Library Ladies | Teen Ink

Library Ladies MAG

Every summer, I volunteer at the smallest library in New England: the South Dennis Free Public Library. Twice a week, I shelve books, create bulletin boards and dust the musty old tomes. After all my hard work, I talk to "the girls." You might think they are my age, but they are not. Actually, they are all in their late sixties or early seventies.

We sit, eating snacks and discussing anything and everything. Hot topics are restaurants, the weather, personal problems and the latest library news. Often mentioned are local politics and - our favorite gab-fest subject - gossip. My life was hectic with two other jobs, so the gals always had plenty of advice for me.

I loved being so open with my library ladies. They kept all my secrets and loved to compare their youths to mine. "The girls" and I have a special bond that I'll never forget. They care about me. I am so flattered that they consider my opinions important. They never treat me like a kid who is only 16 and without much experience. Their support has enriched my life.