The Last Page | Teen Ink

The Last Page

By NatalieBerman BRONZE, Miami, Florida
NatalieBerman BRONZE, Miami, Florida

"Theatre isn't about who you are, it's about all you can be."

Scene 1
At Rise: lights up - JACK is in the cafeteria sitting alone when a Senior and his friends approach him.
ALEX:
(In a condescending tone) Look, guys, a freshman sitting alone. (To JACK) You don’t belong here.

JACK:
Leave me alone. Please. I’m just trying to eat lunch.
(ALEX smashes JACK’S face into JACK’S tray - all of ALEX’S friends burst into laughter while JACK begins to tear up.)

ALEX:
My bad. You gonna go cry to your mommy?

JACK:
Please, leave me alone.

ALEX:
(Mocking JACK in a baby voice) Please leave me alone. My mommy says not to talk to strangers.
(Everyone on stage freezes as JACK talks to the audience.)

JACK:
Every day is the same. I sit alone, and kids make fun of me. “Mommy’s boy, the gay kid, geek... I hear it all.” I wish it didn’t, but it hurts. It really sucks being a teenager. I’m the man of the house since my dad left when I was a kid. He probably looked at me and saw what a disappointment I was. I try to keep my mom on her feet, but I’m failing at that too. I leave one terrible place to enter another. School used to be a place where I felt safe, but as I grew up, people started to see me as different. Now I’m constantly bullied, and I’m always alone. I thought no one could relate to that feeling.
  (Beat.)
But my life changed the day I found this diary.
(JACK pulls a diary out of his backpack. SOPHIA enters from the opposite side of the stage. SOPHIA and JACK have no recognition of one another. SOPHIA appears in a silhouette/ shadow form.)

SOPHIA:
And my life ended the day I lost my diary.
(Blackout.)

Scene 2
(JACK and ALEX and his friends exit during a blackout. Present day SOPHIA is at the park center stage sitting by a tree. She rips out a page toward the end of her diary. She is trying to wipe the tears off her face. REBECCA and LILLY enter. They both walk up to SOPHIA.)

REBECCA:
Well, If it isn’t the world’s biggest nerd.

LILLY:
Get up, Suzy!

SOPHIA:
It’s Sophia.
  (SOPHIA stands up.)
LILLY:
Whatever.

SOPHIA:
Please, just leave me alone.

REBECCA:
Your always under that tree doing some sorta lame homework. Just because nobody likes you, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try and make some real friends.

LILLY:
Rebecca, that’s a problem. You see, in order to make friends, people actually have to like her.

REBECCA:
Lilly, you’re right. My bad.

SOPHIA:
Just please leave me alone. I’m not in the mood, Rebecca.

LILLY:
We can tell. Your bad mood makes you look uglier than usual. And that’s really hard to do.
(REBECCA snatches the diary out of SOPHIA’S hand.)

REBECCA:
What’s this?

SOPHIA:
Give that back!
  (SOPHIA attempts to grab the diary back, but REBECCA moves it away.)

LILLY:
You are such a drama queen, Sophia. This is why nobody likes you!

REBECCA:
Anyways, you’re the one who keeps coming back to this park even though this is kind of the popular group’s hang out.

LILLY:
And as you can see, you’re not popular.
  (Beginning to read the diary.)
Last night I hit a wall. *Blah Blah* I was crying last night and my head hurt. Everything stopped making sense and I was overwhelmed.

LILLY:
  (Mocking SOPHIA.)
Life sucks. I hit a wall. No one likes me cause I’m such a freaking nerd.

SOPHIA:
Please give me my diary back. I’ll leave, I promise. Just please stop reading!
  (SOPHIA is starting to tear up again.)

REBECCA:
And if we don’t?
  (REBECCA slowly flips to the next page.)

SOPHIA:
STOP!
  (SOPHIA tries to grab the diary, but REBECCA passes it to LILLY.)

REBECCA:
I don’t want this trash anyways. I barely read anything about your stupid life, and I’m already bored.

LILLY:
I feel bad. You can have it.
(LILLY pretends to hand the diary to SOPHIA, but she really passes it back to REBECCA.)
REBECCA:
Suzy, you can leave now.
  (REBECCA signals for SOPHIA to leave the park.)

SOPHIA:
It’s Sophia!

REBECCA:
I didn’t ask you. Now leave before we decide to post this all over the internet.

