School Violence: Ruining the Experience for Others? | Teen Ink

School Violence: Ruining the Experience for Others?

By ACunn22 BRONZE, Chillicothe, Ohio
ACunn22 BRONZE, Chillicothe, Ohio

Do things like fights, gun threat, and bullying really affect the school much?

Does school violence affect the way students act and have a good learning experience? Things like, bullying, fighting (e.g., punching, slapping, kicking), weapon use, cyberbullying, gang violence, can occur during school (classrooms, electives, lunch), school sponsored events, or away from school.

According to CDC the US Department of Education, “The first step in preventing school violence is to understand the extent and nature of the problem . Nearly 24% of students had been in a physical fight on school property one or more times during the 12 months before the survey.

Nationwide, about 7% of students had not gone to school at least 1 day during the 30 days before the survey because they felt they would be unsafe at school or on their way to or from school”. School violence is a big problem. According to CDC, students do not attend school for the fear of being unsafe going to and from school. CDC also says that 24% of students have been in a physical fight on school grounds.
According to Teaching Tolerance, “Young people around the country have been doing anti-violence work for years, but the February 2018 shooting in Parkland, Florida, thrust their calls for better gun-control laws and mental health services into the national spotlight”. Teacher Tolerance states that school shootings have been starting recently and people have wanted better gun-control laws.

According to Arizona State University, “Bullying is widespread and perhaps the most underreported safety problem on American school campuses. Contrary to popular belief, bullying occurs more often at school than on the way to and from there. Once thought of as simply a rite of passage or relatively harmless behavior that helps build young people's character, bullying is now known to have long-lasting harmful effects, for both the victim and the bully”. Bullying is a big problem in the US, and can form a bad image on a person being bullied or the person doing the bullying.

In conclusion, school violence (fights, gun threat, and bullying) is a big problem. According to CDC, students do not attend school for the fear of being unsafe going to and from school. CDC also says that 24% of students have been in a physical fight on school grounds. Teacher Tolerance states that school shootings have been starting recently and people have wanted better gun-control laws. Bullying is a big problem in the US, and can form a bad image on a person being bullied or the person doing the bullying.