Balls or Books | Teen Ink

Balls or Books

By NickonMaher BRONZE, Rolling Hills Estates, California
NickonMaher BRONZE, Rolling Hills Estates, California

Balls or Books 

Most children’s favorite part of the school day is when the recess bells rings. Racing to the shed, they can’t wait to grab a ball to play with their friends. Although some schools are able to afford new sports equipment, there are many schools in less fortunate areas that could benefit from new or used sports equipment donations. Sports are essential to a child’s development, both physically and socially, but with tightening budgets, schools have to choose between balls or books.  

A lack of sports equipment could have a negative impact on a student’s physical health. Physical activity helps keep kids healthy. As stated by professional writer Lakshmy Nair, children who play sports are healthier, and lower the risk of having “blood pressure, heart disease, osteoporosis, or other chronic diseases.”i Sports are more than just a way to pass the time; they are a path to a healthier and happier lifestyle. 

More sports equipment could positively impact a child’s social skills and self-esteem. Interactions made while playing sports could help students prepare for the real world and life off the court. Playing sports teaches children how to “interact with peers in a friendly manner” and learn to “cope with success and failure as a team” i. Pastimes like sports could also lead to having more self-confidence. When children participate in sports they have an “easier time maintaining healthy body weight… and have more positive body images” i.“When you play well and win games, you gain a sense of accomplishment”, which boosts self-confidence i. Team sports influence children’s life in many positive ways but this is only possible if a schools budget allows it. 

Playing sports could do more than improve physical, and social life for a child but also keep kids safe and out of trouble. As stated By Caitlin Piccirillo-Stosser, in her article Helping Kids Stay Out of Trouble, One Sport at a Time, Big cities like “New York and Chicago” have a high teenage crime rate.ii Schools that have taken action to find a solution and “have implemented after school sports programs” that lower the amount of time kids are “bored" ii. Schools and youth centers that do not have the equipment to provide sports for children, crime rates in teenagers will continue to rise. 

Many underfunded schools use their budget on essentials and cannot afford new equipment. Due to lack of funding “schools are turning to the web” and “and by extension of friends, family, and strangers” for donations.iii Any small donation goes a long way for a child in need. Although some schools are receiving some donations, this lack of equipment is concerning to families who wish the best for their children. 

In conclusion schools in less fortunate areas can’t benefit from sports equipment and the advantages of team sports.  To solve this issue people should donate used sports equipment instead of throwing out unwanted items. Donating used or unwanted equipment to a local school or youth center could benefit the children's lives and better the neighborhood. By giving back to the community we can strive for a better future for the children. 

My article is about how donating used or unwanted sports eqipment to children or schools in need could have a positive impact on a child's development.

Reference Page 

Nair, L. (n.d.). The Positive Effects of Playing Sports in School. Retrieved from livestrong.com/article/438668-the-positive-effects-of-playing-sports-in-school/ 

ii 
Piccirillo-Stosser, C. (n.d.). Helping Kids Stay Out of Trouble, One Sport at a Time. Retrieved from greenchisports.uchicago.edu/helping-kids-stay-out-of-trouble-one-sport-at-a-time/ 
iii 
USA TODAY High School Sports. (2015, July 29). As budgets dwindle, high schools and youth sports teams turn to crowdfunding. Retrieved from usatodayhss.com/2015/as-budgets-dwindle-high-schools-and-youth-sports-teams-turn-to-crowdfunding