have them do that.

Alice: Yes, you can. And I know they would help. You can’t keep blaming this on yourself. It’s the farthest from your fault. This has been a hard couple of months for us, and at some point we are going to have to stop pretending like we don’t need help. It’s been six months since the restaurant had to close, and you are going to have to face the facts.

Richard: I just need some more time. I’ll find a job.

Alice: I want to be optimistic here, but we need to think about the reality. If we want to stay in this house and raise Daniel and Stephanie like a family one of us needs to start making an income.

Richard: (sighs) I know.

Alice: I don’t want to see you go through another week feeling miserable and sorry for yourself.

*Pause*

Alice: I know you don’t want me to look, but what if I tried to find a job? Just a part time job, for a little.

Richard: The kids need their mother. You don’t need to be working. Can we please talk about this tomorrow?

*Richard hugs Alice and kisses her forehead.*

Alice: A hug and a kiss isn’t going to solve this! We’re running out of time and money. Since you don’t want me to find a job or call my parents or even help you a little I don’t know what this family is going to do. What are we going to do? I don’t want our kids going through this when they’re so young.

Richard: I know, I know. But I’m going to look for more jobs tomorrow. I’m feeling lucky.

Alice: Richard, you said that last week and then the next day you’re sitting in bed feeling depressed and hopeless. And all I want to do is help. But you won’t let me.

*Pause*

Alice: What is it? Is it your ego? Swallow your pride and let people help you.

Richard: It’s not my ego, Alice.

Alice: Then call your mother! Because not calling her isn’t working anymore.

Richard: Do you know how long it’s been since I’ve talked to my mother?

Alice: No.

Richard: Well, neither do I! That’s how long it’s been.

Alice: Just because you’re not talking to her doesn’t mean she’s not talking to you.

Richard: I just got so angry after what she did that I completely shut her out of my life. I thought my parents were happy together. But once I realized that my mom was having an affair with another man I was shocked. And I thought the only reason she was with him was because of his money.

Alice: So you got angry at her. I’m sure she is still willing to talk to you.

Richard: Don’t you remember what I said to her at my dad’s funeral? I said some really awful things to her. I didn’t think she deserved to be there after what she did to our family.

Alice: I understand why you wouldn’t want to call her anymore, but I think now is better time than ever to reconnect. And if things don’t work out with her, I’m still here. And I can still help.

Richard: It just doesn’t feel right calling her. I don’t deserve her help after what I did.

Alice: So that’s what this is about? You’re embarrassed about what you said?

Richard: Look, I don’t really want to get into this right now.

Alice: You need another day, right? That’s what you’re going to say. Nothing is going to change with another day.

Richard: And nothing is going to change if I call my mother.

Alice: But you don’t know that. You’ve had other days to try and look for a job and figure all of this out on your own, and that’s not working, but you haven’t tried to call your mother yet. Maybe she’ll have some advice for us.

*Richard lays down in bed.*

Richard: I can’t believe this is happening. I thought I would own the restaurant until I retired and then I would give it to Daniel or Stephanie.

Alice: Things happen that aren’t in our power.

*Richard sits up in bed.*

Richard: Why are you always right? I guess I should call her. But I’m not taking any money yet!

Alice: Richard, just call.

*Richard nods before they both lay down.*