Promoting Positivity | Teen Ink

Promoting Positivity

March 24, 2015
By SierraD SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
SierraD SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Students who live their lives unidentifiable in a school’s social scope is akin to an observer at a sporting match. Rather than being noticed, they do the noticing. They take note of scores and plays and history, while sitting on the bleachers and eating popcorn.


It’s assumed they are unaffected by the game-- fouls or goals; it doesn’t matter to them-- they’re only there to watch. This is not necessarily true. Bystanders and audience members in school are just as influenced by cruel or kind words, regardless of if the words were directed at them. They may feel empathy or anger at injustices, they may know they should speak up, but  are afraid. It’s not their game, right?


Again, this is a myth. My high school has proven that one person can help make someone’s day better without needing to know their name; that a small gesture can make a grand difference.


One day, after a school-wide issue with the social media app YikYak, my high school participated in National No-Hate week. Prompted by students in Key Club, inspirational, flattering, or funny anecdotes were left on lockers. The notes radiated positivity; and despite knowing they were impersonal, I couldn’t help but smile because people had taken time out of their day to write 2,000 Post-its just to spread a little love. Initially, I brushed this off as a one-time occurrence, a little guilt-ridden compensation. But it didn’t end there. Throughout the semester similar happenings occurred-- around the holidays, social studies classes left kind words on wrapping paper in locker vents. For Valentine’s Day, funny, pop-culture pickup lines donned every available space.


Then the biggest investment of all: large, wall-dwelling whiteboards in almost every hallway. Everyday, there is a kind word somewhere on those boards. Knowing that people are doing small things to make the daily environment increasingly positive is comforting. Taking steps against bullying is more than preventing and punishing. It also takes building up kindness to counter the negative.There will always be someone to get you down, but there are strangers who take time to pick you back up.


The author's comments:

A submission for the "Brewers Strike Out Bullying" contest.