The Weedwacker | Teen Ink

The Weedwacker

January 10, 2011
By swimster16 SILVER, Dexter, Michigan
swimster16 SILVER, Dexter, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music.
~Billy Joel


It was a quiet morning, quite normal. The usual routines for Axel Waring. That’s me. The only child in a stupid trailer park. Any-who, I went out in the morning to go get some coffee and shop for groceries. I’ll be excited about getting my drivers license soon so I can drive to the store and stop walking 10 blocks everyday to my fav cafe. But now I’m at home relaxing while I was eating an apple and reading my favorite book, Twilight. My dog Marley laid at my feet, restless at the sound of the rain tapping against my window on the trailer. As soon as I flipped the page, I heard the slashing of the weed-waker outside. I froze. The god forsaken sound of a death toll to me. I pictured it like it was yesterday I started seeing my father getting wiped in the face with the possessed weedwacker. I tried to wipe the memory out of my mind but it kept coming back from the sound outside. A single tear drew from my eyes. That day I hated that weedwacker from the start. Before my father used it I swear I saw a dark red glow from the depths of hell on the engine start. I gathered up my courage and grabbed the leash to my dog Marley’s collar and went outside. I looked to what seemed to be a normal cloudy day, but I still heard the sound of the mysterious weed-waker. It started coming closer, and closer and closer. I started to walk, but it followed me. I stopped but it stilled moved. Then I broke into a sprint. I kept running until I reached the Forest of Hope. “Danger Ahead” said the sign. This Forest has been haunted for years. (Kinda ironic but I think it means you’ll nee a lot of hope to survive this dangerous forest) Anyone who goes in, will never go out again. But I had no other choice, as

the weed-waker sounds approached, I led myself to what seemed certain death. I started following the twisted path that led to a humungous tree root that uprooted into a twisted shape that looked like a screaming woman in pain and agony. I walked further into the forest. I remembered the time when a student in my school and couple of his friends walked into the forest.


I was just taking my usual walk around town with Marley when these group of kids (that have a bad reputation) were daring each other money to see who could get into the forest farther. I couldn’t really see who they were cause it was pretty dark out. I had a flashlight but I didn’t want to attract any attention. So I walked further and hid behind a bush. They started talking louder so I could hear them. “come on Jase, i’ll bet you 30 bucks that you can even make ten feet into that “saaaary” forest!”
“Yeah I can!!!” Jase disagreed
Then the rest of the groups joined in.
“Chicken!!! Bawk bawk bawk!”
“You can’t even make one foot!!”
“Ha ha ha ha!! Wait till the rest of the school hears this!”
“Bawk bawk bawk!”
“Your girlfriend is gonna think you’re a wuss!”
“Look at me I’m Jack and I afraid to go in the scawy wittle fowest!”



“OK FINE I’M GOING INTO THE DAMN FOREST!!!” Jase screamed so loud I wouldn’t be surprised if it caused a riot.
He took one step towards the woods, then another, and another, and another till he was at the exact line on where the forest started. One of his friends shoved him and he shoved back. He started to walk in the woods. Then all of a sudden they heard Jase scream like a little girl.
“Ha ha ha ha! Did a little branch scare you Jasey-wasey?” Brian teased. No reply from the silent forest.
“Jase this isn’t funny, seriously” still no reply. I didn’t think this was a practical joke.
“Jase I know your in there, you can have your 30 bucks now,” I started getting worried too. Then a swirling mass of branches came out a grabbed Brian by the face and dragged him into the forest. All the other dudes froze. I stayed a little more to see what would happen. The guys came out of a trance. Then, a single tree grew at an alarming rate. Whoa, it snatched up the rest of the guys by the head and trapped them in them forest. Marley started to whimpered but I shushed her. I ran home and I’ve never seen them since.


Now back to real life at my part. I kept walking and started seeing more up-rooted tree roots.  Compared to this the weedwacker was just a fly buzzing and fading away into darkness.  "Woof, Woof!"  Marley growled at a tiny sapling looking like it barely had enough water to grow.  "Marley what are you barking at it's just... a.....little...sapling?"  I saw the twig stuck in the ground

into a ginormous oak tree.  The exact same one I saw that night when the guys disappeared.  "Run Marley!!"  Me and my dog sprinted but I felt there was no escape.  A loud groan escaped the tree as we started running.  This tree was huge and I had a feeling the roots were huger.  So I kept running and bout a mile later I thought I got far enough that the roots wouldn't get to me.  "Marley!  Marley!?!"  I start screaming out her name.  Then I fell silent.  Right in front of me was an exact replica of my dog wriggling in the air mid bark.  But I realized it wasn't an impression.  It was my dog.  "Why is everything taken from me!" I started to sob. 

"What are u doin out here in this hour!!! Get inside!!" whispered a voice.  I turned around and under a giant root was a little girl.  About seven or eight with a terrified look on her face.   "Why?"  "The evil plants will come and get you.  Tear you to pieces and shape your scared form into roots!  Hurry get under here!!" I jumped down the hole and into a darkened hallway.  The little girl lit a match onto a branch and made a torch.  I followed the little girl because she looked like she knew what she was doing. 
  
"I'm sorry about what happened to your dog," "What?" "Your dog, The one that froze in front of my tree, it's strange that your dog got caught.  Normally the trees aren't awake at this time, somethings wrong, but anyway don't worry you'll get used to it like I did.  I lost a family member to these forsaken trees." I paid more attention, "My aunt and I were taking a walk in the forest and she got taken by the trees.  I started running as fast as I could, I almost got caught but because of my tiny body I slipped away,"  "Is your aunt the one in the front of the forest," Yes,"

I fell silent..  I wanted to say something but was muffled by the sound of more groaning.  Me and the little girl walked up stair of roots.  We walked down another dark hallway. “Hey what’s your name?” “I don’t have one,” “What do you mean you don’t have one? Didn’t your parents name you or your Aunt called you something?” “No, my Aunt only called me chica. My family came from Spain,” “Oh”


After we walked a little more we saw some light through the cracks of a little door.  We walked through and about a dozen people fully grown were squished in the tiny closet. We walked into the small closet/room thing. “Finally chica your back! And you brought a friend,” one of the people said there. I thought you were getting food!” “I was but I thought she needed some help around here,” I looked around. “Chica you are very but we have to many people in this group. Just throw her out the back” “But-” she got cut off “No buts go!” Two people came out from the group. They both very muscular. I ran. I ran as fast as I could to get out of this mysterious place. I missed my trailer. My dog..... My father. I climbed out of the hole. I started running back from where I came. The trees groaned and started to move but I ignored them as well as I could. I sprinted and I thought I saw the end of the forest but it was too dark. I burst into a field. Where was I? This is not the field I saw where me and my dog entered. It looked like a corn field. Not a wheat field. I looked around, no road or sign of life in sight. I looked behind me to go back into the forest


to see if I went the wrong way but all I saw was more corn field. I circled the area. Nothing. It’s like the forest moves. I started to walk in any


direction I could think of to see if I could find an end to this stupid corn field. I walked for what seemed like hours until I finally found a road. Then I looked across the road and saw more of the endless corn maze. So I decided to follow the road to see where it lead. So I walked more.


About three hours of endless road I saw something that looked like I’ve seen it before. It was an entrance of bent corn like someone/something went into it, or came out..... I ignored the dark feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was following me. So I did the stupidest thing ever. I went into the entrance. I followed the trail of bent corn and then I saw a hole about 4 feet across. I looked down, down, down. I thought I heard a scream then someone hit in the head with a corn stalk and I fell down the hole. “Good bye Axel,”