The Importance of Details | Teen Ink

The Importance of Details

January 13, 2015
By Ecsrui BRONZE, Beijing, Other
Ecsrui BRONZE, Beijing, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am a slow walker, but I never walk backwards


He began staring at the clock. ‘Three, two, one” he murmured while counting the clock. There was a ghost of smile lingering on his lips.
   

“It seemed that you have successfully escaped from the clutch of law,” said I.
     

He sighed and shook his head slightly. “ No, man. You will never understand how terrible these years are. Every night when I close my eyes, I see her face, with her eyes accusing me. Sometimes I even felt that I was mad and all the things were just my fabrication.”
   

“You did kill her, right?” I tried to calm down, feeling a fire was burning in my heart.
   

 He seemed quite hesitant to speak a word.
   

 “Come on! We both knew that the prescription period had passed. You owe me an explanation.” I began to plead.
   

 After a long time of silence, finally, he opened his mouth. “ 20 years ago, when I was an impetuous young man. I saw Melinda, my girlfriend, was hanging out with another man. She laughed so happily, much happier than when she was with me. I was so furious and I lost control. When she arrived home, we began to quarrel and then my mind went blank. I killed her. But it was she who picked up the knife first. Then I fled to this country, working anonymously until you find me.” He gave a long exhalation of guilt. I could tell that his guilt was lessened after telling me the truth. But I couldn’t forgive him.
   

“You know? The man Melinda has been hanging out with was me. I am her brother.” I stared at his expression of aghast.
   

 “But… but time was up, right? You don’t have any right to arrest me.” He backed off from me, trying to escape.
Quickly I picked up my handcuff and locked his wrists. “ You are under arrest, Jack.”
   

“Why? Time was over man! You cannot arrest me now! I will sue you. And you didn’t have any evidence!” he yelled desperately.
     

I took out my recording pen and smirked, “ Actually, right before you came to this café, I adjusted the clock 1 hour ahead. When we were talking, you barely noticed the time was changed. After so many years of revenge, finally, I could sleep well, knowing the justice was served.”


The author's comments:

I love reading Sherlock Homels and I get this inspiration from the anime series Detective Conan,  hope you don't mind with some details in this novel since my lack of enough knowledge in criminology.