Out of the Silence | Teen Ink

Out of the Silence

March 30, 2014
By AudreyAKAThatWriterGirl GOLD, New York, New York
AudreyAKAThatWriterGirl GOLD, New York, New York
11 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"But sometimes it's 9am on a tuesday morning and you're standing at the kitchen bench waiting for the toast to pop up. And the smell of dusty sunlight and earl gray tea makes you miss him so much you don't know what to do with your hands." - Scanlan


Is anybody there?

There is no response but silence

What?

There is no response but silence

What does that even mean?

There is no response but silence

Hello?

There is no response but silence

Hey. Hey!

There is no-

I don’t know what game you’re playing but I have pepper spray, okay, so don’t even try anything
There is no response but silence
Do you know the way out of here?

There is no response but silence

Dude, it’s getting kind of creepy okay. Do you know the way out of this fugging park? My phone died and my girlfriend’s gonna go crazy if she gets home in a half hour and I’m not there.

There is no response but silence

Great. Thanks a lot man. Thanks. Really. From one guy to another, this is really just – great. F***.

There is no-

Yeah, yeah, I know. There is no response but silence.



You there-

There is no response but silence

Awesome. Awesome. So. Where are you from?

There is no response but silence

Cool. Cool. I’m from Michigan. Born and raised. But my girlfriend, fiancé now I guess, she’s from the city, so you know, here I am. Should’ve never gone to college. It ruins your life man, it really does. I should’ve messed around, taken a leap year, joined a sorority. I don’t know. But it’s wasted. Best years of my life gone, like that. And now I’m gonna be married. God man. I don’t want to be married. But that’s what you do. That’s what my dad says. No matter what it is just “but that’s what you do.” He’s a big golfer. I’m not so into golf. Are you?

There is no response but silence

Yeah, I thought so. You seem like the golfing type. Where do you go, Florida? I bet you go all the way down south, to the tippy top of Florida because some guy once said “Hey, golfing is really shitty but if you go to the tippy top of Florida, to where you can almost see Mexico, it's like a real freeing thing, you know?” and you hate it but it’s what you do.

There is no response but silence

Yeah, my girlfriend loves golf. She’s a nut about it. Absolutely crazy for put put. Our first date, our very first date was at a mini golf place down in Louisiana. Don’t know why. She swears we went to some bloody play but I’m sure it was put put. I remember puttin’ my arms around her to show her how to swing, you know? Well, I don’t know if you’d know because you don’t goddamn speak, but I’m sure you’ve seen the movies. And oh, she loved it. She’d never admit it. In fact she shouted “I can take care of my goddamn self” but that’s how you know with that woman. We’re alike, we are. We damn near hate each other but we’re as a like as two Slim Jims in a candy shop. Was that an odd thing to say?

There is no response but silence

I didn’t think so. So any ways, where was I?

There is no response but silence

Ah, well. Probably wasn’t important.

There is no response but –

What time is it?

There is no response but silence

No s***, it’s nearly seven thirty. God, she’s gonna kill me.

There is no response but silence

You don’t know what it’s like man. I have a couple beers, get home late and she says I’ve been wasted and cheating, throws a dish at my head and tells me I can’t stay the night.

There is no response but silence

You’re too smart to get caught up in a woman like this. Too damned smart. I shoulda known better, really. We’re just so goddamn similar. That’s the problem, really. It’s like dating yourself, it’s terrible awful.

There is no response but silence

It’s like, I want five minutes to myself, five minutes, that’s it. But she has to know, she has to just know exactly what I’m thinking all the time. She’s always one step ahead. Drives me crazy. Love her to death but oh my god sometimes I just want a little like, piece in quiet, you know? I went to dinner with this woman the other night, June. And oh, she was fantastic. Stupid, but that’s all the better with them, you know?

There is no response but silence

Exactly! You could say the earth was flat. You could read her the holy bible in Spanish. You could probably say whatever you please as long as you don’t say she looks fat and you look pretty while you do it.

There is no response but silence

It’s what god put us on the earth for. Sluts. The holy grail, my friend. Stupid lonely women.

There is no response but silence

No to say there aren’t smart people sleeping around New York, just to say I like the dumb ones best.

There is no response but silence

When do you suppose you’ll show me the way out of this fugging park?

There is no response but silence

I need to get out of here.

There is no response but silence.

I know, man. I know. I'll talk to you later. She's gonna bust my balls.

There is no response but silence.

But that silence is just too fugging loud. I love her, I really do. I swear. My word don't mean much that doesn't mean I don't love her. She just drives me crazy. I've got to go man. I'm gonna go.

...

We'll talk soon, okay?

There is no response but silence.

Yeah, we'll talk soon.


The author's comments:
This is supposed to take place in Central Park in late fall