Spring Break Catastrophe | Teen Ink

Spring Break Catastrophe

By 19wilsont BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
19wilsont BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Twins Scarlet and Stefan Forbes, Damon Salvatore, and Bonnie Bennett were the best of friends. Scarlet and Stefan were complete opposites. Even though they had the same dark hair and big green eyes, their personalities were totally different. Scarlet was very outgoing and loud, while Stefan was quiet and mysterious. Damon was a lot like Scarlet, he was loud and not afraid to voice his opinion. His personality, his dark hair, and his bright blue eyes are what drew Scarlet to him. Bonnie’s personality was essentially in between outgoing and mysterious. She was never really afraid to voice her opinion, but she also loved being alone, and didn’t have many friends.

When they were young, they did absolutely everything together. At the beginning of  high school, Damon and Scarlet started dating. Ever since then, their little group was less close than they were before. But, they all planned a trip to Paris for their senior spring break, and even though they were not as close as they used to be, they were still beyond excited for their vacation.

They arrived in Paris at around 11 P.M. They made it to their hotel around 12.

“We should probably get to sleep,” said Bonnie.

“Yeah, I’m pretty tired,” Stefan agreed.

They all started to get ready for bed, but when they tried to fall asleep, none of them could.

“I have an idea!” said Scarlet, excitedly.

“Oh no, what is it?” Damon asked.

“How about we all go on a late night adventure to the Eiffel Tower!”

“I’m gonna have to pass,” said Stefan, somewhat annoyed. “I just want to chill.”

“Same here,” said Bonnie.

“Damon, please!” Scarlet begged.

“Fine.”

“Woohoo! See ya later losers!”

Scarlet and Damon got up to leave, without changing out of their pajamas. They decided to call an uber to take them to the tower. When they arrived, all of the lights were on in the tower, and both of them were amazed.

“Oh my gosh it’s so pretty!” said Scarlet.

“I know!” said Damon.

They continued to walk around, looking up at the lights every so often. After about 30 minutes, Damon started to get tired and wanted to go home.

“Scarlet, I’m bored and tired. Can we go back please?”

“Just a few more minutes!”

“We’ve just been walking around not doing anything for a half an hour. I want to go back.”

“Fine! You can leave. I’m going to look at the tower some more,” Scarlet said as she stormed off.

Damon just stood there and decided to give her some space, but he didn’t want to leave. When Scarlet stormed off, she assumed Damon was going to leave so she called Bonnie and asked her to come.

“Hey, Bonnie. Damon and I got in a stupid argument, and I think he’s leaving. Can you come here?”

“Yeah, sure. Stefan and I will get an uber and be on our way.”

“Thank you, love you.”

“Love you too.”

Bonnie and Stefan arrived, and told the uber driver to wait for them. They walked over to a bench, and found Damon sitting there.

“Where’s Scarlet?” Bonnie asked.

“I don’t know, I think somewhere by the tower. Will you come with me to look for her?” Damon said.

“Yeah, you guys go ahead, I’m going to update the driver,” Bonnie replied.

Damon and Stefan searched for Scarlet for about an hour. They called her, no answer. Screamed out her name, no answer. They looked pretty much everywhere in the area, so they assumed Scarlet kept moving and was anywhere they were not.

“She has to know that we’re looking for her that’s why we haven’t found her,” said Stefan.

“Yeah, hopefully, but what if something bad happened to her? She could be lost, or who knows, someone could’ve taken her! I remember seeing a strange man walking near the tower, but I didn’t think anything of it until now,” Damon said.

“Really? What did he look like?” Stefan asked.

“I couldn’t really tell, but I think he was wearing a black hoodie and jeans. It also looked like he was carrying something. Honestly looked kind of like a weapon,” Damon said.  

“DAMON! STEFAN! Come quick!” Bonnie screamed.

Damon and Stefan sprinted to Bonnie scared half to death.

“Bonnie?” said Damon. “Is it Scarlet?”

“Y-yes,” said Bonnie.

“Oh my god,” Damon said.

Damon looked down and saw Scarlet’s lifeless body on the ground. She had a towel in her mouth, and blood in her hair. Damon started to kneel down and grab her hand. Bonnie and Stefan joined him as they all stood there crying.

“I-I’m g-gonna c-call t-the p-police,” Damon said, still shedding tears.

When the police arrived, they took care of Scarlet’s body. One of the policemen came over to Damon, Stefan, and Bonnie, and explained what they found.

“There seemed to have been a head trauma, the back of her head was cut open and some blood was lost. She also had some bruising on her arms, which look like they were caused from someone grabbing her. We are going to investigate the towel that was in her mouth, to see if anything was on it to cause any harm to her. We will determine the time of death once we get her to the coroner, and we will call you all into the station sometime tomorrow.”

The next day, Bonnie, Stefan, and Damon were brought to the police station for questioning, and enlightenment. Before they were questioned, they were told that the cause of death was from poison in her system that seemed to also be on the towel, and if the gash on her head was more severe, it would have definitely contributed to the cause.

They were each interviewed individually, and one at a time. Damon went first, then Stefan, then Bonnie. After Stefan and Damon were done, and Bonnie went in, they sat down to wait for her.

“I’m so scared,” said Damon.

“Me too,” said Stefan.

“I just don’t understand who would do this to her! Was it some psychopath or something? I don’t get it,” said Damon.

“I don’t know,” said Stefan. “Wait. Didn’t you say that there was a strange man walking around?”

“Yeah, but I remembered that I saw him when I was still with Scarlet, and then saw him walk away. I mean he still could’ve came back, but I feel like I would have definitely seen him.”

“Oh my god, Damon!”

“What!”

“Bonnie told us she was going to update the driver, so she left, and she’s also the one who found Scarlet’s body.”

“It can’t be. She wouldn’t.”

“Just think about it. Bonnie has been in love with you since middle school, once you and Scarlet started dating, they drifted apart. Jealousy is a strong force, Damon.”

“That can’t be true! Why would you murder your friend just because they’re dating the person you like?”

“I really don’t know,” said Stefan. “She could have some major issues that we’ve never noticed.”

Just as Stefan completed his statement, Bonnie walked through the door in between two police officers, each holding her arms. Stefan and Damon looked over at each other, scared to death.

“Well, at least it’s over now,” said Stefan.

“Yeah, I guess,” Damon replied.

I hope readers can get inspiration from this story to create fun and exciting mystery stories. I had a lot of fun writing this, it revealed a lot of creativity I had inside, and I'm happy with how it turned out.