Heroes | Teen Ink

Heroes MAG

If you want to be a hero, do you haveto be Micheal Jordan or Brett Favre? I see heroes everySaturday. They ride my horse, and I lead them around thearena; if it's nice out we'll walk outside for a little bit,sometimes we jog. I (and the other volunteers) see 15 heroesevery weekend for an hour and a half. You see, I volunteer forthe Spirit Riders, handicapped children who come to ride thehorses. We work hard for those 90 minutes. We lead the horses,walk beside the horse so the kids don't fall off, and ridebehind those who are too disabled to hold themselves up. Andevery time the kids are done, I see smiles on those who havebeen shunned by others. I see bright faces of the parentswatching their children be accepted by man and beast alike. Isee beyond the crippled leg, the autism, the Down's syndrometo the kid inside, the kid who is so happy they can dosomething their brother can't. And I see the face of every kidwho ever picked on someone in a wheelchair. Come on, admit it.Everyone picks on the "different" kid, don't they? Iknow I did. But now I look at these kids who traditionally areoutcasts and see heroes. They are inspirations to us all. AndI, for one, won't forget it. When you think of it like that,it makes "hero" seem different, doesn't it?