Play with my Heart | Teen Ink

Play with my Heart

By sweetangel4life GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
sweetangel4life GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Romeo and Juliet ( Quote Act II, Sc. II).

"Let them eat cake."
Marie Antoinette

"Hey, where are you going?" I ask.
You are two steps away now. Three. Four.
"Please come back. Please, don't leave me here."
You keep walking. Five. Six. Seven.
"I'm scared."
You stop walking away from me and turn around. I don't now what's happening. Have I convinced you to stay?
"I'm the only beast that can hurt you, Kara, so I have to leave. I can't stay." Why are your eyes so hard and emotionless? You're scaring me.
"You are no beast. You just have issues. I want to help you."
For one moment, your eyes come alive with a little reality. Then you turn away.
I watch the back of your head get smaller and smaller as you walk away. Cold, biting winds sneak through my winter coat and freeze me. Warm tears slip down my face. I don't want to do this, but I have to. This is my only chance.
I start off in a slow jog, making my way through the woods. As I get closer, my foot steps get quieter.
I don't see you anywhere yet. You walked away 20 minutes ago. You should be arriving at the tree where my friends will be waiting soon.
It's getting warmer as the sun comes up, so I ditch my jacket and bury it beneath the melting snow. I'm here and so are you.
"Now!" Jaquie, my best friend, yells.
Ten feet away a series of ropes, teen girls, and screams go on for thirty seconds or so until you are quiet.
My heart is beating loud. my breath quickens.
"Good job, girls," I say. "Jaquie, take care of his body and I'll worry about the blood," I say.
You're gone. Don't ever play with my heart. I laugh.