LILLY:
And unlike you, Rebecca doesn’t buy her followers on Instagram.

REBECCA:
Now don’t be mean, Lilly. If she didn’t have fake friends, she wouldn’t have any at all.
(REBECCA and LILLY burst into laughter. SOPHIA grabs her bag and leaves. She is trying to refrain from crying again.)

LILLY:
Finally, she’s gone. What a loser.

REBECCA:
I feel bad for her. It must be hard to be that ugly. And don’t even get me started on her fashion sense.
(LILLY eyes the diary. She grabs it for REBECCA and begins flipping through the pages.)

LILLY:
So what are we going to do with her diary?

REBECCA:
I don’t know, It’s trash.

LILLY:
Posting it would be kinda funny.

REBECCA:
I’m not associating myself with that loser.
(REBECCA throws the diary into the trash can from a distance. She misses the trash, but LILLY continues laughing.)
Let’s go, Lilly.
(Lilly and REBECCA both exit.)

Scene 3
(JACK enters to where SOPHIA was - the park. JACK is partially cleaned up but still has some food in his hair. He goes to the same tree where SOPHIA was, drops his bags, and begins to cry. He walks over to the garbage to take the leftover chunks of food out of his hair. He looks down to find an odd book... SOPHIA'S diary. He opens it and doesn’t know who this book belongs to.)

JACK:
(JACK brings the book to the tree, sits, and tries to wipe the tears off his face. He begins reading the text aloud.)

Last night I hit a wall. It’s been a month since school started. I have been staying at school late for soccer practice and am falling behind on my school work. Today I had 3 tests and I couldn’t study; I just felt like I couldn’t do it. I was crying last night and my head hurt. Everything stopped making sense and I was overwhelmed.
I showed up to school and my advisor, Mr. Smith, asked to talk. He knew I was stressed and wanted to help. I wasn’t ready to talk yet and just started crying. He said some words that I know I will never forget. He said, “I know, being a teenager is hard. Never be afraid to ask for help.” I called my mom and asked her to pick me up, but she started yelling and telling me how irresponsible I was being. Asking for help was pointless. My head hurt, I was crying, stressed, and overwhelmed.
(JACK flips pages. SOPHIA’S MOTHER enters SOPHIA'S room stage left while SOPHIA is sobbing. The park remains on stage, but the spotlight turns to SOPHIA in her room.)

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
I was working. I couldn’t pick you up from school.

SOPHIA:
You’re always working.

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
(Enraged) Now, Sophia! You’re dad left six months ago, and I have been struggling to keep this house together. You can show some appreciation.

SOPHIA:
(Raising her voice and still crying) I wish you would think about me sometimes!

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
I have to work! Who do you think puts food on the table?

SOPHIA:
Dad isn’t around. You’re all I got.

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
Sophia, I’m really trying here.

SOPHIA:
I know you are.

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
You never act like it. I get you’re a teenager, but your attitude is unacceptable.

SOPHIA:
I just wish you were around more. (Yelling) YOU’RE ALWAYS WORKING!

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
(On the verge of losing it) WATCH YOUR TONE WITH ME, YOUNG LADY!

SOPHIA:
You don’t have time for me. Maybe I should have lived with dad. At least he would be home!

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
THAT’S IT! YOU HAVE CROSSED THE LINE!
You know what your father did to me. I was terrified every day that he would do something to hurt you. Him leaving was the best thing that ever happened to us! I’m sorry I have to work, but I’m doing the best I can!

SOPHIA:
(Wiping the tears off her face) I know. I’m sorry. You’re just never around!
(SOPHIA’S MOTHER leaves and slams the door behind her. Blackout. SOPHIA exits.) 

Scene 4
(Spotlight returns to the park center stage. JACK checks the time, packs up his books and the diary, and begins heading home. SOPHIA in the present enters the park as JACK is leaving. JACK and SOPHIA physically bump into each other. JACK apologizes and leaves in a hurry. JACK exits the stage. SOPHIA looks around the park and the tree making sure the girls are gone. She cannot find her diary! Blackout.)

Scene 5
(JACK is in his room, and LEO is waiting for him on his bed.)

LEO :
Hey, man.

JACK:
What are you doing here, Leo?

LEO:
I need the answers to the science homework.
(LEO goes to JACK'S backpack and looks for his science notes. He finds the diary and pulls it out.)

JACK:
Leo, don’t touch my stuff!
(JACK attempts to grab the diary back, but LEO quickly swerves away.)

