Bitter Truths | Teen Ink

Bitter Truths

April 27, 2012
By Chandler Holt BRONZE, Melbourne, Arkansas
Chandler Holt BRONZE, Melbourne, Arkansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Should people bully? No! It is repulsive. It is distressing knowing that people bully. What’s even worse is that every single day hundreds, and even hundreds of thousands, of people are bullied without cessation. It is a vile act to commit, and we are all guilty of it at some point in our lives. Once you have committed this loathsome act of aggression, you have a disposition to continue. I am no saint, yet even I have bullied, and I have been bullied. Neither side of that fence is enjoyable.

I have learned that bullying starts usually at home. We learned it from: parents, siblings, television, music, and all sorts of places. Through my life, I am learning that you cannot blame others, we make the final decision to bully and the consequences are on us for that.
One of the most common places bullying occurs is at schools. It happens at schools mostly because of different cliques of people not agreeing or when groups get a new person they want to haze the “newbie”. Hazing is just another type of bullying. The bully likes to try and feel dominant and by picking on other people at school the bully then can have his false sense of dominance.
Bullying affects everyone in some way. People that witness other people getting bullied live with one of two things. One; “People should have helped the person getting bullied,” or two: think it is okay for them to be a bully seeing as though others are doing it. The people being bullied react in many different ways some being: school shootings, suicide, depression, and dealing with it.
I have learned that bullies like to target people’s insecurities. People think bullying is only physical. Well... Surprise! It’s not! Bullying can also be mentally tormenting other people. Seeing bullying now and knowing what it is I catch myself with grimace look. It is repulsive! No one wins when bullying occurs.
Bullying is immoral and cruel don’t live in denial thinking that you don’t bully, we all have but knowing how hurtful and destructive to a person and their life it can be you are accountable for it now. The bullied kids that stand up to bullying…God Bless.