Promoting in the Program | Teen Ink

Promoting in the Program

I am involved in an organization called Boy Scouts of America. As part of many requirements in order to advance in class, you are required to do a certain amount of community service. Each class requires about six hours of community service. I usually just did the regular old jobs such as cleaning the parks and beaches and volunteering at homeless kitchens. For my Eagle project the past summer I was required to do about 400 hours of community service. After pondering on ideas for my project I arrived at the conclusion that I would build a playground for the Mary haven school for the mentally challenged. At first I expected the project just to be something to get done with to further advance myself in life, but I later learned many lessons about life. When I first met the young children I was building the playground for I was amazed at how much this playground meant for them. After the project was complete all the children hugged me and couldn’t thank me enough for the beautiful playground lying right in front of their eyes. The joy on the children’s faces playing on their knew slides brought tears to my eyes.