Lights Out | Teen Ink

Lights Out

On Burkewood 2519 St in North Carolina the friend group Jane, Dominic , Alexis , Lucas , and Christina were at their usual hangout spot by the Willow tree. Jane began yelling with excitement “ I CAN’T BELIEVE WE'RE GRADUATING NEXT WEEK!!!” Lucas and all the friends laughed at Jane's excitement. Lucas rolled his eyes saying “ Okay Jane we get it , you haven’t shut up about graduation since kindergarten.” Jane, looking unfazed and just as excited, made a hand motion insinuating everyone to get up. Alexis rolling her eyes said “What now Jane?” While Christina looked curiously at her. Jane said “ LAST TRIP!” The plan made so long ago in Mr. Smith's first grade science class. While the rest of the friend group was still puzzled Jane reminded them of their idea of taking a trip to the Appalachian Mountains. The group then all got up with excitement in their veins and into their 1950 Volkswagen Westfalia Camper they went which was dark green like the forest leaves. Dominic jumped in the driver's seat , Christina in the passenger , Jane, Lucas, and Alexis in the back seats. Dominic began saying “ Tonight at 5pm we're going to go so be ready or else” he said in a joking way. Christina responded in a sassy tone “ I need to find the right attire for this trip sorry my go to outfit isn't a black muscle shirt and shorts.” Domionic shakes his head, unable to control his smile. While in the back Jane sat next to Lucas talking way too much but Lucas didn't mind. Alexis looking directly at them she always felt left out with her closest friends but before she could even feel pity for herself the van came to a halt. Dominic and the others began to wave at Christina goodbye and soon later they all left one by one. Until it was finally 5pm with everyone chattering.Dominc said “Everyone ready for the best day of their lives?” The group yelled “YEAH!!” in unison as they began the long drive. The ride was filled with story telling of their school years while Frank Ocean plays on the old radio.’WAIT WAIT DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN JANE DID THAT DANCE IN THE TALENT SHOW IN ELEMENTARY.” Lucas said, trying to hold in his laugh. Dominic joined in “ OH YEAH IT WAS TO THAT MILEY CYRUS SONG!” Jane looked embarrassed, hiding her face in her hands.  All laughing at this funny memory with Jane's dance routine with american attire .Finally arriving at the Appalachian hiking trail they all got off the Volkswagen and started heading up the trail. Until Alexis said “Don’t wait up guys I just need to get something from the Van .” Everyone nodded and began walking. While Alexis was looking for her things she looked up once and saw a man about 6ft tall with golden hair and light brown eyes with a smile to kill. He noticed her and smiled back with a small wave and she reciprocated. Thinking nothing of this Alexis closed the van door then froze as she heard a sound like the sound of slicing her steak at dinner. Until looking up she saw the dreamy boy she had seen before with wide eyes ,a pale look on his face, and dropping to his knees with blood covering his shirt. The man inflicting this pain to the blonde man simply stared at Alexis with a dull cold look and walked towards the trail where her friends were. Alexis unfroze with the realization of her friends being in danger and began to run towards the trail as well. Meanwhile with the others Dominic began with “ Oh my god , as a first grader I didn’t begin to think of how tiring this is.”  Looking exhausted as well, Lucas said “ We're also about to miss the sunset if we don't hurry.” While Jane and Christina were a bit ahead of the boys they were smiling and giggly talking about their last summer plans before college. Jane looked smiley at Christina and said “That sounds amazing” Jane's smile slowly dropped. “ But don’t you ever think about what this is going to do to us? You know with all of us leaving and getting older.” Christina looked at her with her eyebrows in a non worried raise and wrapped her arm around Jane saying “ No i'm not worried at all because I know that no matter the distance or time i’ll always come back to this place.” Jane smiled at this with the feeling of warmth in her stomach. ‘Although you and Lucas huh?” Christina said playfully punching Jane's shoulder as she began to laugh at Jane becoming red. Jane was about to respond to this in annoyance until she was interrupted by Christina not smiling anymore and instantly collapsing. Jane screamed not knowing what was going on. This alerted the boys running to her standing in horror of this gruesome scene. Blood everywhere and a hole between Christinas eyes as Jane is screaming for help. Alexis was still a bit behind them in the trail but towards the cliffs of the mountain and ginormous trees in sight . Stopping to look around for her friends she feels a tap on her shoulder. Her heart sinking feeling a tall figure above her with feeling how cold his skin was just by one touch. He looked directly at her .He lifted his arm about to take her life. Until Alexis said “STOP STOP I WANT TO HELP YOU!” The psychotic man looked at her faintly then let her go. With a gut wrenching smile he simply said “How” Alexis responded with her eyes darkening “ I was planning on doing it the night of graduation but you ruined it.” Back with Jane , Dominic and Lucas they were all covered in blood with 911 on their way. Shaken Jane was being held by Lucas while Dominic was trembling on the phone. The shadow of a man with no soul and an old friend began to come near and the group turned to them. Jane yelled in sobs “ALEXIS THERE YOU ARE. PLEASE HELP US.” Then Lucas looked directly at the man saying “ Alexis.. Who is this?’’Alexis only looked at Jane dully while the man took Dominic and Lucas by the arm. The man held them near a cliff. Jane being held back by Alexis. Muffled screams were coming from her mouth but you could simply not hear them. Looking upon the beautiful view they onced dreamed of seeing as kids was happening. The silence of Lucas and Dominic looking at one another in fear but peace. The man then threw them off the mountain with the fall being so deep you couldn't see where they had gone. Jane breaks down in Alexis’s arms saying “no … no … no..Alexis why are you doing this..” Alexis then threw Jane to the ground and simply said “Lights out.”

Something about me is I love friendship and the experiences it gives you with also Indie movies and stories showing that. That is what I tried to incorporate into my story.