LEO:
What do we have here?

JACK:
Give it back! (Upset and embarrassed.)

LEO:
(LEO flips to a random page - reading in a squeaky voice) Today was another bad day! I hate school! Honestly, I hate everything!
(Back in LEO’S regular voice) Ooh, girl drama.

JACK:
I found this girl’s diary at the park. Can I have it back now?
  (JACK snatches the diary back from LEO.)

LEO:
You sound like a freaking stalker. Who even is this girl?

JACK:
Her name is Sophia. We don’t know her. She seems super chill though. Unlike the people at our school, she doesn’t seem fake.

LEO:
Man, you need to get a life.
Anything juicy in there? We should post it or something.

JACK:
What the hell, dude? She has enough going on.

LEO:
You don’t even know this girl. Why do you care so much?

JACK:
I don’t know. The way she writes, it’s like she knows what I’m feeling.

LEO:
Deep.

JACK:
It’s like she has so many people around, but feels alone. Does that make sense?

LEO:
Jack, are you high?

JACK:
There’s just something about her.

LEO:
You love a girl you haven’t met. Seriously Jack? You sound like a girl.

JACK:
She just needs someone to talk to.

LEO:
(Imitating voice)
I love you, Sophia. I love you, Sophia. I read your diary, let’s get married. (Makes kissing voices)

JACK:
Just get out of my room. I SAID GET OUT! (yelling)

LEO:
Chill, I was joking.

JACK:
Just please leave, Leo.

LEO:
Fine, dude. Damn, you can’t take a joke.
(LEO exits confused and startled. Blackout. SOPHIA enters her room. The spotlight goes to JACK’S room.)

Scene 6
(JACK holds the diary close to his chest, and then he opens it up again.)

JACK:
(Reading SOPHIA’S diary)
I remember the day I found out my mom was in an abusive relationship. I came home from school, and my mom had a black eye and blood on her face. I asked her what happened, but she said nothing. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as naive as she thought.
(The spotlight continuously changes from JACK reading in his room to SOPHIA writing in hers. The spotlight is now on SOPHIA’S room.)

SOPHIA:
(Writing in her diary)
I went into the garage to get her some ice from the freezer, and I saw our TV remote. The corner was covered in blood. I was nine. I began to scream. My mom came, and when she saw me holding the remote... she froze with fear. She knew I had figured it out. She covered my mouth as if telling me to be quiet, but I didn’t get the hint. I was scared. I kept thinking, did dad do this? I knew it was him, but I couldn’t wrap my head around it. She did all she could, but she couldn’t stop me from screaming.

JACK:
(Spotlight is now on JACK Reading)
Just like she couldn’t stop dad from walking in that door.

SOPHIA:
(Spotlight is now on both SOPHIA and JACK. It remains this way until the end of the scene. SOPHIA is currently writing in her diary.)

JACK:
(Reading the diary stage right.)
The garage door swung open and he saw me staring at the remote. I’m not sure if he thought mom told me or if I just found it, but he was so angry. Mom tried to put me behind her back, but I could still see everything.

SOPHIA:
(Writing in the diary stage left.)
He punched her in the eye; the same eye that was already bruised. I heard her scream in pain, and she yelled at me to go to my room. I had heard my dad curse and yell at her before, but I had never seen him physically hurt her.

JACK:
(Reading)
Every night I have the same nightmare. I see him beating her over and over… as I sit there helpless.
SOPHIA:
(Writing)
I’m glad he is no longer around, but I can’t get that day out of my head.

JACK:
(Reading)
I was never the same after what happened.

SOPHIA:
(Writing)
(Blackout.)
Scene 7
(JACK remains in his room reading, but the spotlight is not on him. The spotlight is center stage.There is a change of scenery center stage and SOPHIA’S MOTHER and SOPHIA appear at home. There is a knocking at the door.)

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
Sophia, get the door.
(SOPHIA goes to answer it - SOPHIA’S FATHER enters.)

SOPHIA:
Dad. (SOPHIA is completely shaken)

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
(In tears, SOPHIA’S MOTHER rushes to SOPHIA and puts her behind her back. SOPHIA’S MOTHER is trying to stay calm in front of SOPHIA.)
Howard, what are you doing here?

SOPHIA’S FATHER:
Sandra, I’ve changed.

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
If you come in… I’m calling the cops! (scared and trembling)

SOPHIA’S FATHER:
It’s been six months, I’ve changed.

