Years of Service | Teen Ink

Years of Service

May 6, 2009
By Alexandra Knowles BRONZE, River Ridge, Louisiana
Alexandra Knowles BRONZE, River Ridge, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

After completing service hours for the past five years, I have come to the realization that my deeds not only benefited those I was helping, but my experiences also improved my own character and outlook upon life. Most noticeably, my service at Children’s Hospital over the past few summers has really taught me about life lessons and truly appreciating the things I have. Although I only worked in the gift shop at Children’s, I had the privilege of witnessing firsthand the patients and families’ most difficult times and their moments of triumph over their illnesses; moreover, I also had the privilege of meeting these people and having them in my life. Although it was extremely difficult to witness the families of the patients crying and waiting in the lobby restlessly for news of their loved ones, I think these instances taught me to appreciate my own health and the health of my family. However, the most rewarding aspect of my service was seeing the happiness on their faces when they could leave the hospital and return back to their homes. My time of service is closely related to the bible quotes in Isaiah 42: 1 and Psalm 91:2. God says, “Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with whom I am pleased, upon whom I have my spirit; he shall bring forth justice to the nations.” He also refers to the guidance and security He offers his children when He states, “You have the Lord for your refuge, you have made the Most High your stronghold.” In the latter quotes, God not only praises those who act selflessly and serve their fellow human beings but also those who put their trust in God. I feel that my experiences at Children’s Hospital not only taught me about gratitude, but they also strengthened my own relationship with God and allowed me to put my life and faith in His hands.