A Cruel Adventure | Teen Ink

A Cruel Adventure

By ZiadTheCreator BRONZE, Ames, Iowa
ZiadTheCreator BRONZE, Ames, Iowa

In the dead of the night, when the moon is fullest, and at its highest point, when there are no stars in the sky, and the wolves are howling their long slow moans. When it is winter; when the snow is falling like a spilled sack of flour; when the wind is screaming at the top of its lungs; and when the cold is biting, no gnawing, at your skin and bones. 

In the midst of a dark, shadowy, damp forest, where there are red glowing eyes coming out from between the shadows of the towering trees; in the area where the brambles are thickest; and the thorns are sharpest; and there are ominous screeches that seem to have no source, there lies a rather little short cabin. A witch’s cabin.
Kaden and Sam were sprinting as fast as their legs could carry them in the middle of a blizzard, the blizzard of the millennium. Kaden was a redhead with short, coppery rust colored hair, and gray eyes. He had freckles all over his face, so that it looked like someone spilled a whole barrel of freckles at his face and arms. Now, Kaden was the sporty kid.  Sam on the other hand, is the girl that has short, blonde hair which she likes to dye. This time, she dyed the back half black. She has stone-ice colored eyes, and an energetic personality. She’s the thinker. “Do you see anything?” Sam asked.
“Yeah, I see snow,” replied Kaden with a too smug of a smile on his face. 
“Ha. I forgot to laugh at that one,” said Sam with an expressionless look on her face.“There’s got to be a house somewhere soon.”
“Well, we are running in the middle of the biggest blizzard I, my dad, or even my grandfather’s great-grandpa has ever seen, so we better hurry up and find it.”
Soon after that, they reached a forest. Not that they were aware of what was actually in it. “There! I think I see something!” yelled Kaden over the howling wind. “I think I see a forest!” And he was right. There was a forest, named The Deadwood Oaks, whose name is self-explanatory. Not that I would want to go there, but considering Sam and Kaden’s conditions, I’d probably do what they did next.
“Where?”questioned Sam.
“Over there, up ahead, about six hundred yards away,” said Kaden. Quickly, they ran into the forest. Once they were in, they paused to slowly catch their breaths. They were panting so much that it would be enough to create a sauna. 
“Ok, let’s go see if someone lives in this creepily eerie forest.” For now, the forest was very silent. Dead silent.
“Boy, it sure is quiet. Almost as if it’s too quiet,” whispered Kaden. They walked to find a place to stay, since they decided to wait the storm out. That was Sam’s idea. “I think we’re walking in circles,” said Kaden, “Since we passed this tall tree that looks like it has the face of a screaming guy that looks like he was trapped into the tree mid-scream.”
Suddenly, they heard an ear-piercing scream that came from behind them. As a natural reflex, they ran as fast as they could in the opposite direction. They ran and ran for what seemed like hours until they reached a small and almost perfectly round cabin.“Let's hope we're safe for now," said Sam.
“Come on, let’s see if someone lives there,” Sam said.
“Ok, you knock on it.”said Kaden.
“What? I thought you were going to knock on it,” replied Sam quickly.
“Ok, let’s both knock on it,” said Kaden. So that’s what they did. They both knocked on it. A short old lady opened the door almost immediately before they knocked.
“Hello, come on in, now, dearies,” She said in an enchantingly welcoming and warm voice. They went in. Inside, she gave them a cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows and cookies.
“These cookies taste great, what’s the main ingredient?” asked Sam.
“Human blood, my dear,” said the little old lady whose voice wasn’t as warm and welcoming anymore. “COME HERE MY DARLINGS, YOU HAVEN’T EATEN SUPPER YET!”
“No thank you, I think I’ll pass,” said Kaden politely.
“WAIT, YOUR PARENTS HAVE COME FOR DINNER!” screeched the witch. Out of the ceiling, the dead corpses of their parents were hanging and swinging lifelessly. But something was wrong. Each of their parent’s fingers and toes were gone, eaten off.“Mom! Dad! How dare you, you ugly old witch!” screamed Sam.
“Come on Sam, if we stay any longer we’ll have the same fate as our parents!” yelled Kaden. 
They bolted out the door and into the woods. The woods were screaming now. They heard the sound of thousands of wolves, mountain lions, owls, and murderous bats. They only ran faster, but Kaden tripped and fell. He was covered in bats and wolves second later. Sam looked back and saw something that she would never forget. Where Kaden tripped, there was blood all over the snow and on the wolves’ muzzles. After that, she ran and never looked back. 
When she reached her city, she found that her city was no more. It wasn’t there. It was all covered in snow. Then came the horrifying part. Everywhere she looked, she saw blood. She also saw the bodies of the city’s people either burned or crucified. She was frozen in shock. She dropped down into the snow and took out her knife. She couldn’t live with it anymore. She accidentally dropped the knife and fell on it. Everything went black.

This was an entry for my local library's scary story contest.