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
You used to come home so drunk you could barely remember your kid’s name.
(Addressing SOPHIA) Sophia, go to your room!

SOPHIA:
But mom...

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
GO TO YOUR ROOM! (frantic)
(SOPHIA runs out and goes stage left to her room. Lights remain center stage.)

SOPHIA’S FATHER:
Sandra, just listen to me.

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
I DON’T WANT TO HEAR IT! I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AROUND HERE AGAIN! I filed a restraining order! I swear if you even dare to get near Sophia…

SOPHIA’S FATHER:
I went to rehab. I was reckless and my work was so stressful.

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
(crying and yelling) YOU CANNOT JUST SHOW UP OUT OF NOWHERE! GO AWAY AND NEVER COME BACK! I MEAN IT!
(SOPHIA’S MOTHER slams the door and SOPHIA’S FATHER continues to knock. SOPHIA’S MOTHER gets on her knees and continues to cry. Blackout. SOPHIA’S MOTHER exits.)

Scene 8
(Spotlight on SOPHIA. SOPHIA is in her room vigorously writing.)

SOPHIA:

My dad came back. I didn’t know what to do. A part of me just wanted to kill him. He thinks he can just come back, and we’ll be fine. I remember him beating my mom. I remember coming home as she sat there with a black eye crying. I remember coming home one day to find out he was gone. I guess I was partly relieved though. I missed having him around, but it was better than seeing him passed out every night. I hate him! I HATE HIM! I just wanna cry and scream… but I can’t. I don’t have any tears left. Everything sucks!
(Spotlight on JACK stage right. JACK shuts the diary and puts it away.)

Scene 9
(JACK goes out of his room to go get some water from the kitchen. JACK’S MOM enters during the change of scenery. Center stage changes to JACK’S kitchen. JACK spots his MOM crying on the kitchen counter.)

JACK:
Mom, are you okay?
JACK’S MOTHER:
(Trying to hide her tears.) Yes, honey. I’m fine.

JACK:
What’s wrong?

JACK’S MOTHER:
It happened again.

JACK:
Mom…

JACK’S MOTHER:
I’m sorry. I really tried!

JACK:
You were doing so great! You almost made it to the second week! What happened?

JACK’S MOTHER:
I got fired.

JACK:
Mom…

JACK’S MOTHER:
I know. I really tried.

JACK:
Did you talk to your manager? You’re the best cashier I know. (Trying to cheer her up.)

JACK’S MOTHER:
I’m just lucky I didn’t get arrested.

JACK:
MOM… not again.

JACK’S MOTHER:
Honey, you have to understand. (Breaking into tears and having trouble speaking.)
I need money! I was scared. I figured if I took some money from the cash register, no one would notice.
The manager did. He knows how tough things are for me at the moment, so he said he wouldn’t call the cops. But I was definitely fired.

JACK:
(Trying to hold himself together.) What’s gonna happen now?

JACK’S MOTHER:
I don’t know.
Honestly, I give up.

JACK:
(JACK is beyond terrified at this point, but still trying to keep his cool.) You have to keep trying. I’ve been taking food from the cafeteria in case you forget to prepare dinner. I’m going to help out! But you can’t give up.

JACK’S MOTHER:
(Weakly.) I really don’t know what I would do without you, Jack. I know I put a lot of pressure on you expecting you to be the “man of the house.” I just don’t know what to do anymore. I’m a terrible mother. I hate when you see me like this.

JACK:
(Trying to stay strong) Tomorrow you are going to go apply for another job. If you don’t get it together … the bank might take our house.

JACK’S MOTHER:
I am useless.

JACK:
If I have to dropout of school to help, I will. But you need to do your part.
(JACK grabs his glass of water and returns to his room enraged. Blackout. JACK’S MOTHER exits the stage. The spotlight is on both JACK and SOPHIA.)

Scene 10
(SOPHIA starts to write in her diary in her room.)

SOPHIA:

Everything sucks today… and everyone sucks! I’m failing all my classes. Mom is always working. I don’t see her much, and when I do we barely talk. She says, “Hi honey. How was your day? Goodnight honey.” That’s about it.

JACK:
(Reading SOPHIA'S diary)
My life is truly a mess. I’ve never felt more alone.

SOPHIA:
(Writing)
I feel like crying all the time. I can’t focus on anything and nothing makes me feel better!

