The Joy of Giving | Teen Ink

The Joy of Giving

By lupe reyes BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
lupe reyes BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Someone once said “To help the poor is to help yourself.” Perhaps, that person meant, that helping those in needs will later result in internal satisfaction. I usually never do community service, but when I heard the opportunity to join my school’s service club, Interact, I hands down said “yes.” The opportunity to help people in need excited me and as I signed up to attend Saint Mary’s Food Bank, the urge of helping people made my body tremble

As I walked after school to Mrs. Green, I could feel the palm of my hands moisturizing by the minute. The water of my nerves ran down the side of my head and I could feel the tip of my shirt soaking with fresh sweat. The clock ticked and I could feel the time of going to Saint Mary’s Food Bank getting closer. Ten minutes later the bus arrived and we were on our way to the bank. On the way many things came through my mind. How was it going to look like, will there be homeless people there, and will I enjoy my experience.

As I continued to explore my mind, the bus came to a stop. “We’re here” yelled the bus driver. I could feel the palms of my hand beginning to moisturize once again. As I got off I fell into a deep stance. This was the food bank? , I had never seen anything like it. To my amazement it reminded me of a place I would go in Mexico to feed the poor. It was brown, wide and had an old look to it. As we entered the bank as a group, the essence of it was very comfortable. I felt like I was home. Finally my nerves were gone, and I was ready to work.

Before we started working we were given instructions but as soon as we finished our tour of instructions, the duty of service began. We were all separated into groups and given a specific job. I was assigned to place beans into a box. As a group we worked fast, the boxes would move and move so fast that sometimes I would have to ask for help. Although I might have broken a nail, the feeling of knowing that I was doing something for someone out there, who would be satisfied with a meal a day , made me realize that the true meaning of community service is making a difference in someone’s life or being able to put a smile on someone’s face.

Community service can bring out the best of everyone. It provides the feeling of accomplishment and internal satisfaction. Just knowing that you’re making a difference in someone’s life is an everlasting feeling. So what are you waiting for? Come join Interact and be a member in your community.

imkayydavis SILVER, Missouri City , Texas

"Be yourself and not who people want you to be."

This article is awesome. I love the quote, "To help the poor is to help yourself." My parents and grandparents always tell me,"it is better to give, than to receive." These quotes are true. I thought they were just saying it to say it, until I finally realized that it made sense. It feels great to help someone that is in need, knowing there is something in return for me.  

jacky 123 said...
awesome!!!!

Yuri Bonilla BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
I love your article! You are very good at convincing people to perform volunteer work in their community. Keep promoting community service to the people around you!

learnhow said...
Its spelled Thirsty

SUNNYD said...
I AM REALLY THRISTY AFTER READING THIS.

KENDRA said...
well done..........ARTICLE=GOOD WORK

kim Ngyen said...
Amazing, nothing will beat this article

SHAWN 198 said...
keep up the good work.

Paul said...
Go Interact! what part of arizona are you from?

I am from New York and i read your article and it was really good.. keep it up! go Mexico!

Teen Mom said...
Funny. and wow that was Insipring!

Marchy said...
Community service is quiet over rated? dont you think?

your mom said...
hahahahahha. that was cool!

john said...
the aritcle was ok , it could have been better but it was interesting!

Yuri said...
that was great lupe. in mexico? what part?

Kristina said...
wow. thats amazing, i remeber when i was involved with interact but in Nevada.

bRIZ said...
GREAT into !

mikey said...
What interact ?