The World We Live In | Teen Ink

The World We Live In

By Morgan Fowler BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
Morgan Fowler BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

The world we live in often overlooks the people who deserve more honor than most. We take advantage of all the honorable things people do for us. The people behind the scenes often are forgotten because they aren't recognized for their honorary acts. The women who worked on the home front in World War II, often called, "Rosie the Riveters," are a prime example.

Nobody has ever taken the time to travel around their state, and surrounding states collecting storied of these breath taking (now) elderly women. They did an outstanding thing for our country, but nobody has ever gained an interest of capturing their stories... Until now.

I currently volunteer for a non-profit organization and we venture around the state of West Virginia and a few of the surrounding areas in Ohio capturing the remarkable stories of these wonderful women. Most of the women have been recorded by our professional camera operator and will be the stars of our "Rosie" documentary once we finalize the collection of all the stories.

Each woman has a different story, a different personality, and some are more knowledgeable than others, but that doesn't mean they are any more important to us. Collecting every "Rosie" story we can is our top priority. These women are the last of a dying breed, we need to collect them before it is too late! Such honorary women should never be forgotten.

These women were the reason World War II was a success for the United States. How else would we have gotten the supplies we needed from the factories at home with all the men at war? Exactly... We wouldn't have even had a chance against the Nazi soldiers.

Don't forget these women, because they deserve the honor we are giving them! If you know of any "Rosie" women around the US, feel free to contact our non-profit, Thanks! Plain & Simple of West Virginia.