JACK:
(Reading)
Nothing makes me feel better!
(JACK takes a deep breath and flips pages)       
Scene 11
  (SOPHIA writing in her diary.)

SOPHIA:
It’s been two months since my dad showed up. He left and I haven’t heard from him since. My mom has been a wreck though. She gets frantic every time someone knocks at the door. I haven’t told anyone about dad. It’s not that I don’t want to, I just have no one to talk to. Mom, dad, any of my so-called ‘friends’… no one will talk to me. No one needs me. No one cares. I don’t even care anymore! Why do I keep trying? Everyone hates me.
I wasn’t feeling well at school this week, with everything going on at home, so I decided to have lunch in the bathroom. No one noticed. No one asked. 
(Blackout. SOPHIA exits. Lights are now only on JACK in his room; he is the only one on stage. JACK flips to the next page of the diary. A look of confusion crosses his face when he notices it is torn out.)

JACK:
(To himself, wondering) There’s a page missing.

Scene 12
(LEO enters and walks back into JACK'S room. JACK puts the diary down.)

LEO:
Hey, dude. Stop what you’re doing, I need help with math.

JACK:
Not now, Leo. I’m busy.
It sounds stupid, but this girl really is going through hell.

LEO:
Stalker.

JACK:
I almost finished her diary. (Confused) But it just kind of ends. The next page is torn out.
(JACK holds up the diary to show LEO.)

LEO:
I don’t really care. Just help me with math!

JACK:
(Thinking about SOPHIA and ignoring LEO). She just needs one person who will listen to her. I want to tell her she isn’t alone.
(JACK turns to one of the pages in her diary where she included a picture of herself. He stares at her for a while before showing the picture to LEO.)
She’s beautiful. Don’t you think?

LEO:
Dude! I’ve seen that girl. She lives in the house across the park - the one with the blue door.

JACK:
Are you serious? You better not be messing with me, Leo! This is important to me!

LEO:
Well, math is important to me.

JACK:
I’m not giving up on this.

LEO:
(Imitating JACK)
I love you, Sophia!

JACK:
The house across the park, yeah?

LEO:
Uh, Sherlock? Math?

JACK:
I just really think I can help Sophia if we just talk. I’ll tell her I found her diary, but I understand how she feels. She isn’t alone!

LEO:
I’m going home, man.
(LEO exits. JACK grabs a piece of paper and writes down the address.)

Scene 13
(JACK sits on his bed fantasizing about SOPHIA. He begins to close his eyes. JACK’S fantasy can be seen center stage as another JACK enters the park. SOPHIA is sitting by the tree. Lights are on JACK’S room stage right and center stage.)

JACK:
Hi.

SOPHIA:
Hey, Jack.

JACK:
You look beautiful today. How was your day?

SOPHIA:
It’s better now that you're here.

JACK:
Kids any nicer at school?
  (Lights fade on JACK’S room.)

SOPHIA:
Actually, yes. A girl came up to me today and asked me to sit with her at lunch.

JACK:
It’s amazing the impact a nice person can have.

SOPHIA:
Ever since you came into my life that day, everything has gotten better. You showed up at my house and told me exactly what I needed to hear.

JACK:
I meant everything I said.

SOPHIA:
I remember it word for word, “I found your diary, and I read it. Before you freak out, I just want to tell you how amazing you are. Kids can be mean, but you can’t let it get to you. People don’t know what you’re going through at home. I can’t promise you that the kids are going to change, but I can promise you that I’m here now.”

JACK:
I love you.

SOPHIA:
You loved me when no one else did.

JACK:
I have a tough home life too. I know what it’s like to grow up with one parent who can barely keep a job.

SOPHIA:
It’s not so much that as it is the feeling of always being alone.
You know what today is, don’t you?

JACK:
Tuesday?

SOPHIA:
Our one month anniversary.

JACK:
We’ve been dating for a month? Time flies.

SOPHIA:
It’s been the best month of my life.

JACK:
Mine too.

SOPHIA:
Oh, and I love you too. In case I haven’t told you.
  (JACK pulls a rose out from his bag and hands it to SOPHIA.)

JACK:
You didn’t actually think I forgot.

SOPHIA:
Your amazing, Jack.
(JACK and SOPHIA both lean in for a kiss. They freeze as JACK’S MOTHER yells from offstage. Blackout center stage.)

