When Darkness Became Her | Teen Ink

When Darkness Became Her

January 21, 2014
By ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
92 articles 0 photos 88 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are only confined by the walls you build around yourself." "Follow your heart, but take your brain with you." "You were born to be real, not to be perfect."


I wasn't looking for sympathy when the darkness chose me. I didn't want people to show empathy towards me, or even glance at me. I knew I was a lost cause, because my soul had been lost. I was too weak to deny the darkness any longer, I had no chains to pull me away.
No waiting hands to pull me out of the sea that crushed me.
I had nothing.
I was no longer rooted to this place. The darkness claimed me, marked me, and set me on a lonely path.
This soreness inside my chest only made me realize how hollow I was, that the chasm inside my chest would get deeper each moment.
Each second.
I walked alone, that was my choice. Nobody should have to go through the pain of being a nothing.
When they used to be a somebody.
This agony was the only thing that made me feel human, because I knew I had this one emotion left.
The darkness was like a chain of events leading up to now. I could not afford to let go of this one thing I had.
My pain... How little I must seem to the world.
The monster I've become is the only creature I'm destined to be.
A living shell.
When darkness became me, it took all my human self with it.
Now as I look into the mirror, I see a girl with nothing.
Because she had nothing.
She was nothing.
And nothing was me.