The Camp Out. | Teen Ink

The Camp Out.

By student1234 BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota
student1234 BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota

My name is Allison Graham, and this is my story.” I looked up from my lap and tried to avoid making eye contact with anyone in the support group. I felt my stomach clench and my heart begin to race. Remembering this night was painful, even after two years. I tried to hold back my tears and continue to speak. My voice began to quiver, “I was a sophomore in high school . . .”

“I’m here!” Allison said through her phone to Kaila as she and her two long term best friends pulled into Kailas long, gravel driveway. The music in the car played so loud they couldn’t hear the rocks from the driveway pop up to hit the bottom of Allison’s car. The car soon came to a stop. Macy reached up to turn down the music. “Whoa, she lives here?” “I guess so!” Marla replied, jumping out of the backseat. Allison turned to Macy, who was still in the front seat. “Don’t you think it’s strange that Kaila has been our friend for more than a year and this is the first time we have ever been here?” Macy rubbed her eye. “Yeah,” Said Macy “But I can see why now.”

“Kaila had just moved here from New Orleans the summer before freshman year. She met Marla at the pool that summer. She got along with Macy and I pretty well too. The four of us had been inseparable ever sense. Kaila was special. She kept a lot to herself unlike the rest of us. I never saw it coming. Yet maybe I did.”

“Come on!” laughed Marla in excitement from outside the car. Allison and Macy dragged themselves out of the car. They met Kaila in the backyard where she was pitching the tent the girls were going to sleep in that night.

“We’re here!” Marla announced. Kaila laughed as she looked up. “Oh, Macy I can help you take all the stuff inside. Alli, Marla, finish putting up the tent!” Kaila yelled while running inside and closing the door behind her. “This place gives me the creeps.” Allison complained. Marla agreed. “But hey, it will still be fun!” [Type a quote from the document or the summary of an interesting point. You can position the text box anywhere in the document. Use the Drawing Tools tab to change the formatting of the pull quote text box.]
Marla said trying to better Allison’s mood. “Yeah, if a serial-killer doesn’t come out of the woods and chop us to pieces.” Allison responded.

“It was just like any other night. We had never been invited to Kaila’s before; but her parents were out of town and Marla had never camped before. So we thought why not. I should have known. I don’t know how I could have missed it. It just didn’t make sense.”

“Pass me the flashlight.” Marla insisted as she stuck her hands out to Allison. “Jeez! This is a monster, Kaila! It weighs like fifty pounds! Allison laughed, handing the flashlight over to Marla. “Where are you going?” Kaila asked. “I have to go to the bathroom.” Marla replied, while unzipping the tent. “I’ll come with!” Kaila said jumping up, following Marla out of the tent and zipping it shut behind her. “Macy, what time is it?” Allison asked. Macy picked up her phone as they sat in the dark. A blue glow came over her face. “1:04 a.m.” Macy replied. “It’s that late alrea” ZZZZZZZ! Allison was interrupted by Kaila quickly unzipping the tent, shoving herself inside and closing the tent behind her. “Marla wanted some milk! She’ll be back soon!” Kaila giggled.

“Marla never came back that night. We found her an hour later, lying at the start of the woods. Her head had been bashed in by the flashlight. Blood was coming from everywhere. She’d always been the lively girl that never lost her smile. That wasn’t the case anymore.

Macy screamed while kneeling over Marla’s dead body. “What is happening!” Allison sobbed. Macy let out another scream. “Shut up Macy.” Kaila demanded. “Someone will hear you.” Macy screamed again.
Allison looked up from the ground where she was laying just in time to see Kaila slip a pocket knife out of her sweatshirt sleeve and jab it into Macy’s back. “Kaila.” Allison said whispered under her breath. “What are you doing?” Allison spoke again using her arms to scoot herself away from the rest of the girls. Macy fell across Marla’s dead body in pain. Kaila looked up into Allison’s eyes, stabbing Macy twice more. Macy didn’t fight back. She was quickly bleeding out. “Don’t make a sound Alli. You’re next.” Kaila grinned.

“I had to do it!” I sobbed. “She was going to kill me too! What else was I supposed to do?” The woman next to me grabbed my hand. “I don’t even know if I’m sorry.” I looked up at the support groups’ faces. Through the haziness of my tears I could make out the pity faces they were all giving me. Ha. Only if they knew that this whole story was a lie. Only if they knew that it was me who killed my friends. But they won’t. No one ever will.