JACK’S MOTHER
Jack, are you awake? JACK! I’m heading out, and I’ll be home late. There’s a sandwich on the counter.
(JACK’S MOTHER slams the door. The spotlight returns to JACK waking up in his room. Blackout.)

Scene 14
(Change of scenery center stage. JACK rides over to SOPHIA’S house; there is a swarm of police cars, caution tape borders the house, and SOPHIA’S MOTHER is sitting on a bench crying. JACK approaches a NEIGHBOR that is watching next door.)

JACK:
Do you know if Sophia Roland lives in that house? I have something that belongs to her.
  (JACK takes out the diary to show the NEIGHBOR.)

NEIGHBOR:
  (Approaching SOPHIA’S MOTHER)
Sandra, there is a young boy looking for you.
(SOPHIA’S MOTHER has trouble getting up. She stands weakly and continues to cry as she approaches JACK. The NEIGHBOR goes back into her house, exits.)

JACK:
Hi.

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
(Crying)
Hello, can I help you?

JACK:
Um, I’m here to see Sophia. Are you okay?

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
(Crying heavier)
Who are you?

JACK:
(Confused)
I don’t personally know your daughter, but I found her diary at the park.

SOPHIA’S MOTHER:
She had a diary? (JACK hands it over.)
  (SOPHIA’S MOTHER looks at it completely taken by surprise.)

JACK:
It ends pretty suddenly, and there is a page torn out.
(SOPHIA’S MOTHER can barely form words. She looks through the diary and stares at the torn page. Beat. Knowing he read the diary, she hands JACK a wrinkled piece of paper from her pocket. JACK begins reading the note in his head as a voiceover of SOPHIA reading it sounds in the back.)

SOPHIA:
  (Voiceover)
Mom,
I’m sorry. I didn’t think it would come to this. I can’t take it anymore. I have no friends at school. I come home every day to find you sobbing, and I never heard from dad again. I have no one to talk to, and I wish I could make things different, but I can’t. I’ve tried. I’ve began failing my classes at school, I called some people to say goodbye, I’ve been distant, I haven’t been able to sleep. The signs were all there, but no one seemed to notice. No one said anything. I waited for at least one person to say they’ll help me, they care about me, anything. But no one did, and I have nothing left. There’s no reason to keep going. I’m done trying to change everything because everybody hates me! And it’s gotten to the point… where I hate me. I’m sorry I’m causing you more pain in doing this, but for once, (voice cracking) I’m going to do what’s right for me. I love you mom, and I really am sorry, but there’s only so much I can take. It’s the end for me. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.

Sophia Roland (January 29, 2017)
(Voiceover fades out. JACK stands there in shock. The pain overtakes him, and a look of depression appears on his face. Strobe lights begin to flash red and blue as ambulance sirens sound in the background. The sound slowly fades out. Blackout.)

Scene 15
(Centerstage now becomes the hospital room, and JACK and SOPHIA’S MOM are both there. SOPHIA is lying on the bed. JACK is standing next to the bed with tears running down his face, while SOPHIA’S MOM is sitting in the corner anxiously. SOPHIA is barely conscious.)

SOPHIA:
  (Looking at JACK)
Do I know you?

JACK:
I’m Jack.

SOPHIA:
Before you judge me, I hope you know I regret what I tried to do. I already told my mom that.
JACK:
I’m not here to judge you.

SOPHIA:
Well, then who are you?

JACK:
My name is Jack. I’m a freshman in High School. We live in the same neighborhood. I know that you don’t know me, but I want to get to know you. Sophia, you are amazing.

SOPHIA:
You don’t know me!

JACK:
I know you better than you think.

SOPHIA:
What’s that supposed to mean?

JACK:
I found your diary, and I read it. Before you freak out, I just want to tell you that I get what you’re going through. Kids can be mean, but you can’t let it get to you.

SOPHIA:
You don’t know what it’s like to feel alone every minute of every day. You don’t know what it's like to fear your own dad. You don’t know me.

JACK:
My dad left when I was a kid. My mom can barely keep a job. I act like I’m fine all the time, but trust me, I know what it’s like to feel alone. People don’t know what you’re going through at home. I can’t promise you that the kids are going to change, but I can promise you that I’m here now.

SOPHIA:
So now what? The doctors said I’m staying here overnight, but then I’ll be released. Am I just supposed to go back to school and act like nothing happened? I’m not fine!

JACK:
I know that. And your mom is going to get you help.

SOPHIA:
I’m seeing a psychologist. That’s what she told me.

