Youth Discrimination | Teen Ink

Youth Discrimination

By Icy96 PLATINUM, Romeoville, Illinois
Icy96 PLATINUM, Romeoville, Illinois

Horace Mann: “Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”

I’m seventeen. I’m an AP student, a good friend, and a mentor. I do my schoolwork, respect my teachers, maintain healthy relationships, and aspire to one day become a teacher. I seem friendly enough, right? If I were already a teacher, or just an adult in general, I would be treated and spoken to with respect. But I’m not an adult; I’m seventeen, and that automatically makes me rude, obnoxious, lazy, stupid, and overall worthless as a person. Apparently I don’t deserve respect from teachers or security guards. They don’t know me, and they don’t want to know me. My very existence is the bane of theirs. This is why I am spoken to harshly, suspiciously. I’m a teenager; I must have done something wrong.
Young people are treated like some kind of minority. Generalizations about us have created unfair and undeserved stereotypes. I’m not a punk, I’m not disrespectful, and I’m not stupid. So why am I treated as if I am? I’m tired of being looked down on. I’m tired of being talked to like a delinquent. The prejudice against youth needs to end, or this generation will grow up to be as cynical and judgmental as the people who treat us this way now. I know plenty of young men and women who, like myself, strive to disprove this flawed perception. We will ensure that at least one party is mature enough to keep an open mind. We can only hope that the adults who rule our society can find it in themselves to do the same.

I wrote this while sitting in Non-Compliance one day. I wasn't there for anything terrible, I had just forgotten my uniform. No big deal, right? Well the supervisors there didn't know or care why I was there, they just gave me a dirty look and talked to me like I was the very reason the Non-Compliance room existed. It wasn't my fault they hated their job, but they took it out on me anyway. So I decided I was going to complain to the principal later about the rudeness of his staff. Instead of a letter, I ended up writing this.