Christmas Smiles | Teen Ink

Christmas Smiles

April 24, 2008
By Anonymous

I am very fortunate to have so many blessings in my life. I am a very satisfied, confident individual. I am happy to give of myself and my time to the good spirits and well-being of others. I enjoy giving of myself to help others, young and old. At times something as simple as a smile or a nod can help brighten a day of lift a heart. To volunteer is to be available to give of your self for the betterment of others.

I tend to make myself available at the most opportune instances. Last Christmas, the Claus Family, yes, the one from the North Pole, needed an elf to accompany Santa and Mrs. Claus on one of their Christmas visits to a local elementary school.

I did not realize when I became Ernie, the elf, and set out for our afternoon visit, just how much satisfaction and excitement we would share that day. When all of those little children gazed up at Santa and at me, I really could see the twinkle in their eyes and the joy in their hearts. These moments were truly heartwarming and sincere. There was nothing over-commercialized or artificial about their smiles or excitement. The apples and candy that we passed out to each little child were small compared to the divine feeling of love and Christmas cheer that returned to us in each of the smiling faces. I began to reminisce about the days of young, simple adoration for the man called Old St. Nick.

I devoted myself and donated my time to the children. I enjoyed every moment of the day. I do volunteer for several local charities, community events, and much needed services in our area. Ernie gave me the opportunity to spend time with children one-on-one and really see how the desire to share Christmas with others can be a most meaningful experience.