JACK:
And I think that’s a great idea.

SOPHIA:
Why do you care so much?

JACK:
Reading your diary helped me. I didn’t know other people felt like I did. People call me names, my home life sucks, and I’ve never had someone to talk to. It helps to know that you aren’t alone. I want you to see yourself like I see you.

SOPHIA:
And how’s that?
JACK:
Beautiful.
(SOPHIA smiles. SOPHIA’S MOM approaches the hospital bed and stands there next to SOPHIA and JACK. She silently mouths JACK a ‘thank you.’ Lights fade.)

END.

Characters:
SOPHIA, A fourteen-year-old teenager who is trying to balance her school work, friendships, and devastating home life. She is used to being alone and bullied, but her life gets even more complicated when her abusive dad re-enters her life.
SOPHIA’S MOTHER, An unstable mother who is struggling to keep herself together. She becomes even more of a mess when her drunk ex-husband tries to reestablish his place in the family. Sandra is constantly frantic, and she is too much of a nervous wreck to take care of her daughter, Sophia.
SOPHIA’S FATHER, A man who finds relief by drinking. Howard has severe anger issues and no respect for his wife. He abandons his family after abusing her, and he rarely contacts them. Thinking he has changed, he tries to return; however, this introduces a whole new set of complications.
REBECCA, A fourteen-year-old, popular teenager who bullies Sophia. They go to the same school, and Rebecca has been picking on Sophia for as she can remember.
LILLY, A fourteen-year-old, popular teenager who bullies Sophia. She aspires to be like Rebecca and therefore backs her up in all of her devious plans.
SOPHIA’S NEIGHBOR
JACK, The narrator and teenage boy who finds Sophia’s diary. He experiences hardships at home and bullying at school. He was abandoned by his father as a kid, and he is constantly trying to keep his mother on her feet.
JACK’S MOTHER, A desperate woman who can barely keep a job. She is too busy pitying herself to realize her son, Jack, is miserable.
LEO, Jack’s best friend who only uses him when it’s in his favor.
ALEX, Senior who bullies Jack.

Synopsis:
Sophia Roland documents her transition to high school in her diary. She starts off as a typical teenager, but her life quickly spirals downhill. She deals with daily school and home drama, and she seems lost having difficulties to connect with herself and others. She has no one to talk to; her diary is all she has.

Jack, the narrator, finds her diary at the park. Intrigued, he begins to read it. He relates to Sophia and feels he can help her. If he were to just talk to her, he could tell her she isn’t alone.

Set:
Jack’s bedroom is set up stage right. Sophia’s bedroom is set up stage left. Center stage changes between the cafeteria, the park, Jack’s kitchen, Sophia’s house, and the hospital room.

Inspiration and Purpose:

Suicide is the second most common cause for death among teenagers ages 12-18. The Last Page is my way of demonstrating that you never really know what someone is going through. I want people to feel pity for Sophia, the main character in my play who committed suicide. I want people to see that someone can be having a hard time, and a subtle rude act may push that person to their limit. People put signs out there when they are suicidal. They may start saying goodbye, start performing extremely poorly in school, be depressed all the time, etc. It is important to be aware. All the signs were out there, but Jack doesn’t notice until it is too late. As a responsible citizen, one must tell an adult or take immediate action if they notice any of these signs of depression. However, more importantly - everyone must be kind. Just like one rude comment could end someone's life, one nice one could save it. The Last Page is a play stating the truth and spreading awareness in the teen community about suicide.

Sezrab said...
This play dramatizes a relatable situation that has spun out of control more than usual, but still feels poignantly real.

Dramamama said...
SO GOOD!! KEEP WRITING!

Elli said...
Incredible story. Inspiring and really covers the topic of being kind and important of being aware of the signs of teen suicide. Thank you for addressing this difficult topic.

Miranda77 said...
WOW! I don’t know what to say. Left in tears. Amazing work - keep writing!!

Jenjen said...
AMAZING STORY! Inspiring and left me in tears. Powerful ending!!

Playlover said...
Heartfelt story that really expresses the problems with teen suicide and how to prevent it. Being aware of the signs are very important and you did a great job at expressing that! I congratulate you.

Steph123 said...
AMAZING! Honestly speachless. Best play I’ve ever read! I love the parallel lives expressed from both your protagonists. Deep and true play!

Playreader said...
Wow. Very powerful! Definetly worth reading and keep on writing!