coaching lessons | Teen Ink

coaching lessons

After attending some of my local playground’s games during my junior year, I became very interested in coaching a team of younger kids. I spoke with one of the supervisors and expressed my desire to help with games and practices. He delegated me to be an assistant coach on a 9-10 year old girls basketball team. After only a couple of games, I was openly sharing my knowledge and advice with the coach and players. I suggested various drills the players could run during warm-ups. Also, I taught the smaller girls how to protect the ball from bigger defenders. I worked with the taller girls by showing them plays that would allow them to utilize their height. I wanted to share with them everything I had learned throughout my years of playing basketball. I felt like I was truly making a difference. I wanted to be a role model for these girls and show them the importance of a team. Growing up, sports helped me find myself and become the person I am today. I wanted to help other girls experience the self-confidence and determination I gained from playing sports. After the season was over, the supervisor asked me if I would be interested in coaching a 9-10 year old coed soccer team by myself. I told him that I was flattered by the offer and would love to coach again. I was nervous at first, but I quickly realized how much I enjoyed it. I went out to every practice and game with a smile on my face ready to teach them something new. Needless to say, my team was a great group of kids who worked really hard to win the championship game. As I was awarding the trophies, I looked around at all of their sweaty, smiling faces and was taken back by how unbelievably proud I was of each and every one of them. I can honestly say it was one of the most rewarding activities I have ever taken part in.